Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I am installing the following to make my car sit level tomorrow......

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 12:38 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lucky schmucky. Lexus should have just made the damn car sit level, why is is that hard.
Old 07-13-08, 12:41 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,856 Likes on 2,338 Posts

Mine does. 2mm difference front l to r.
Old 07-13-08, 12:47 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Go ahead, rub it in.
Old 07-13-08, 01:15 AM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever made a comment that your car leans? Our cars are rarely parked on perfectly level surfaces, so I would be surprised to hear that someone would notice.
Old 07-13-08, 09:58 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

i don't notice any lean on my 2is.

what's the big deal w/ this leaning issue anyway?
Old 07-13-08, 10:20 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Honestly I don't mean to sound snyde when I say this, but I really could not care less what anyone else notices or thinks, it is me who it bothers. Toyotas from what i have noticed all lean on the driver side (Tacomas, Tundras, IS, and GS). These are the only ones I have had experience with, but with that being said, why can't they make a level car.
Every other car I have had was dead level let me start from when I was 16 (Mustang GT, F150, A4, S4, M3) these all sat dead level. Some of them I put drop coils on and they still were dead level. WHAT GIVES? I can understand 1mm or 2mm, but most of our cars are upwards of 10mm or so. I have heard of members reporting there cars are 1/2 inch off.
Yes my car is on dead level ground when I measure, that should go without saying.
Old 07-13-08, 12:18 PM
Lama
Driver

Honestly, I used to use those coil clamps "back in the day" (1980's) to lower tons of vehicles. We used them on McPherson strut Toyota's, Nissans, Chevy's, whatever. They actually work, and I never had one pop loose, but I do admit I was a kid back then and we did all kinds of crazy *****, so take that as you may. Really the method we "perfected" back in the day (remember, there was no lowering springs back then) was: 1) cutting coils with a chop saw, and 2) heating the spring with a torch, car on a floor jack, lowering car to desired height, then letting it cool. #2 was a real fire hazzard, but we were stoned anyway.

Good luck with the coil clamps. They are truly ghetto fabulous.

NOTE: The only way to use those clamps is to clamp one coil round to the adjacent coil round, 2 clamps opposite of each other. Don't think you can only tighten them "half way", they will spin around the coil at the first drive, and will then meet up with each other and screw everything up. Thus, I think you will be getting WAYYY more drop than you expect on the particular spring you are trying to level. NEVER just install one clamp on one spring, it will not work.

Last edited by Lama; 07-13-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 12:36 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the advice lama. I don't know if I can make them work or not. I kinda gave up because I got lazy and didnt want to mess with it. I am getting bored with my car anyways, I just am not making enough money to get anything better. If I could I would dump this car and get a GT2 or GT3 or maybe that new LP560 for my fun car and a Range Rover Sport for my daily driver.
In other words I am not going to give a **** anymore because I really don't care about this car so much.
Old 07-13-08, 01:20 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

date a fat girl and have her sit shotgun
Old 07-13-08, 02:01 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it bothers you so much that it's making you almost depressed and bored with the car then why not just go get your coil overs again instead of coming on here with thread after thread complaining about "the lean" that nobody else seems to has much of an issue with? There are lots of little things that can bother someone who expects perfection but that's on any car but sometimes you have to know that any car will have it's share of problems and issues. Even if you got your dream car I'll BET you'll find something to complain about just go hang out at their forums and you'll see..
Old 07-13-08, 02:55 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sincityIS
1/4 inch is a ton. It is totally noticeable.
Your's leans only 1/4 inch, my car leaned almost 1" higher on the passengers side, it "was" so noticable that I was happy to spend some serious $$$ to get coilovers. Of course you already know, as you had the same solution once .
Old 07-13-08, 05:31 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

here's my recommendation for your "lean" issue: learn to live with it. it will eventually take less toll on your sanity and your pocketbook trying to fix it. that, and it's not a horrific manufacturer's defect...
Old 07-13-08, 05:37 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Scythe
date a fat girl and have her sit shotgun
Best advice in this thread so far.

Originally Posted by ba-b4
If it bothers you so much that it's making you almost depressed and bored with the car then why not just go get your coil overs again instead of coming on here with thread after thread complaining about "the lean" that nobody else seems to has much of an issue with? There are lots of little things that can bother someone who expects perfection but that's on any car but sometimes you have to know that any car will have it's share of problems and issues. Even if you got your dream car I'll BET you'll find something to complain about just go hang out at their forums and you'll see..
Yes. Get coilovers and be done with it.
Old 07-13-08, 07:00 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Yes, I have learned to just live with it. I don't care anymore. I am not going to spend more money on it. I am going to get rid of it in about a year or so. Hopefully I will have the money to get about $200,000-$250,000 in cars at the time, then my problems will be resolved, lol. I am not expecting a 35K car to be perfect, just to sit level. I do expect the dash rattles and other minor nuances. I love the car for the money, but this is a forum and a place to discuss issues, whether good or bad, about the car, right?
Old 07-13-08, 07:09 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Absolutely right! Good or bad this should be the place to talk about it, that's what we're here for. Sorry your idea didn't work out.

Quick Reply: I am installing the following to make my car sit level tomorrow......