Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

HELP! megan coilovers installed and making sounds?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-09, 02:19 AM
mikesblkgs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! megan coilovers installed and making sounds?!?

i need help guys.. i just bought a set of megan LP coilovers and i just had time to put on the front two... after installing the front two coilovers, i started up my car and it was fine until i put it into DRIVE..without the car even moving and the gear is on drive, the car just SHAKES... and then when i drive the car it sounds louder likes theres a rattling sound coming from the driverside fender...there is still a 2 finger gap because i want to figure out what the problem is first before i lower it more. ..what can be the problem... do i need to take anything out from my old suspension to put onto the megans?? any help is greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-21-09, 02:48 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know anything about the megans coilovers, so I wont comment on them specifically. Are the coilovers brand new?

Where did you jack up the vehicle from? Did you tighten everything back to spec torque? Did you loosen and re-tighten the sway bars bolts? Also, sometimes the rotor shield gets bent during install...check that its not rubbing against the rotors.
Old 03-21-09, 05:56 PM
mikesblkgs
Rookie

yeah i bought them new, i tightly everything according.. but while i was installing my coilovers... i read a DIY thread on this site and it told me to jack up my car from the cross members near the center on my car... but while i was doing it, the bear kinda bended up a little bit so i quickly lowered my car back down and just jacked it up from the side of the car... i looked at the cross member and it was just a slight bent and is not blocking anything... here the DIY thread i was following... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...he-car-up.html

i hope its nothing badd.....
Old 11-17-12, 04:01 AM
AndrewThai
Driver School Candidate

I think I have the same problem as well, just installed my megan LP's and got a vibration/shaking rubbing sound? coming from my front passenger side (your driver side). I also jacked up the car from the cross member. I'm going to raise the car up tomorrow as I think that might be the problem.
Old 11-17-12, 04:15 AM
AndrewThai
Driver School Candidate

Think I've figured out the problem, it looks like the rotor shields are bent and scraping against the rim and rotor.
Old 11-20-12, 09:46 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewThai
Think I've figured out the problem, it looks like the rotor shields are bent and scraping against the rim and rotor.
How could that be if your shaking was present without the car even moving? Did you solve it?
Old 11-20-12, 05:52 PM
AndrewThai
Driver School Candidate

Sorry it seems I didn't read the part where you said before it moves, mine didn't make any noises after installing my LP's but when I put it into drive and started rolling it made a vibrating/whirring kind of noise. It was just my brake rotor shield scraping my rotor and rim. I just bent mine back and the noises went away.
Old 11-27-12, 03:54 PM
seivonecsu
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikesblkgs
i need help guys.. i just bought a set of megan LP coilovers and i just had time to put on the front two... after installing the front two coilovers, i started up my car and it was fine until i put it into DRIVE..without the car even moving and the gear is on drive, the car just SHAKES... and then when i drive the car it sounds louder likes theres a rattling sound coming from the driverside fender...there is still a 2 finger gap because i want to figure out what the problem is first before i lower it more. ..what can be the problem... do i need to take anything out from my old suspension to put onto the megans?? any help is greatly appreciated!!
when i installed my megan lps's i had a banginging noise coming from the rear so i thought i def did something wrong... when i jacked up the car i saw that there was play between the spring and the perches.... it wound up that the bolt under the dampener was not tight... tightened it up and everything was good after that.... hope it helps....
Old 11-28-12, 09:21 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by seivonecsu
when i installed my megan lps's i had a banginging noise coming from the rear so i thought i def did something wrong... when i jacked up the car i saw that there was play between the spring and the perches.... it wound up that the bolt under the dampener was not tight... tightened it up and everything was good after that.... hope it helps....
What you are describing is Preload. Preload should not have any affect on noise once the suspension is loaded. Which "bolt under the damper" are you referring to exactly? Are you talking about the one at the very bottom of coilover shock body?

If the locking rings are tight, and that bottom bolt is tight, then the top 17mm bolt should be checked. If it's neither of those, then it's likely related to the pillow-ball bearings.

See the link below for more information on the dreaded coilover noises:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...pop-clunk.html

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 11-29-12 at 11:52 AM.