Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein PSS - Detailed Impressions

Old 05-20-03, 10:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,289 Posts
Default Bilstein PSS - Detailed Impressions

About three weeks ago I had the Bilstein PSS coilovers installed and promised a detailed writeup of my impressions. Here it is!

History
First, some background on why I decided to move to coilovers... In 2000 I did a rash of modifications to my GS all at once (actually Mo at SRT did them). I had the SRT intake/ecu, the Dragon TC, and Borla exhaust all put on at the same time. Oh, and I also had Eibach springs and Bilsten shocks put on. Not bad for a weekends work, huh? These were my first significant modifications and I was on pins-and-needles for about a month just waiting for something to break. L-tuned had not been launched then, or I might hae done their exhaust and suspension just for the dealer support. However, I have never regretted putting on any of the parts including the Eibach / Bilstein suspension combo. IMO Bilstein shocks are some of the best quality out there and also carry a lifetime warranty. The drop was nice, the ride was about 50% stiffer and handling was greatly improved.

Fast forward a couple of years. I've continued the modification insanity and added pretty much every suspension bolt-on readily available to me: L-Tuned Steering ECU, TRD Front Strut Tower brace, TRD Front and Rear Sway Bars, TRD Lower Chassis Brace, Tom's Rear Lower Chassis Brace, Tom's 6-piece Suspension Brace Kit, Tom's Rear Strut Tower Bar upgraded wheels (twice) and tires (several times). The ride on my GS with all this 'stuff' has gotten progressively stiffer and more responsive. Still very driveable, but definitely not typical Lexus luxury ride quality.

With all this money spent on my GS, I'm more reluctant to drive it where it might get damaged or in bad weather. I decided to get a 'beater' car and ended up with a 98 LS400 with Nav. Not exactly a beater, but it can now serve as my daily driver. AND it frees me up to put an even stiffer suspension on the GS... I eventually want to take the car on road courses and do some driving schools. So I started looking at coilovers.

Decision Making Process
I wanted to stick to something that I wouldn't be the 'first' to do so I could learn from other's experiences and avoid making a costly mistake. I primarily investigated the Tein Flex, Tein HA and Bilstein PSS for that reason. I did look at other models, but didn't find many people that had them or they weren't readily available in the US. I referred to this great post (click here) to figure out how stiff the various coilovers were. I didn't want something too soft, nor too hard - kind of like the Goldilocks of coilovers.

Bilstein PSSs don't go as low Tein's - the PSS only drop the car about 1.8". The drop, which is important to many members here, didn't concern me as long as I had the same drop as my current suspension or slightly lower.

Based on my past good experiences with Bilstein, what seemed to be the right stiffness and the lifetime warranty I decided to go with them. I ordered them online from www.shox.com for $850. I like the idea of the EFDC controller of the TEIN, but thought that's just one other thing to break. I'd also have to give up my TRD STB which I was reluctant to do.

Impressions
OK, enough background and on to my impressions of these coilovers. Take these comments with a grain of salt, because I've only ridden in one GS with coilovers, and that car had Bilstein PSS on it (JohnP66's). I don't have a lot of comparisons other than my former setup, so I'll describe that.

* Firmness: When I first got in the car and drove it, I considered getting out and looking to make sure they had actually done the install. It felt very much like my old setup around town. Firm, but not too firm. After driving now for a couple of weeks, they are definitely stiffer than the old setup. Not beat you up firm, but noticable.
* Improved Road Feel: I have a LOT more road feel through the wheel than I used to. It isn't to the point of being annoying, but I can feel the surface and imperfections better
* Flatter Response: With the old setup if I pushed hard I'd still get a bit of body roll. With the PSS that roll is almost gone. You have to make a very hard manuever to get any roll
* Overall Handling: Definite improvement. When I push HARD around a tight turn I used to feel the suspension 'give' a little. Now I can go much further... The couple of I've taken a really aggressive turn it actually feels & sounds like the tires are at their limits instead of the suspension. My GF says her NSX does this too.
* Drop: I've got it set just a little lower than the previous suspension. I've attached some before & after pictures below for reference. I'm about 85% down and could go a little lower if I wanted. It's a bit hard to see the drop on the 'after' picture since lighting was on the wrong side of the car this afternoon when I took it and the shadows on the tires are different. Trust me, it's just a wee bit lower than before.

Conclusion
Now that I've got them on, would I recommend them? Yes. Absolutely without hesitation. They're a very quality piece of equipment with an unbeatable reputation and a warranty to back it up. They ride very smooth and make a definite improvement in handling even on a GS as heavily suspension-modified as mine.

Would I get them again? Probably not, but only because I would get something stiffer. The Bilstein PSSs are perfectly driveable for every day use and have definitely improved on the old combo. But I've got my LS400 for daily driving now; I guess I was secretly hoping for something so hard that would loosen up some fillings in my teeth. I may change my mind on this the more I drive my GS. I like the ride it has still and I don't think I've found the new limits of the suspension yet. Maybe this is the best of both worlds and I don't realize it yet.

OK, enough writing... I need to go out for a drive!

