Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Polyurethane bushings = Squeaky

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-08, 12:55 PM
gs4play
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polyurethane bushings = Squeaky

I just had my front end looked at I have 130,00 plus miles on my 99 GS400. Everything looks great on the front end except for the upper control arms. My friend who has been a mechanic for 25 years and has built many project cars himself frowned upon the idea of replacing the rubber bushings with poly. I told him I wanted to upgrade to the upper and lower control arms as well as the steering rack with the poly bushings. He told me I shouldn't that it is a know fact that they are squeaky. I have read plenty of post saying the daizen bushings are a great upgrade, just never hear anything about them squeaking. Also if you guys know where I can get a good deal on some upper control arms please let me know, I have already looked at Sewell, thanks.
Old 08-05-08, 03:50 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They squeak after awhile but it is said if you lube them up with spray lube it goes away. Haven't tried that personally so I can't comment but when it's cold out they squeak sometimes. It did make the front end of the car feel more responsive though.
Old 08-05-08, 11:40 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

YES they squeak! Mine are currently being pressed out and I'm having grooves dremeled into them to hold the grease better. I've tried everything else and they still squeak and I'm in So. Cal. where it's generally warm.

I'll post up after I get the car back and let you know how it went and if it works. And yes performance is much improved.
Old 08-06-08, 08:11 AM
gs4play
Driver

I really would like the increase in performance however I do not think I can justify the squeaking sounds. Thanks guys for the info you have helped me make my decision.
Old 08-06-08, 08:56 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs4play
I really would like the increase in performance however I do not think I can justify the squeaking sounds. Thanks guys for the info you have helped me make my decision.

If you don't want the hassle of having to regrease them - then going oem on the upper and lower control arms is your best bet solution.

However, I would recommend for you to do the Daizen Steering Rack Bushing. this is a great upgrade and does not squeak. I would recommend that you put grease on the bushing before you install it though. I got some funny noises when I did mine initially w/o grease and then read another post where someone had the same issue. He took it out, greased it up and noises went away. So I did the same and had the same experience - no funny noises after the grease. Plus, it really helps with the steering response and is easy to get to. Unlike the control arm bushings.
Old 08-07-08, 10:14 PM
93twintrbo
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've found that if you use grease that comes with the poly bushing kit you will not get squeaking. Another idea is that when the bushings are out, drill a small hole in the center where you can acess it when it is installed. You can add a zirk (sp) fitting. Then if you get a queak you can simply just use a grease gun with the appropriate lubricant to get rid of the noise. The problem with adding "grooves" is that over time all lubricant will dry up and in order to get it lubricated again you wil have to dissasemble the said bushing to lubricate.

Lawrence
Old 08-08-08, 07:45 AM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 93twintrbo
I've found that if you use grease that comes with the poly bushing kit you will not get squeaking. Another idea is that when the bushings are out, drill a small hole in the center where you can acess it when it is installed. You can add a zirk (sp) fitting. Then if you get a queak you can simply just use a grease gun with the appropriate lubricant to get rid of the noise. The problem with adding "grooves" is that over time all lubricant will dry up and in order to get it lubricated again you wil have to dissasemble the said bushing to lubricate.

Lawrence

Lawrence - can you add a zerk fitting to the upper and lower control arm bushing? I was under the impression that this was not possible. Anyone else know about adding a zerk to these areas? I know you can do it on the sway bars.

FYI - when I had the Daizen bushings installed I used the grease that came with them and I got squeaking within 6 months.

Scott