Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Question to Bilstein PSS owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-09, 09:47 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Question to Bilstein PSS owners

Who has them? and what ride height did you set it at? I've read through a few threads on here but kinda ambiguous as to what ride height people set them at.

-These aren't a full tap so I assume the lower I go, the less suspension travel I get, correct?

-What is the optimal ride height?

-If anyone has these all the way down, how does it ride compared to what Bilstein has set them at??

-Has anyone rebuilt these? If so, how long did they last and at what ride height?
Old 06-10-09, 08:51 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rock-a-Lex, DASHOCKER, pearlpower, lexforland, & DaveGS4 all either have them or have experience with them. The subjects been covered as far as quality but not lowering to my knowledge.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...stein-pss.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...pressions.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ork-roads.html

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 06-10-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 08:52 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
-Has anyone rebuilt these? If so, how long did they last and at what ride height?
They last forever...."Bilstein products are backed by an aftermarket lifetime warranty." (from www.TireRack.com)
Old 06-10-09, 10:54 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
Who has them? and what ride height did you set it at? I've read through a few threads on here but kinda ambiguous as to what ride height people set them at.

-These aren't a full tap so I assume the lower I go, the less suspension travel I get, correct?

-What is the optimal ride height?

-If anyone has these all the way down, how does it ride compared to what Bilstein has set them at??

I have them lowered completely and have about a 1/2" to 3/4" gap from tire to fender. I did NOT take out the "helper" springs and I did NOT go lower than was alotted by Bilstein. The ride is great where I have it set now. GL!

Oh, I too at one point was looking for a shorter, tighter spring to put in there as a replacement to go lower but Bilstein does not have such a replacement spring when I contacted their headquarters. If you want lower you need to either take out the helper spring or source another shorter, tighter spring from another manufacturer.
Old 06-10-09, 10:59 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Mine (now Veritek's) were lowered *almost* to the bottom with one thread remaining. The tech installing them recommended not going all the way below the threads for safety / stability.

I really liked the ride quality (think one of the links above is my writeup... I liked them even better over time).

These aren't the coilovers you want to get if you intend to slam your ride - get them for decent drop with excellent handling and quality product.
Old 06-10-09, 11:08 AM
kit cat

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Rock-a-Lex, DASHOCKER, pearlpower, lexforland, & DaveGS4 all either have them or have experience with them. The subjects been covered as far as quality but not lowering to my knowledge.
thanks for the link, but I researched the hell out of CL's log .

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
They last forever...."Bilstein products are backed by an aftermarket lifetime warranty." (from www.TireRack.com)
I know, which was why I asked if anyone has overhauled these yet and was wondering at what intervals I'm looking at.

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I have them lowered completely and have about a 1/2" to 3/4" gap from tire to fender. I did NOT take out the "helper" springs and I did NOT go lower than was alotted by Bilstein. The ride is great where I have it set now. GL!

Oh, I too at one point was looking for a shorter, tighter spring to put in there as a replacement to go lower but Bilstein does not have such a replacement spring when I contacted their headquarters. If you want lower you need to either take out the helper spring or source another shorter, tighter spring from another manufacturer.
I have it at the stock height now (what Bilstein set it at) to see how it is...and really high. I still have like 5cm to lower so I may do so. I feel like I'm driving a SUV now.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Mine (now Veritek's) were lowered *almost* to the bottom with one thread remaining. The tech installing them recommended not going all the way below the threads for safety / stability.

I really liked the ride quality (think one of the links above is my writeup... I liked them even better over time).

These aren't the coilovers you want to get if you intend to slam your ride - get them for decent drop with excellent handling and quality product.
Dave, your impression thread was what made me pull the trigger . I don't want to go insanely low like my HKS (the fenders were below the top the tire lol) and wanted optimal handling and performance. I'll probably drop it a bit more, maybe take you and Roc's advice and go all the way down leaving a thread or two.
Old 06-10-09, 12:48 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I still have the PSS on my GS and happy to report that there are no issues after 4 years of use considering the "made for dune buggies" NYC streets. My car can be slammed at present, now that I have RCA's front and rear. My front and rear are now tucked with 10 or more threads left to spare.. To my suprise, the car does not drive like a slammed car.. Rebound is terrific! So, if you want to go extremly low without suspension geometry issues, then you will have to opt for RCA's to go along with the Bilstein coils.. The ride with my PSS system is very composed and Euro tight prior to & including post RCA install. You can't beat the life time warranty on this set up. No leaking fluid or rebulids to date from any member with this set up..
Old 06-10-09, 12:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I still have the PSS on my GS and happy to report that there are no issues after 4 years of use considering the "made for dune buggies" NYC streets. My car can be slammed at present now that I have RCA's front and rear. My front and rear are now tucked with 10 or more threads left to spare.. To my suprise, the car does not drive like a slammed car.. Rebound is terrific! So, if you want to go extremly low without suspension geometry issues, then you will have to opt for RCA's to go along with the Bilstein coils.. The ride with my PSS system is very composed and Euro tight prior to & including post RCA install. You can't beat the life time warranty on this set up. No leaking fluid or rebulids to date from any member with this set up..

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get these. Can they be adjusted to maintain stock height? Do they have adjustable level of firmness?
Old 06-10-09, 12:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Sounds like I'm gonna have to get these. Can they be adjusted to maintain stock height? Do they have adjustable level of firmness?
They can be adjusted to stock height, hell even higher for off roading These coils are self dampening and adapts to road conditions.. There is no manual dampening adjustment for the PSS ala Teins.
Old 06-10-09, 01:49 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

They can be adjusted to stock height, hell even higher for off roading These coils are self dampening and adapts to road conditions.. There is no manual dampening adjustment for the PSS ala Teins.
I see. I wanted to get Teins but I heard they do not last. I want something that really really lasts.
Old 06-10-09, 02:17 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
I see. I wanted to get Teins but I heard they do not last. I want something that really really lasts.
you cant beat a lifetime warranty + bilstein has been around for eons with a great reputation

if you have absolutely no intentions to 'slam' your car, bilstein pss>tein when taking into consideration price and quality
Old 06-10-09, 09:41 PM
kit cat

I still have the PSS on my GS and happy to report that there are no issues after 4 years of use considering the "made for dune buggies" NYC streets. My car can be slammed at present, now that I have RCA's front and rear. My front and rear are now tucked with 10 or more threads left to spare.. To my suprise, the car does not drive like a slammed car.. Rebound is terrific! So, if you want to go extremly low without suspension geometry issues, then you will have to opt for RCA's to go along with the Bilstein coils.. The ride with my PSS system is very composed and Euro tight prior to & including post RCA install. You can't beat the life time warranty on this set up. No leaking fluid or rebulids to date from any member with this set up..
Thanks for the PM btw. Your PMs were one of the decision as to why I got Bilsteins I mean, if it can survive NYC roads, I'm hoping it can cope with Chicago roads. I have front RCA and is pretty low now but feels great. I had HKS Hipermax and these are no cheap coilovers. I haven't had an alignment yet but like you said, the rebound is terrific!!! So far, I think the combination of the spring rate and shocks are perfect for daily driving.

Originally Posted by Och

they come set so that with stock wheels they sit at stock height...at least thats what I think the instruction said but it was in German and broken down Engrish and Japanese.

Originally Posted by Och
If you're looking at entry model TEINS, I would much rather recommend Bilstein.