Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower ball joint UPGRADE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-09, 04:39 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower ball joint UPGRADE?

hey guys i recently replaced my BJ's and was wondering if there is any aftermarket upgrade. The reason i ask is because my car is lowered on tein SS which are pretty stiff, daizen bushings and 20's, i like to really push it around corners at high speeds and on straightways but after seeing all those broken BJ's im not all that confident in the new OEM ones. Any beefy upgraded ones out there?

P.S once in a while ill still get a clinck or two when reversing or manuvering to park at slow slow speeds
Old 01-13-09, 04:44 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There are aftermarket versions, but they're more less the same design as the OEM. Nothing is really beefed up for now. I've noticed a lot of broken balljoints are from the 98-00 GS. Holding the 98-00 and 01-05 joints next to each other, they look slightly different. New balljoints will last. If you really want to have a peace of mind, replace them every 50k/4 years.

The clunking you get is very likely a sign of your balljoints failing. Replace it ASAP.
Old 01-13-09, 04:53 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

thats what im sayin i just replaced them ,but i still once in a while get a clunk? i got the OEM ones from lexus. but i just want more piece of mind my wheels arent going to go flying off at 100+ lol (not really Funny).
Old 01-13-09, 04:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The clunking noise as you put your lever into Reverse is associated with the brake fitting kit. The brake pads are sliding around in the caliper as you put the gear in reverse/forward. Put your tranny in Neutral at a standstill and then without touching the brakes, put the lever into reverse. If you dont get any clunking noise, then look into the brake fitting kit.
Old 01-13-09, 04:58 PM
Emontes7
Driver

YES REPLACE THEM.. even if you dont think there bad replace them..my lower ball joints broke last night on my way home crusing at around 10 mils per hour. A 100 doller job came to be a $500 with tow truck and parking at a near by a garage. And now i have to chage my wheel and ABS senors also. But im just glad it didnt happen on the highway.
Old 01-13-09, 06:12 PM
LeXaNoMicS
Lead Lap

i just did replace them like a month ago i rarely get any clunking at all i just wondering why there aren't any better options than something that is known to break and is under more stress after lowering the vehicle. I mean after all the money we spend on upgrades for better handling we still have to worry about breaking something and wrecking at high speeds, or any speed lol.
Old 01-14-09, 01:20 AM
StayBroke
Driver

Just picked up the car and i learned that the lower ball joints were notorious in going out for our cars. I didnt believe my friend until one day i heard a really bad metal on metal clunking noise at low speeds. It freaked me out so bad that i took it to a shop and they said that it was ready to give so i just got them replaced with oem ones. next would be the lower arm bushings cuz those looked really bad from what i saw