Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Do I need a camber kit with Eibach springs and KYB or Tokico shocks/struts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 04:01 PM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a camber kit with Eibach springs and KYB or Tokico shocks/struts?

I own a 1995 Lexus SC300 and am finally getting around to some of the basic tuning aspects of the car. I purchased some nice Bradi crossed drilled and slotted rotors, an intake and custom fabbed an exhaust set-up. Next up is the suspension. I've kinda ruled out coilovers because of the harsch ride and have decided on a more traditonal approach. I'm going to purchase either KYB or Tokico shocks/struts and Eiback springs. Anyone that might have this set-up, I'm looking for all the advice I can get. Thanks in advance for everyone's help. Todd
Old 04-08-02, 05:45 PM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

I had my car lowered and didn't get a camber adjustment and a year later, my rear tire blew out while it was parked. i heard the tire blow and i laughed cuz i thot it was someone else's car, but sadly i found out it was mine.
Old 04-08-02, 06:52 PM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

I'm sorry to hear about your tire. So I take it you've gotten a camber kit since then without any further problems? If so what kit did you purchase and from where? I've looked at a bunch of different places, both online and in person with most accesories related to the SC300 going toward the SC400 or the Supra.
Old 04-09-02, 05:23 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm running the Tokico/Eibach, and I have no need for a camber kit. A properly installed suspension should not need a camber kit, unless you're droping the car more than an inch.

There are several C-kits on the market, but none designed for our cars as far as I know, but plenty of custom kits available. I've used Ground Control in the past and have been satisfied.

Hope this info helps.

Keith
Old 04-09-02, 10:05 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

you dont need to buy a camber kit. all you have to do is adjust your stock cambers. they'll be good enuf for a 1"drop.
Old 04-11-02, 05:35 AM
Italianfireman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot guys for your help. This will definitely make my decision making much easier. If anyone has any opinions on KYB or Tokico set-ups please let me know. This is great speaking with you other Lexus SC owners. Thanks again!
Old 04-12-02, 01:52 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

supposedly the kyb agx shocks for supra go really well as in ride wise, but if those shocks have a more comfortable ride than tokicos, then i mite be looking into switching them.
Old 03-29-08, 09:18 AM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if one was to buy a camber kit where could u find it?
Old 03-29-08, 09:29 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

you dont need a camber kit for a tokico/kyb shock combo.

i have tokico/eibach combo on my car right now. its a stiffer ride but pretty close to stock. only a bit firmer. i personally dont like them because its too soft for my taste but most lexus owners would agree that they love it.

my perfect option would be to corner-weigh the car, pick perfect spring rates, and get custom valving. stance can do that....that what im going with soon.
Old 04-08-08, 06:05 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Answer to my own question TMengineering.com thanks Autocouture SC, they'll be here in 5 more days
Old 04-12-08, 12:26 AM
93SC4
Driver School Candidate

How Do You Corner Way Weigh Your Car, Pick Perfect Spring Rates & Get Revalving Done. Can You Explain Please? Oh Yeah, Who Or What Is Stance? Thanks
Old 04-13-08, 03:44 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93SC4
How Do You Corner Way Weigh Your Car, Pick Perfect Spring Rates & Get Revalving Done. Can You Explain Please? Oh Yeah, Who Or What Is Stance? Thanks
you go to a person that has a scale setup. a scale is placed under every wheel to tell you exactly how much weight rides on each wheel of the car. it will not be perfect all around. the driver front most of the time will have more weight due to driver and other components. if you are running big single turbo it might be similar. the back of the car will vary a bit in weight too. after you corner weigh the car you pit a set of springs that will properly support that weight. after you choose the springs you look at the damper curves and figure out if the damping that currently in the shocks is properly valved for the springs. if not you get the shocks revalved so they critically dampen the springs. that way you will have a perfect setup for your suspension. honestly its not that easy but its the cliffnotes

this will work excellent on the track but it will most likely be way too stiff for the street. that why most coilover companies makes the springs softer and some dont even compensate with the damping. so you get a car that will be stiff and very bouncy too.

to do the calculations on your own you also have to take into account the unsprung weight of the car ie: the spindle, control arms, brakes, rotorrs, and such; basicaly anything that is bolted to the car but is moving with coilovers. the unsprung weight has a lot of mass and will cause delay in the response of the coilover thus if you dont take it into account you will have poor performance.