Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Adjustable Rear Camber For Gs98-05

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-09, 05:22 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MJImport
I just installed the rear camber block kit. It went rather smooth but had a few minor roadblocks. I will try to do a full write up with pics I took along the way.
The toe must be wayyy out of whack cuz as soon as I started driving down my smooth paved driveway, it was all over the place!! I had no idea it would be that bad.
You're exactly right; the toe will be out after installing the rear blocks.

This is why the instructions "Specifically" point out that the alignment must be done right after install.

I also pointed this out at the beginning of this thread (Post #4)

I highly recommend you do not drive any long distance or at high speed until it's aligned.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-20-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 06:49 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't planning on going very far, I just wanted to see how it felt. I just didn't think it would have been worse than when I initially installed my coilovers.
Looks like I'll be borrowing a car til I can get it to the Lexus shop.
Old 02-28-09, 10:40 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow...thanks for the info... I installed the front and never got it aligned and was not going to get it aligned when I do the rear. I will know what to do when I do the rear. Thanks.

No issue at all with the front...didn't have to do any align it. I guess I will do all four when I get the rear. Hope they don't f it up.
Old 03-02-09, 09:07 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm thinking about purchasing the rear RCA's but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

How difficult is it to install the rear RCA's? My machanic who is a Lexus Master Technician (Sonnie from Dynamic) is very good, however he has not done this install before. Would this be a difficult install for him?

After you lock in your camber adjustment with the inserts, can you still adjust height, change spacers, or switch wheels without effecting the camber? Or do you need to re-install a different insert and re-align?

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Rich27; 03-02-09 at 10:09 AM.
Old 03-02-09, 10:40 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by audio28
I'm thinking about purchasing the rear RCA's but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer.

How difficult is it to install the rear RCA's? My machanic who is a Lexus Master Technician (Sonnie from Dynamic) is very good, however he has not done this install before. Would this be a difficult install for him?

After you lock in your camber adjustment with the inserts, can you still adjust height, change spacers, or switch wheels without effecting the camber? Or do you need to re-install a different insert and re-align?

Thanks for the help!

The install is fairly straightforward and should be no issue for your tech. Give a call to Exact for the recommended setting depending on your amount of drop. Any time you adjust the ride height on a car an alignment is recommended, regardless of whether you have the camber kit, but in general with these RCAs, the insert used will be good for a slight adjustment up and down without requiring the need to switch to a different spacer.

You will definitely need an alignment when you first install the camber plates.
Old 03-03-09, 09:40 AM
Rich27
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the response Glen! I really appreciate it!
Old 03-03-09, 01:28 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Default Rear Camber kit UPDATE

I installed the EXACT rear camber kit a few weeks ago and have been driving another car until I can get it aligned. I took it to a Lexus shop and they respectfully declined to pursue the work due to excessive corrosion and the possibility that the rear tie rods (toe adjusters) may need to be torched out. So, the service manager suggested another shop that specializes in custom fab work, exhaust, racing applications, etc.

My car is now at the new shop but I am waiting for them to look at it tomorrow to get the verdict. The techs that have looked at it so far are afraid the OEM rear toe link will not allow enough adjustment to bring it back to spec.

I have done lots of research here and elsewhere and have not read anything about requiring an aftermarket or custom toe adjustment after a mild drop.

The shop should be able to get the toe back to near-factory spec. right?

I would like to arm myself with more information before I speak to the shop manager again tomorrow. Thanks guys!
Old 03-03-09, 03:13 PM
RMMGS4

I installed the EXACT rear camber kit a few weeks ago and have been driving another car until I can get it aligned. I took it to a Lexus shop and they respectfully declined to pursue the work due to excessive corrosion and the possibility that the rear tie rods (toe adjusters) may need to be torched out. So, the service manager suggested another shop that specializes in custom fab work, exhaust, racing applications, etc.

My car is now at the new shop but I am waiting for them to look at it tomorrow to get the verdict. The techs that have looked at it so far are afraid the OEM rear toe link will not allow enough adjustment to bring it back to spec.

I have done lots of research here and elsewhere and have not read anything about requiring an aftermarket or custom toe adjustment after a mild drop.

I would like to arm myself with more information before I speak to the shop manager again tomorrow. Thanks guys!
I think I answered most of your concerns starting in post #4.

I don't need to answer the dealer or other concerns as they are based on pure speculation on what they THINK "could" happen or what they are GUESSING "might" need to be done.

