Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best high performance suspension for GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 09:31 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 253LEXX
I believe the common rates are 9k front/8k rear for the CS setup, but Tein USA told me my setup was 9k front/6k rear. I don't know why they said my rear was only 6k, but I assumed it was different when I ordered it from what they sell now. Here is a piece of the email I recieved from Tein USA,

Right now your Comfort Sport kit uses 9kg front springs and 6kg rear springs. You can increase the spring rates +2kg over those rates with the current damper valving. If you would like to use anything stiffer than that, we normally recommend revalving the dampers to match. Unfortunately we do not offer an 11kg spring for the front. You can use either a 10kg or 12 kg spring, and the damper valving should be fine.

I definitely don't like the idea of a stiffer spring on the currently soft valving I have, I'd be afraid of a pogo stick effect where the shock couldn't control the spring. Think I'm going to try the BCR setup and see how it goes, either 12k front/10k rear, or maybe even 14k front/12k rear.
If you get me the info on how to get the higher rate coilover, I would definitely try them out. I also don't like the softness when I want to do spirited driving, but don't wanna leave the comfort for my daily driving. I've been researching this for a while. I called different companies and they tell me 4-6 weeks for springs. If they have em in stock, I'll order them this week and put em in as soon as I get them.
Old 10-12-09, 09:04 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't ever take that long for a special order BCR kit.

PM us for suspension questions or setup and pricing. Depending on your spring rates and if revalving is needed, the longest wait time should be around 2 weeks.

12k/10k should be a good setup for the GS with a balance of ride quality and handling.
Old 10-12-09, 02:46 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming that you're looking for a street coilover and not wanting to spend more $1500 for coilovers. If money wasn't an issue, I'd tell you to look into JRZ suspension. They will customize a setup that is to your liking. But if you're going for off the shelf suspension components, then I'd say look into the Bilstein PSS or a custom D2 racing setup that I've spent years developing. Not to bash the other companies out their that are making coilovers, but half of them don't even know what proper valving is for our cars nor do they spend the money to actually test their coilovers for the 2GS on a shock dyno to provide data to back up their products. All I ever hear from vendors are get this and that coilover... But whenever I ask for data, none of them can provide what I need. So take it from a guy who's gone through a few coilovers over the years and stick with what's proven to work.
Old 10-13-09, 10:07 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

BCR always provides shock dynos for their kits upon release. Call 'em up and ask 'em, they'll send them to you

One of the reasons we like the BCR coilovers, they are up front about their products.
Old 10-13-09, 04:26 PM
LexGS
Rookie

Exclamation Bilstein PSS - Thumbs Down!

I have a 2000 GS300, I purchased the PSS9 Kit back in 2006 for $1,700 from SHOX.COM (they are super). I have already replaced both my front Coilovers at a cost of $195 each, in 2008 and 2009 since they popped within 4 months of each other. And last week my rear driver side popped! I call Shox.com and they were told by Bilstein that Bilstein has no replacement shock for me until Jan 2010! We also found out that Bilstein has only one full PSS9 kit left period, and they are not going to break it up to honor the lifetime warranty to help me get back on the road. What a load of CRAP! Bilstein solution is for me to send in the blown shock so that they can try to rebuild it. It can take 2 to 3 weeks for me to get the shock back, if they can fix it. A company as big as Bilstein is to not be able to support their product is pretty disgusting. As far as the ride goes, it to is on the semi-soft side and when they heat up they get even more loose, so 253LEXX stay away from Bilstein PSS, they blow way to easy and the headaches you have to deal with is ridiculous! I wish I wold have known about BCR when I was making my picks back in the day.

Last edited by LexGS; 10-31-09 at 10:22 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 07:58 PM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

I ordered the BCR kit with 12k front/10k rear srpings and it appears they will be a couple weeks out. When they show up I'll be sure to let everyone know what I think.
Old 10-14-09, 09:57 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

We'll let you know as soon as they ship Lexx

Good thing about the BCR coilovers is that you can do your own rebuilds with the shock cartridge replacements. No down time and no hassles with shipping.
Old 10-14-09, 11:09 AM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Keep us informed 253LEXX..

You stepped up from the stock 10K/8K setup so please let us know how they ride for us that are going to run them on our daily driver!
Old 10-14-09, 12:44 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
BCR always provides shock dynos for their kits upon release. Call 'em up and ask 'em, they'll send them to you

One of the reasons we like the BCR coilovers, they are up front about their products.
It's funny that you said that they will provide a shock dyno of their coilovers if I call and ask. But it looks like I'm out of luck since they seem to not want to reveal that info. If you could be so kindly, could you please convince them to give you a copy of the shock dyno for the 2GS please. I'd love to do a little comparision. Thanks.
Old 10-14-09, 01:31 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

I actually called and had no trouble. I talked to a guy who was very nice and he sent them to me. I will attach them.

Can someone tell me what this means, as this is my first look at a shock dyno sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AF1-front.pdf (44.6 KB, 267 views)
File Type: pdf
AR1-rear.pdf (44.6 KB, 225 views)
Old 10-16-09, 06:09 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Alexus 300 - Did you call and ask? What was the issue?

It seems Jake got them with no problem. So there they are
Old 10-19-09, 12:07 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Alexus 300 - Did you call and ask? What was the issue?

It seems Jake got them with no problem. So there they are
Yup, I called and asked. But I guess I have too many technical questions that whoever works there didn't have a answer to so they kinda got annoyed. Can't help it for being educated in suspension dynamics right?
Old 10-20-09, 10:33 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha not sure who you talked to but talking suspension dynamics can be difficult. Hopefully those dyno sheets answer some of your questions
Old 10-20-09, 05:48 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Haha not sure who you talked to but talking suspension dynamics can be difficult. Hopefully those dyno sheets answer some of your questions
Yup, suspension tunning can get interesting. Unfortunately, those dyno sheets are pretty common. I'm more interested in the low speed compression and rebound which takes alot of work to figure out. Most companies only focus on high speed compression which is pretty common.
Old 10-31-09, 10:36 PM
LexGS
Rookie

Default 253LEXX >>>>> Status?

I ordered the two rear coilovers to replace the Bilstein PSS Crap... I got the shocks within 5 days. Today I had them installed. WOW what a difference! The installer actually had to turn the locking rings up about 1/4 inch to get the top of my wheelwell 26 inches from the ground, the way it was with the Blistein's, pretty cool. The control **** is at the half way mark (so I guess it is at 15, since it goes from 1 to 30) before they installed them. The rear feels tight, real tight, love it. Over bumps it tracks nice and feel tight! Over dips the rear doesn't move. The actual coilovers look GREAT, very strong and nicely made. Once my Bilstein goes in the front, out they go and BC Racing is going in! No more Bilstein for my Lex! So far very happy, let us see how long they last... Mike from BC Racing really did good by me, so thumbs up

253LEXX did you get the coilovers yet, have you installed them, what is your first impression, having all four...

Thanks

LexGS

Last edited by LexGS; 02-21-10 at 01:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Best high performance suspension for GS