Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Noise & Slack Steering after L.B.J replaced

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-09, 03:05 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise & Slack Steering after L.B.J replaced

hey dudes,

i got the lower ball joints replaced on my 98 2GS a month or so ago. I immediately noticed the car felt firmer in the front especially over dips and bumps etc.

However, i also noticed a large increase in road noise and some vibration. i have 19s with 235/35 Nexen N3000s up front along with insurance group coilovers. Nothing else was changed.

The noise sounds like a front wheel bearing, and seems to come more from the front left side. It is very loud and annoying at around 20-25km/h. as i say its like a 'wooowoowwooo' sound like a bearing, but also a light vibration can be felt. it is very evident to passengers on the lhs (mine is rhd as im in australia).

i have jacked the car up and checked for play, and felt the spring for vibration when turning the wheel by hand with nothing unusual. the brakes are a bit low and do scrape when i turn the wheel, more on the left than the right, but not sure if this would do it?

the other thing ive noticed is that the noise is loud under braking, and the wheel seems to go "slack" under medium to heavy braking. it feels loose on the left side as i'm breaking, and can even turn the wheel a good 1/4 turn under brakes and the car just stays going straight as the wheel just feels 'dead'.

i've got it booked in earliest i can at my alignment place next Monday but thougt someone might be able to shed some light. i think the new lower ball joints have just highlighted an existing issue, so i just want to fix that now. Was thinking also even maybe Tie Rod Ends or something? as i didnt do those at the same time.

any input would be appreciated as its real damn annoying as i drive in traffic at these speeds every day!

---Ant
Old 03-18-09, 07:30 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Check your brakes and rotors. Maybe it's time to change them.
Old 03-20-09, 06:29 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have a second set of wheels? after switching out my nexens for continentals contiextremes my vibrations went away and road noise decreased.
Old 03-22-09, 10:11 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Mike- i was afraid of that lol they were ok when new but now have some wear.

well i just had it checked out and a new alignment done on the front. suspension place reported nothing appeared loose or worn that would cause the problem. he just said it is a combination of the coilover shocks (insurance grp) since i have them quite stiff, and also the tyres.

as i say, brakes are apparently ~40% Front 60% Rear from my last service. had rotors skimmed when i got the car July 08 but not since hten. So i might do pads & rotors next time round and see how i go..!

i did have quite a lot of NVH on the stockers too once i stiffened up the suspension, but it went away initially on the 19s but is now back. oh well!