Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC racing, Tein CS, Megan, or Tanabe coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 12:12 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BC racing, Tein CS, Megan, or Tanabe coilovers???

I’ve been looking for coilovers for my IS350 for a while and cant come up with a decision… Ideally I want HKS or JIC, but they are in a different price range than these options.

What makes my decision hard is the fact that there are good reviews on all these.
My Priorities are: something durable and long-lasting, comfortable but yet sporty, easily adjustable.

Options:
BC racing, Megan, Tanabe, Tein CS

Everybody loves megan because the value you get. But are they better than the other ones I have on the list?…. I have had tanabe products before and they are great quality…. Tein has always been a good choice I guess… and BC racing is new to me but one of CL vendors told me these are great and I should consider them..

Which ones suit me better? Why?
Old 05-26-09, 07:41 AM
rac2max
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to me, suspension is one of the most important mod...I would save $$$ some more and get HKS just my 2c
Old 05-26-09, 09:03 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

^agreed, but the HKS hipermax III clx kit costs over $2,000 retail (street price may vary). at that price, you're into "race-ready coilovers" territory.

from what i've read, the megan LP's are at a good price/performance point. a lot of owners are happy with them, so i can understand why they're a popular choice.
Old 05-26-09, 09:38 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I havent discarded the HKS yet, If i was a track guy id definitely save up. i dont think id put them to use. Right now any of the options i have I think would be an upgrade from what i have (eibachs on stock shocks)
Old 05-26-09, 01:42 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
My Priorities are: something durable and long-lasting, comfortable but yet sporty, easily adjustable.
Options:
BC racing, Megan, Tanabe, Tein CS
Which ones suit me better? Why?
i've had my tanabes for over a year now and done quite a few canyon runs. i am very please with the way they handle. also having the ability to adjust the rebound on the fly while driving is a big plus
Old 05-26-09, 01:52 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Megan's and enjoy them. HKS, Tanabe, & Tein only lower the car @ 1.75" despite what the adv. says. Also Tanabe & Tein CS are twin tube good for street use only.
So with the Megan's you get a "race ready" street set-up that has a monotube cylinder that is in a great price range.
"BUT" If D2 coilovers were on the market when I was buying then I would have chosen D2's. Hands down!

IMO your only two should be: D2's or Megan's
If your going for a coilover that just performs and has great adjustablity then these are your options. I can't see spending big $$$ on coilovers that have no adjustment.

BTW, I have no history with the BC racing. They look nice.??
Old 05-26-09, 02:20 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replied to your PM juice, sorry it took so long.

If anyone has any questions on coilovers just shoot us a PM.
Old 05-26-09, 02:25 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

HKS350 are you saying that if i want to take my car on the roval or auto-cross my car won't handle as well?
Old 05-26-09, 05:29 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HKS350
So with the Megan's you get a "race ready" street set-up that has a monotube cylinder that is in a great price range.
"BUT" If D2 coilovers were on the market when I was buying then I would have chosen D2's. Hands down!

BTW, I have no history with the BC racing. They look nice.??
Why is monotube so much better? does this mean they are more durable?

Ive been looking all day on my350Z and G35 driver, other 240 forums and even evo and STI. and havent found one bad thins said about BC racing. In fact people are more than neutral, they are happy about them and compare them to oter well known brands like tein. this makes my decision harder.
Old 05-26-09, 05:34 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
I replied to your PM juice, sorry it took so long.

If anyone has any questions on coilovers just shoot us a PM.
thanks for the quick replies.
Old 05-26-09, 05:46 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

My next option was to do Megans! PM Hartawan and he will hook you up with some.
Old 05-26-09, 06:16 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidesam
HKS350 are you saying that if i want to take my car on the roval or auto-cross my car won't handle as well?
LOL, You and I sir would have a hard time telling the diff. between the 2

Here is HKS's web site for the link to info on MONOTUBE vs TWINTUBE http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=2838

Last edited by HKS350; 05-26-09 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 08:06 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^HKS has really good info on the monotube vs. twintube designs.

If you guys are considering Megan racing coilovers you should really consider the BC Racing coilovers.

Compared to Megans, BCR coilovers have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, locking lower rings (so the height adjustment rings don't work loose), and a better damping curve. They end up being a lot more compliant over rough surfaces. And they tend to last longer.

Overall the BCR coilovers are just a nicer piece, for just a bit more money.

Bigger internals means more surface area for the shim stacks and valves, which leads to a smoother ride and better tuning of damping. The larger shock bodies means more room for the internals and a stiffer cartirdge, which means it will hold up to much more abuse. The BCR coilovers also come with a coarser thread, so you can adjust ride height easier and quickly.

D2 from what I have seen, does not have consistent damping from damper to damper and the build quality is not on par with the rest of the companies.

Feel free to PM us with any inquiries. I have personally run BCR's on 3 of my vehicles and the CMS STi runs a BCR ER series.

HKS makes a really nice coilover, they do cost a good bit more though.

Also FYI - Pillowball bearings will provide a more direct and solid feeling in your suspension but they will also make the ride a bit more harsh and transfer more noise and vibration. A lot of Lexus owners like erring on the side of comfort. So BCR provides the option of pillowball OR rubber mounts.
Old 05-26-09, 09:51 PM
Driverseat
Rookie

what about the tein SS...
Old 05-26-09, 10:30 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
^HKS has really good info on the monotube vs. twintube designs.

If you guys are considering Megan racing coilovers you should really consider the BC Racing coilovers.

Compared to Megans, BCR coilovers have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, locking lower rings (so the height adjustment rings don't work loose), and a better damping curve. They end up being a lot more compliant over rough surfaces. And they tend to last longer.

Overall the BCR coilovers are just a nicer piece, for just a bit more money.

Bigger internals means more surface area for the shim stacks and valves, which leads to a smoother ride and better tuning of damping. The larger shock bodies means more room for the internals and a stiffer cartirdge, which means it will hold up to much more abuse. The BCR coilovers also come with a coarser thread, so you can adjust ride height easier and quickly.

D2 from what I have seen, does not have consistent damping from damper to damper and the build quality is not on par with the rest of the companies.

Feel free to PM us with any inquiries. I have personally run BCR's on 3 of my vehicles and the CMS STi runs a BCR ER series.

HKS makes a really nice coilover, they do cost a good bit more though.

Also FYI - Pillowball bearings will provide a more direct and solid feeling in your suspension but they will also make the ride a bit more harsh and transfer more noise and vibration. A lot of Lexus owners like erring on the side of comfort. So BCR provides the option of pillowball OR rubber mounts.
how do they (BC R) compare to the teins as far as the size of the internals, shock bodies, lower rings, adjustability?

I looked on the BC racing webcite and they only list these for the IS250.

Last edited by juice14; 05-26-09 at 11:19 PM.

Quick Reply: BC racing, Tein CS, Megan, or Tanabe coilovers???