Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RCA's and Tein Flex

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 09:56 AM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCA's and Tein Flex

I'm considering getting the RCA's to correct camber, but from what I understand I would have to raise my coilovers by whatever the thickness of the RCA block. Is there a minimum of the threaded part of the Flex's that needs to remain in the bottom part? I don't want to turn it up too high and it becoming a safety issue.

Thanks in advance for your responses
Old 02-02-08, 12:23 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just raise it up to compensate for the thickness of the block. if the block is 1", raise the coilover by 1" to retain the same heigh.
Old 02-02-08, 01:00 PM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have not lowered your FLEX, then you should not worry about it. The rca lowers about an inch, and if you haven't lowered your flex at all, then you shouldn't have that much camber to need the rca's. Try getting an alignment done and see if they can correct it enough to put it back into stoc specifications before you go and get the rca's if you are worried about lowering the car.
Old 02-02-08, 01:44 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses guys,

My car is lowered and the camber is slightly out of spec. Does anyone know how much of the threaded part of the coilover is supposed to remain in the bottom to not create a safety hazard? I'm sure if you crunk it up to high, you would actually take the coilover apart.

Also, do all of you kind of stick with the RCA's from Exact, or is there someone else that has them?
Old 02-02-08, 02:18 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RCAs are not always an inch think, the RCAs I have are only half inch think.
And yes, someone mention that installing the RCAs and having the coils maxed out made the upper arm hit. However; I can't say that will happend to every GS or that it won't
RCAs will lower the car without changing camber and it will lower according to the thickness of the RCA installed. Now, the way to corrrect camber using this methood is by lifting a already lowered car to the previous height before the RCAs were installed.
Old 02-02-08, 02:27 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

I think I'm just not making myself clear, sorry. I know how the RCA's work and the effect they have on camber. If I install a say one inch think RCA and raise my colivers by an inch, do I risk not leaving enough threads in the bottom part of the coilover? How much thread needs to remain in the bottom of the coilover to not create a safety hazard?
Old 02-02-08, 02:35 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Are you serious?
Flex have an adjusment of 3" in order for you to be having camber issues, you have to be about 2+ inches drop, so do the math from there.
Old 02-02-08, 04:01 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

If the coilover body is threaded, it's fine. I've had my coils set on the where the threaded area ends and i've had no problems.
Old 02-02-08, 04:07 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SloGS400
I think I'm just not making myself clear, sorry. I know how the RCA's work and the effect they have on camber. If I install a say one inch think RCA and raise my colivers by an inch, do I risk not leaving enough threads in the bottom part of the coilover? How much thread needs to remain in the bottom of the coilover to not create a safety hazard?
you can max out the Tein flex but it will not work with 1" RCAs. the upper arm will hit the body
when you install the 1" RCAs and raise the coilover 1". the height of the car will remaining the same, but less negative camber.
Old 02-02-08, 04:11 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by dung0981
you can max out the Tein flex but it will not work with 1" RCAs. the upper arm will hit the body
when you install the 1" RCAs and raise the coilover 1". the height of the car will remaining the same, but less negative camber.
Doan, I plan on doing this.

Old 02-02-08, 06:18 PM
dung0981
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chrispy
Doan, I plan on doing this.

chris, make sure the wheel will clear the fender.i think you need to add more negative camber to clear those wheel. anyways,i have seen pics of your car, look good.
Old 02-04-08, 02:36 PM
gcam77
Driver

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
RCAs are not always an inch think, the RCAs I have are only half inch think.
Where did you get half inch thick RCAs? I need a set for LS400 BBK. Thanks
Old 02-04-08, 04:04 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Are you serious?
Flex have an adjusment of 3" in order for you to be having camber issues, you have to be about 2+ inches drop, so do the math from there.
Edit from my previous post.

I think you are misunderstanding what he is asking. He is talking about the lower portion of the coilover, not changing where the collars are sitting now. In other words, how far can he unscrew the lower body of the Tein's so he doesn't have to change the settings on the collars/alter where the spring is. Correct me if I'm wrong Slo.

Check out this link:
http://www.tein.com/tech_info/inst/6y98u.pdf

Go to page 5, the measurement you want to check out is the one labeled "B". It is the distance from the top of the shock to the middle (diameter of mounting hole/2)of the mounting point of the lower bracket. By threading the lower bracket up or down this height can be adjusted .98 inches either way. So, in other words, as long as the person who installed it set the coilovers up as tein instructs you to in the directions you should be able to raise the car up to .98 inches with the lower bracket which would account for your RCA's.

I think thats the answer you were looking for, hope it helps.

Last edited by macd7919; 02-04-08 at 06:00 PM.
Old 02-04-08, 04:09 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by macd7919
I think you are misunderstanding what he is asking. He is talking about the lower portion of the coilover, not the part that is threaded with the collars. In other words, how far can he unscrew the lower body of the Tein's so he doesn't have to change the settings on the collars/alter where the spring is. Correct me if I'm wrong Slo.

Btw, if I remember correctly as long as you maintain at least 3-4 full turns of the lower shock body you should be ok. Tein will have the exact info but I believe that is the rule of thumb.

Ok, thanks for that info. I just didn't want to raise the coilovers up too much and end up disassembling them by not leaving enough threads in the shock body. I might just get in touch with Tein and find out for sure.

Thanks again
Old 02-04-08, 05:35 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by macd7919
I think you are misunderstanding what he is asking.
I know what he is asking. He thinks that by cranking the rings up, that some how the strut will come apart Like I said before, if he has camber issues, he is most likely lower than 2". Which is normal, there are a lot of members here that are maxed out on there coilovers.

Lifting the coilover an inch will not affect the strut in any way, it might even make the car handle better.

Quick Reply: RCA's and Tein Flex