BEFORE with Eibach / Bilstein (and better lighting )

AFTER with Bilstein PSS about 85% of the way down)

Last edited by DaveGS4; 06-08-06 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 11:42 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dave,

great write-ups, thanks
Old 05-21-03, 06:07 AM
tomtnc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info, Dave! I can't wait to take a ride in it.
Old 05-21-03, 08:25 AM
JacobT

Dave,

Good write up. I was waiting for your review before I make up my mind. I was looking for something stiffer but looks like the PSS is not a very good candidate for me.

Thanks for the review.
Old 05-21-03, 09:36 AM
shftup
Intermediate

Default DAVEGS4

What was the install process like, any problems, and notes for those that might be interested in doing a similar setup.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-21-03, 09:47 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Default Re: DAVEGS4

Originally posted by shftup
What was the install process like, any problems, and notes for those that might be interested in doing a similar setup.
Thanks in advance.
I had a recommended suspension shop do the install, set the height, etc. It was a full day job for them to assemble the components, remove the old stuff (including taking off my STBs) getting the new ones on, setting the height, re-aligning the car etc. Cost was about $450, which is higher than some of the 'hook ups' that the west coast guys have. Oh well...

They didn't encounter any unexpected issues during the install. The shop DID initially set my height too high and I had to get them to drop it down again. The shop tech asked me a number of very detailed questions about my plans for driving the car when setting the alignment - a good sign.
Old 05-21-03, 01:48 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, beautiful write up.
I find myself in the exact same boat as you. I have every suspension part as you do with the exception of having Tein flex as my coilovers.

I cannot agree with you more about needing a beater. The downside to modding and lowering the car is that it becomes impractical for everyday driving around town especially here in the NYC-NJ area. I have relatives who live in Cary, NC and at least you have nice concrete highways which is not the case where I live.

I went straight from stock shocks to coilsovers and the change was huge. Overnight the car becomes a beast in the handling department. I had most of my parts installed at different times so I have driven the car at various stages.

I have set the coils on the flex to the hardest setting and trust me you do not want to drive around town with this. This will definitely knock the filling out of your teeth. I do not know anyone running this kind of stiffness.

Anyway, very nice write up and good review.....2 big thumbs up thumbup: thumbup:
Old 05-21-03, 08:43 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

thanks for the review. i really love reading these long reviews due to the insight. good product and it really adds to the knowledge base. hopefully, i'll join you with PSS one day as well
Old 05-25-03, 06:48 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

Excellent write up Dave!!

This is the reason why CL is so invaluable - members like you putting so much time into sharing your experience with others.

Maybe one day I will do this coilover thing. Who knows. Right now, I am happy with my L-tuned setup. I am also thinking of getting an LS400 as a beater (an old one, not a newer one like yours Dave).

If anyone has any doubts about becoming a paid member, this write up alone is worth $120.00 to anyone considering installing coil-overs.
Old 05-26-03, 09:59 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey dave, looks awesome, i have one qustion , since u worried me a bit when i read u'r write up, i 'm about to put my wheels on this coming weekend and i got the Teins CS coilovers set up, u said u didn't want 2 part with u'r TRD stb, i have the RMM stb, will i have issues of putting my RMM stb back on when my coilovers r in...??????? ....i hope not.

thanx
Adrian

Last edited by bluelex; 05-26-03 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-26-03, 10:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by bluelex
hey dave, looks awesome, i have one qustion , since u worried me a bit when i read u'r write up, i 'm about to put my wheels on this coming weekend and i got the Teins CS coilovers set up, u said u didn't want 2 part with u'r TRD stb, i have the RMM stb, will i have issues of putting my RMM stb back on when my coilovers r in...??????? ....i hope not.

thanx
Adrian
Adrian,

I've read there were problems fitting a TRD STB over top of Tein Flex and also (I think) Tein HA. I'm not sure how the mount on the CS looks. HOWEVER, I think I also recall that the RMM STB fits over most of these because of the way the big ring of it's design goes around the strut tower (not over it). I'll look for Rominl or TTurbopimp or some of the other Tein experts to chip in to confirm, but I think you'll be fine.

I really like the TRD STB both for looks and performance. I've also painted my SRT intake to match the color of the TRD STB, so I was doubly determined not to get rid of it!

Old 05-26-03, 10:43 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

thanx dave, i will contact them, i think sypher has tein coilovers and rmm strut,. by the way i understand why u did what u did, i wouldn't want to change u'r set up eigther,,... good choice... thanx ...Adrian
Old 05-26-03, 11:00 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by bluelex
thanx dave, i will contact them, i think sypher has tein coilovers and rmm strut,. by the way i understand why u did what u did, i wouldn't want to change u'r set up eigther,,... good choice... thanx ...Adrian
Adrian,
You will be fine..I have seen gs's with the tein flex and ha's with the rmm stb and no problems at all.
Old 05-26-03, 11:30 AM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by FutureGSorIS
Adrian,
You will be fine..I have seen gs's with the tein flex and ha's with the rmm stb and no problems at all.
thanx future
Old 05-29-03, 09:41 PM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

gf, nsx, pimp'in!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS - Detailed Impressions