Let's talk facts about what I KNOW:
1. My car is dropped excessively and even the dealer cannot do anything about aligning it to spec. since the OEM adjustments are maxxed out.

2. With the camber kit installed my car is now in spec and I reported those numbers.

3. You can see how much my car is dropped and note that I am only using the #1 setting on the camber spacers. You would have to drop your car more then me in order to use the #2 and #3 settings.

Sounds like your local shops are a little gun shy to go into un-chartered territory. How can you blame them?

I did have my car aligned at a custom alignment shop that specializes in modified suspensions. Hopefully you can find that type of shop in your area.

There is no rocket science to this. Install the blocks starting with the #1 spacer setting, align the toe and caster, then see what the camber setting values are. If you still have negative camber, then proceed to the #2 spacer setting and try again.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-03-09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-03-09, 03:26 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Thanks again for reinforcing, I'm just paranoid about every little thing with this car now. It seems like it's a domino effect of issues.
I think youre right though, a Lexus dealer will most definitely not want to dig into a custom suspension setup.
Old 03-03-09, 03:43 PM
RMMGS4

Thanks again for reinforcing, I'm just paranoid about every little thing with this car now. It seems like it's a domino effect of issues.
I think youre right though, a Lexus dealer will most definitely not want to dig into a custom suspension setup.

I understand your concern as it is legitimate.

If you were local then we have the shops that have done this several times already for other members. They had to get familiar with what the camber kit is doing , then understand how the geometry works with adjusting the toe and caster.

You really need a Skilled Technician that understands suspension geometry versus a person who only knows how to align when the machine tells him what to do. It's kind of like a cashier being able to calculate your change in their head versus relying on the cash register to tell them what the change amount should be.
Old 05-15-09, 09:07 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

are these the same as the SAGE RCA?? wats the difference?
Old 05-15-09, 10:03 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by GS300ToM
are these the same as the SAGE RCA?? wats the difference?
The Exact RCA’s were the FIRST to design and offer a camber adjustable rear RCA. Before these came out there were JDM rear kits that looked very similar with No Adjustment and sold for around $400. Youzealand was one of the Original companies offering the non-adjustable version. I had the first prototypes installed in my car about a year ago. After they tested it on my car, they improved the design on the production units to make it stronger and maintain long term reliability. For more strength, they also chose to construct their RCA out of quality grade steel and cad plate it for corrosion resistance. All the other RCAs out there are made of aluminum. The weight difference is minimal, and a non- issue to me. The other improvement they did was to increase the camber adjustment range which the 3 settings will allow roughly +1.5, +2 and +3 degrees of positive camber. From an install side, they also designed their brackets so that you cannot accidentally flip left to right sides.

As I said many times already, the $299 cost that you spend on these RCA’s will more than pay for themselves by ELIMINATING pre-mature inner tire wear. If you are on air that’s a different story, but if not, I am really curious about the people who roll with excessive camber, if they will eventually get tired of wearing out the inner tire tread down to the threads and still have the rest of the tire have 90% of the tread left. For me I don’t run cheap tires, because I’m into performance and I’m interested in a suspension that handles well, so my choice was a no-brainer.

Note also that these RCA’s aren’t mass produced in Asia. These are made by CL vendor who has supported NorCal GS members for 8 years and per our request, they came out with these adjustable RCA’s. They’re made in the USA for Exact by a well known design, fabrication and machine shop in Silicon Valley.

As for the Sage, not sure what the issue is here with getting proper alignment:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ictures-3.html

see post #34 and 40

We are in un-chartered territory so let's see how things turn out.

Since I dropped my car further, I'm going to have my car aligned once again and I'll post pics of my drop and settings when I'm done.

Stay Tuned.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 05-15-09 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-15-09, 10:48 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

got more than i wanted lol

Last edited by GS300ToM; 05-15-09 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 11:47 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

My machanic who is a Lexus Master Technician (Sonnie from Dynamic) is very good, however he has not done this install before. Would this be a difficult install for him?
I just got back from Son's shop and he told me about this as my tires are wearing like crap. He said he has installed one steup already and he can do it with out issues. He also does alignment in the shop so no worries.
Old 05-22-09, 12:11 PM
kit cat

I know it's been months since this thread but if you still do have this issue, take it to Northwest Alignment in Zionsville IN.

My front camber eccentric bolt was frozen so I had to have them break it off. The rears are doing the same also...damn midwest salt/snow.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Rear Camber For Gs98-05