Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best high performance suspension for GS

Old 10-04-09, 07:44 PM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best high performance suspension for GS

I've spent days reading through the forums and would like to know what the general concensus is for what to go with as far as higher performance suspension. I currently have Tein CS coilovers and they are total crap in my opinion, way too soft no matter the setting, very wallowy, poor handling. I have all new suspension components (ball joints, upper control arms, daizen bushings, tie rods, etc...) and want to upgrade to some high performance coilovers. I can handle a fairly stiff ride, my roommate has KW variant 3s on his STI and they are amazing, firm but not harsh, handle incredible, but they don't make anything for our GS's. I was leaning towards the HKS Hypermax until I saw someone comment they ride like stock. That made me worry they would be too soft. I thought about sending my Teins in to be revalved for stiffer springs but it's $150 a shock, plus the springs, and I still worry they'll suck. Any good advice for a higher performance setup? I don't need a pillow soft ride, I want to feel comfortable cruising at 100 mph, um, on the 'track', and not feel like I'm going to float off the road, I mean track. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-04-09, 08:29 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Stance coilovers..made for drifting
Old 10-04-09, 10:46 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by G2low
According to some members also made for breaking in less than a year. I have Tein SS and they ride firmer the the CS (cs=COMFORT), when the car is on the firmest setting with my front & rear strut braces it handles like a go cart. I personally love it. But im no expert..
Old 10-04-09, 11:37 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by G2low
made for drifting....for other cars

i have stances but they ride too smooth to be competitive. although i've never tried the stiffest setting, i doubt it would make much difference.
u should try KW. they are known to be great performance. or even Moton if they make it.
i think Orido uses HKS on his drift aristo. maybe do research on his setup
Old 10-05-09, 08:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 253LEXX
I've spent days reading through the forums and would like to know what the general concensus is for what to go with as far as higher performance suspension. I currently have Tein CS coilovers and they are total crap in my opinion, way too soft no matter the setting, very wallowy, poor handling. I have all new suspension components (ball joints, upper control arms, daizen bushings, tie rods, etc...) and want to upgrade to some high performance coilovers. I can handle a fairly stiff ride, my roommate has KW variant 3s on his STI and they are amazing, firm but not harsh, handle incredible, but they don't make anything for our GS's. I was leaning towards the HKS Hypermax until I saw someone comment they ride like stock. That made me worry they would be too soft. I thought about sending my Teins in to be revalved for stiffer springs but it's $150 a shock, plus the springs, and I still worry they'll suck. Any good advice for a higher performance setup? I don't need a pillow soft ride, I want to feel comfortable cruising at 100 mph, um, on the 'track', and not feel like I'm going to float off the road, I mean track. Thanks in advance for the help.
Bilstein PSS! Rebuilds? What rebuilds?

Life time warranty & heritage trumps the others.. Search..
Old 10-05-09, 11:34 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can set you guys up with BCR coilovers. They provide a nice , but firm ride and they offer A LOT of adjustability for the price you pay. They have a history of lasting a good long time too.

Do a little research on them and you'll see how many people love them. A lot of IS guys have them on this forum.

Feel free to PM us for more info, specs, or pricing
Old 10-09-09, 04:06 AM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the advice. I'm starting to lean towards the Bilstein PSS kit, thinking it might be a good value for the performace people seem to be getting from it. I'll wait to research the BCRacing setup more though.

Like I said in my original post, I'd love a set of KW variant 2 or 3s, but they don't appear to make them for the GS.

The stance coilovers seem nice, but I definitely don't want to error on the soft side again.

Thanks again for the help, I much appreciate your advice, it will hopefully save me from wasting my $$$ again.
Old 10-09-09, 07:57 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Something to consider when choosing your coilover that you "may" track often at very high speeds is linear vs. progressive spring rates.

Bilstein PSS comes with a progressive spring rate meaning that you won't feel small bumps/imperfections and the spring will "push back" the harder you push them. A linear rate spring is loaded , so to speak, which is much better for the track. Tein coilovers carry linear spring rates as a standard. With that said, you beter choice is a Tein coilover system.

Bilstein = best streetable coilover out there
Tein = arguably, best track coilover for street vehicles.
Old 10-09-09, 07:58 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

http://www.tein.com/classroom/lesson_1.html

"There are two basic types of springs, progressive and linear. A progressive spring is one in which the spring rate varies depending on the amount of load placed on the spring. So the actual spring rate is not a fixed number, it is more of a range. OEM vehicle springs and most lowering springs (including TEIN) are almost all progressive type springs. They offer good performance and ride when the damper length is set, meaning no adjustable spring seat or length.

The second type is linear springs, which have a fixed spring rate. This means the amount of weight needed to compress the spring a certain amount does not change. Linear type springs are used on most coilover type suspensions. All TEIN coilovers utilize a linear spring, as do many other brands of coilovers. Linear springs make performance more consistent as the driver can better anticipate the suspension movement."
Old 10-09-09, 08:00 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

As a point of reference, I have Tein CS's on my vehicle now and like them a lot but am moving to a more comfortable (sitting in my garage) streetable coilover with the Bilstein PSS. If you want to have the quality of bilstein give them a call to see if they can special make a Bilstein PSS9 for you instead of the PSS.
Old 10-09-09, 10:53 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 5t341th
made for drifting....for other cars

i have stances but they ride too smooth to be competitive. although i've never tried the stiffest setting, i doubt it would make much difference.
u should try KW. they are known to be great performance. or even Moton if they make it.
i think Orido uses HKS on his drift aristo. maybe do research on his setup
jay has stance on his ALL drift gs and he's removing them. he says they are to soft for him to drift with.....
Old 10-09-09, 06:46 PM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

I don't plan on a lot of track time, this is more for hard driving on the streets mostly. The Tein CS valving is so horrible in my opinion (harsh on small bumps, very poor damping, clunky, bottoms out easily, etc...) I'm almost wondering if there was a defect from the factory on my set now. Just my opinion, and I'm sure there are folks who love the pillow soft ride, I just get pissed when my dad's factory LS430 has more sporting, smoother, better handling shocks than my $1400 Tein coilovers. Apparently the BCR coilovers can be purchased with a 12k front/10k rear spring setup that I think might be a decent option for now.
Old 10-10-09, 11:55 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, we can get you setup with any spring rate you want on a BCR coilover setup
Old 10-10-09, 01:18 PM
GSJake
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 253LEXX
Apparently the BCR coilovers can be purchased with a 12k front/10k rear spring setup that I think might be a decent option for now.
The rates that are commonly sold for the GS are 10K fronts/8K rear correct? So are you are stepping it up one?
Old 10-11-09, 04:28 AM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

I believe the common rates are 9k front/8k rear for the CS setup, but Tein USA told me my setup was 9k front/6k rear. I don't know why they said my rear was only 6k, but I assumed it was different when I ordered it from what they sell now. Here is a piece of the email I recieved from Tein USA,

Right now your Comfort Sport kit uses 9kg front springs and 6kg rear springs. You can increase the spring rates +2kg over those rates with the current damper valving. If you would like to use anything stiffer than that, we normally recommend revalving the dampers to match. Unfortunately we do not offer an 11kg spring for the front. You can use either a 10kg or 12 kg spring, and the damper valving should be fine.

I definitely don't like the idea of a stiffer spring on the currently soft valving I have, I'd be afraid of a pogo stick effect where the shock couldn't control the spring. Think I'm going to try the BCR setup and see how it goes, either 12k front/10k rear, or maybe even 14k front/12k rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best high performance suspension for GS