Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

f-sport BBK grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 12:01 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f-sport BBK grinding noise

my car is 06is250 and i just put f-sport bbk in front and rear.

after doing so, the car started to have grinding noise when i press the brake pedal and it sounds like it only comes from the front, most noticiably front left, maybe I'm closer there but i would assume both front side.

My drive way is uphill, like 30-40 degree. When in P gear, I press the brake and keep it down then I gear to R and slowly release the brake and it starts grinding like hell loud until a complete stop and it stops. When shifting back to D and while holding brake down it still grinding there.

I also notice that when coming to a complete stop, fully release the brake after turn off the car (at this time the car is completely quite,) I could hear a very low and subtle grinding noise from the front brake too and it keeps grinding slowly for like 10-20 seconds until eventually it stops. It's kind of like the 2 calipers is releasing outward and making that slowly grinding sounds.

Please help!
Old 07-27-10, 01:52 AM
DaKi3241
Lead Lap

um grinding noise.... if u just installed them... maybe it might be the break in period. meaning it will eventually fade out over time.... BUT i do remember when I installed coilovers... my dust shield was touching the rotors... so i had this scraping sound wherever i went permanently. Later, I took the wheels off, saw that the dust shields were touching the rotors... and just bent the shields more outwards with a simple screw driver and done...

but yeah GL on that.. im sure someone else can chime in on that
Old 07-27-10, 03:32 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it a grinding noise or a brake squeal noise?
Old 07-27-10, 04:50 AM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive just installed mine and i got a little grinding niose too. You have to really break them in by flooring it to 60 than stopping as fast as possible. You must do this 10 times in a row. I noticed a big difference once i did this to mine. I got this information from the installiation guide of the f-sport BBK.

If its a BBK you shouldnt have the shield anymore Its supposed to be removed.
Old 07-27-10, 11:11 AM
khoab88
Lead Lap

Default re

Originally Posted by montgb
Is it a grinding noise or a brake squeal noise?
it's the grinding noise, not sqeaking.

so what should i do to cure this? It's been like 2 weeks and nothing really improve. Should i floor down like 60-0 for 10x in a row? If that work then I'm down to do it. wait... where should I do it? haha... not the highway though.

How about the dust shield? Some people mention it. Should or Shouldn't i get it install? I don't even know what it is.
Old 07-27-10, 11:14 AM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

its already on the car and when you install larger rotors they rub
Old 07-27-10, 11:14 AM
Willdb15
Lead Lap

the bbk rotors are 1.5 inches bigger so thats 1.5 inches closer to that dust shield
Old 07-27-10, 11:47 PM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by khoab88

so what should i do to cure this? It's been like 2 weeks and nothing really improve. Should i floor down like 60-0 for 10x in a row? If that work then I'm down to do it. wait... where should I do it? haha... not the highway though.

How about the dust shield? Some people mention it. Should or Shouldn't i get it install? I don't even know what it is.
Yes. That's what they call "seasoning" the brake pads. What I had to do with the Baers on my other car is to go to 60mph, then press firmly to make the car quickly go to 40 mph. Get it to 60mph again then quickly press again to go to 20mph. Repeat this 10 times.

Do not get this confused with riding the brakes to wear out the pedal. It causes glazing and that is what makes squeaks. If that should happen, put the car in reverse, then firmly and quickly put the brakes on. The pattern of the drilled rotors will scrape off the glaze.
Old 08-03-10, 01:18 AM
uz07lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by khoab88

Just look at my post in the classifids under stock 350 bbk and you will see a pic of what it is. In the install for the F-sport bbk they tell you that the shield must be removed.This might be the grinding noise.
Old 08-03-10, 07:07 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Micaiah
Yes. That's what they call "seasoning" the brake pads. What I had to do with the Baers on my other car is to go to 60mph, then press firmly to make the car quickly go to 40 mph. Get it to 60mph again then quickly press again to go to 20mph. Repeat this 10 times.

Do not get this confused with riding the brakes to wear out the pedal. It causes glazing and that is what makes squeaks. If that should happen, put the car in reverse, then firmly and quickly put the brakes on. The pattern of the drilled rotors will scrape off the glaze.
Wow. So unbelievably no. It's called bedding not seasoning. Brakes aren't steaks. Follow the instructions in the link; 60-40 won't do the job.

Applying the brakes in reverse will do absolutely nothing to remove glaze. Glazed pads are junk, and glazing isn't what causes squeaks by any means.

Where do you guys hear these explanations? Clearly you're not even reading the resources on the web which ARE credible like Stoptech, Brembo, AP, and Wilwood.