Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

What about Cutting Springs

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 10:41 PM
Inzane089
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about Cutting Springs

what do you guys think about cutting springs?

im only talking about 1 inch. 1.5 max.

what are some of the affects also?
Old 12-02-08, 10:54 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No.

You'll thank me later.

No cut spring, no matter how precise will ever be "even."

Expect uneven tire wear and having a different corner weight at each tire that isn't anywhere near being safe or having any performance affect, as the very least of your problems.

Springs are only about 200 bucks. Save for them, you'll be glad you did.
Old 12-02-08, 11:01 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i wouldnt go as far as increased tire wear and decreased performance. the reason to increased tire wear is your car sits lower, the tire is tucked a bit more, and provides more camber which causes more wear. corner weight is going to be different no matter what. stock or not. it takes a lot of time and creativity to set up a car and have a very even corner weight and good cross weight.

when i did my first set of lowering springs i didnt so anything about the alignment and my tire wear or handling did not decrease.

the only downfall to cut springs is chitty ride quality if you do it enough. removing an inch wont effect it much but at the same time it will not make your car look that much cooler anyways.

what do you plan to do with your car? any performance driving? do you want it slammed eventually or just a slight lowered stance?
Old 12-02-08, 11:05 PM
Inzane089
Driver

well i was gonna order rims this weekend, and i really just wanted to lower the stance.. nothing crazy at this point.. just take off an inch all around.
MAYBE.. depends on how the rims look and what not.. that 1 inch. thing is the most ill do
Old 12-02-08, 11:06 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i wouldnt go as far as increased tire wear and decreased performance. the reason to increased tire wear is your car sits lower, the tire is tucked a bit more, and provides more camber which causes more wear.

what do you plan to do with your car? any performance driving? do you want it slammed eventually or just a slight lowered stance?
I agree, but I've seen so many cars that have ****ty tire wear, (not the camber kind) and they have cut springs. Maybe the springs are cut to an extreme? So I just put the extreme's because I've seen them. I didn't say decrease in performance, just no performance affect.

I just say no to cut springs.

I can understand you wanting just an inch, even if it won't result it too much negativity, but I would still do springs.

Old 12-03-08, 12:40 PM
re-rx7
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be more worried about how much the spring rate would change. It would be like driving with a half blown and full blown shocks.?
Old 12-03-08, 01:41 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont doit just get a drop insted of rims first, trust me you'll be much happier later on. I cut my springs and all I got was a crap ride blown shocks and eaten up new front tires
Old 12-03-08, 09:33 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets not and say we still didn't.
Old 12-03-08, 10:19 PM
rpx13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u know what?...i was watching an episode of Overhaulin' and Chip Foose had his team cut, yes cut, a full coil on a blue Boss 302 Mustang...although I would still not recommend it...
Old 12-04-08, 06:50 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Feel free to do it.

BTW, membership applications are now being accepted over at IDRIVEACIVICANDKNOWNOTHINGABOUTCARS.com
Old 12-04-08, 12:52 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
feel free to do it.

Btw, membership applications are now being accepted over at idriveacivicandknownothingaboutcars.com
lmao........
Old 12-04-08, 05:15 PM
kevro
Pole Position

I have cut many springs, never and i mean NEVER had one problem. I didnt autocross any of these cars and I am sure that I would have encountered issues at that point. My last car was a 2002 volvo s60 turbo, lowered it on koni adjustable and b&G springs, the ride was horribly stiff and bouncy at anything other than full stiff on the koni's. couldnt stand it. pulled it all out and cut the stockers and put them on with the koni's adjusted to 50 percent lock it rode PERFECTLY. Make sure when you ask questions about cutting springs you are clear on wanting the opinions of people who have actually done it before. there are tons of reasons this wont work, I have nothing but good experiences with it on 5 different cars. DONT CUT MORE THAN 1.5 COILS. START WITH ONE!!!!! GL
YOU MUST PUT NEW SHOCKS AND STRUTS ON EITHER WAY.

Last edited by kevro; 12-04-08 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-04-08, 05:54 PM
re-rx7
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpx13
u know what?...i was watching an episode of Overhaulin' and Chip Foose had his team cut, yes cut, a full coil on a blue Boss 302 Mustang...although I would still not recommend it...
i saw that episode.....i wonder how many coils to take off for a inch and half...
Old 12-05-08, 10:28 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

I'd only cut my springs if I had coilovers on the way...it ends up blowing the struts, making the car ride like ****, and if you don't cut them right, the spring can end up falling off the perch because you end up removing the flat area where the spring seats, and that could end in bad results...
Old 12-06-08, 09:36 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Don't do it! You're driving a Lexus not a Honduh. Mod it the right way

Quick Reply: What about Cutting Springs