Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I want to keep stock ride quality, these are my plans.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-10, 12:55 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want to keep stock ride quality, these are my plans.

Hello, I just bought my SC400 two weeks ago, it's got oem LS chrome wheels in it, which I plan to change in a couple of months.
I love the ride quality and I want to keep it like that as much as possible, I want to get 18 inch rims but I don't want to go too thin on the tire so any suggestions?
Also I want a 1.5 inch drop, would that sacrifice ride quality too much? What springs, are any supra lowering springs compatible with the SC?
Old 08-22-10, 01:21 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Supra springs and shocks are compatible (93-98 Supra MK4), but must be used in conjunction with each other, no mix-n-match on the shocks/springs (no Supra to SC, only Supra to Supra, SC to SC). As for ride quality, everyone is going to have a different opinion on what springs and shocks. My suggestion from personal experience is the KYB AGX shocks (for MK4 Supra) with the Eibach pro kit (again for the MK4). Gives a tad bit more than a 1.5'' drop, but rides very nicely, and dampening rate is adjustable with the AGX shocks.

Bottom line questions though, are what are you plans for the car and what is your budget like? Are you going to want to go lower/higher later? Is the car a DD, weekend toy, garage queen, or combination?

Hope that helps out a bit. Hit the search function up top and search a bit for more sping/shock combo information. There are tons of different setups floating around here, and all with different results and opinions.

Last edited by turbodremz; 08-22-10 at 02:22 PM.
Old 08-22-10, 01:44 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going with the setup you just mentioned as it sounds very much to what I want. I'm not planning to build a race car, I like the luxury aspect of the car and I want to keep it like that, I'm not doing 20 inch rims or bigger, I think 18's are good enough, some nice paint and that's it.
My budget is kind of tight now, but I have time to do this, no rush, once again, thanks.
Old 08-22-10, 02:23 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Meanshyguy
Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going with the setup you just mentioned as it sounds very much to what I want. I'm not planning to build a race car, I like the luxury aspect of the car and I want to keep it like that, I'm not doing 20 inch rims or bigger, I think 18's are good enough, some nice paint and that's it.
My budget is kind of tight now, but I have time to do this, no rush, once again, thanks.
No problem. And i just noticed I made a typo above (has been fixed), but be sure the shocks are for a MK4 Supra. Also be sure to check the classified on supraforums.com, I see KYB shocks and the Eibach springs pop up from time to time for a good price
Old 08-22-10, 02:25 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

Thanks again!!
Old 08-24-10, 01:40 PM
Meanshyguy
Driver

I forgot to ask you if the set up you suggested would be close to stock ride quality?
Old 09-06-10, 04:39 PM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default shocks

i have the same plans for my sc300 and id like to keep close to stock comfort /ride but i want to put 18 's on and want a little drop do you have any experience with the e bay springs like eibach or teneby springs they say they lower the car about 1 ' in front and back is that enough drop to make difference in looks and is it a easy install thansk for the help tom
Old 09-06-10, 05:36 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Meanshyguy
I forgot to ask you if the set up you suggested would be close to stock ride quality?
Better than stock quality by far, and the adjustable shocks make it even better when you want a more aggressive feeling

Originally Posted by flash92sc
i have the same plans for my sc300 and id like to keep close to stock comfort /ride but i want to put 18 's on and want a little drop do you have any experience with the e bay springs like eibach or teneby springs they say they lower the car about 1 ' in front and back is that enough drop to make difference in looks and is it a easy install thansk for the help tom
If the springs you are looking at are for a MK4 Supra, be sure to add an extra .5'' to the lowering rate. I currently have Eibach Springs on my car, and IMO some of the best springs made, and make a huge difference in stance of the car.
Old 09-06-10, 08:19 PM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default springs

i am satisfied with the 1 drop i think i was just going to order the Eibachs for the sc so i can use my nearly new shocks i have on the car . will this setup be good enough or should i try to find the KYB shocks n springs for the MK4 supra