Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Will this work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 01:40 PM
falnangl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this work?

Hey Guys,

So I mounted my volks on my 00 gs300 and both the front and rear stick out of the fenders just barely. we're talking a 1/4 of an inch or so. I don't have any rubbing on the front but I do on the rear and this is with the stock suspension. I would prefer to keep the rims but I definately need to roll the fenders and drop. I'm thinking the popular tanabe nf210 springs, kyb shocks and daizen steering rack bushings. I'm also going to change the ***** joints and outer tie rods for good measure at I'm at 70k miles, not to mention I'm still getting a nasty vibration in the steering wheel even after fitting the correct hubcentric rings on my rims. sooooo.... my questions are:

-how difficult is it to roll the fenders on the gs? I was quoted $120/fender by my tuning shop and they said the gs is a pain to roll because of the sound deadening material they fill the fenders with. is this true, or is that price high? is it something many of you have done on your own with success?

-even after rolling my fenders will I still get rubbing after I drop the car since my tires/rims are already barely sticking out? is there anything else I can do to try and prevent that as I really like the look of my current rims on the GS.

-lastly where is the best and lowest priced place to buy:
*Tanabe NF210 Springs
*KYB Shocks
*Daizen Steering Rack Bushings
*Ball joints and Tie Rods

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 11-07-07, 01:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

sound deadening in the fender? I'm not an expert at fender rolling, but I think they only modify the lip of the fender. There is no sound deadening material I know of on our fender.

Go to another shop for another quote
Old 11-07-07, 02:02 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Sound deadener in the fender? LOL. They are feeding you BS because you drive a Lexus.

Depending on how low your offsets are, you might be able to get away a smaller tire size or drop the suspension lower so the wheels will camber a bit to clear the fenders.
Old 11-07-07, 02:53 PM
falnangl
Driver School Candidate

^thanks. I'll check with my body shop guy for a quote on rolling my fenders. anyone try the old rolling with a bat trick? I've seen the cutting the fender DIY but I'd rather not cut into the sheet metal.

what about the items I mentioned? any good online shops to buy from?
Old 11-07-07, 04:30 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by falnangl
^thanks. I'll check with my body shop guy for a quote on rolling my fenders. anyone try the old rolling with a bat trick? I've seen the cutting the fender DIY but I'd rather not cut into the sheet metal.

what about the items I mentioned? any good online shops to buy from?
The GS has double thickness sheetmetal on the rear fender. The old bat trick works for the front fenders and other cars with a single layer of sheetmetal.

Though there will be some people who will post that they can roll successfully, it is not without risk. If someone will do it for you and guarantee that your paint will not crack over time, feel free to go for it. There are many discussions why people prefer shaving, so don't rule it out until you read up on it.

IMO if just a slight clearancing is needed then fender shaving a 1/4 inch or slightly more is what most people will do. We have NO problems with rust, NO problems with weakening of the fender, NO Problems with fender seams splitting, NO problems with jagged edges as long as the shaving process and the other follow on steps are "Done Right" with the proper tools, etc.

Do an advanced search for "fender shaving" or "Fender rolling". This topic has been discussed many times over the years and you would do much better to read the past discussions than to start the topic over again. Most of the veteran and experienced members have provided good feedback on this topic long ago, so expecting them to all chime in on the same question for the umpteen time is not likely.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-07-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 05:15 PM
falnangl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
The GS has double thickness sheetmetal on the rear fender. The old bat trick works for the front fenders and other cars with a single layer of sheetmetal.

Though there will be some people who will post that they can roll successfully, it is not without risk. If someone will do it for you and guarantee that your paint will not crack over time, feel free to go for it. There are many discussions why people prefer shaving, so don't rule it out until you read up on it.

IMO if just a slight clearancing is needed then fender shaving a 1/4 inch or slightly more is what most people will do. We have NO problems with rust, NO problems with weakening of the fender, NO Problems with fender seams splitting, NO problems with jagged edges as long as the shaving process and the other follow on steps are "Done Right" with the proper tools, etc.

Do an advanced search for "fender shaving" or "Fender rolling". This topic has been discussed many times over the years and you would do much better to read the past discussions than to start the topic over again. Most of the veteran and experienced members have provided good feedback on this topic long ago, so expecting them to all chime in on the same question for the umpteen time is not likely.
thanks. I appreciate the info. I'll definately research shaving the fenders a little more. as for the pricing the best I found thus far is $250+shipping ($73 to hawaii) for a set of 4 kyb shocks. of course that doesn't include the upper mounts which I guess the GS requires. the lower I found on the tanabe NF springs is $190+shipping ($50 to hawaii). does that sound pretty good?
Old 11-07-07, 05:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

There is someone in the calssified section sellin the NF210 for $100+shipping.
Old 11-07-07, 05:26 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shaving/cutting all the way. trust me, this is from experience.
Old 11-07-07, 07:20 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

thanks. I appreciate the info. I'll definately research shaving the fenders a little more. as for the pricing the best I found thus far is $250+shipping ($73 to hawaii) for a set of 4 kyb shocks. of course that doesn't include the upper mounts which I guess the GS requires. the lower I found on the tanabe NF springs is $190+shipping ($50 to hawaii). does that sound pretty good?
where did you find them that cheap????
Old 11-07-07, 07:52 PM
excluesive
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cant you transfer the upper mount from the shocks u have now?

whats the width and offset on you rims?
Old 11-07-07, 07:53 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Yes you can. I reused all my OEM parts (top hat, bumpstop, etc).
Old 11-08-07, 11:28 AM
falnangl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
There is someone in the calssified section sellin the NF210 for $100+shipping.
thanks but those are for 06+GS's.
Old 11-08-07, 11:29 AM
falnangl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by excluesive
cant you transfer the upper mount from the shocks u have now?

whats the width and offset on you rims?
19x9.5, 32mm offset in the front and 19x10.5, 29mm offset in the rear. the tires are 245/35 in the front and 275/30 in the rear.
Old 11-08-07, 11:29 AM
falnangl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
Yes you can. I reused all my OEM parts (top hat, bumpstop, etc).
sweet! thanks.
Old 11-15-07, 11:51 AM
Badmittn
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

So I mounted my volks on my 00 gs300 and both the front and rear stick out of the fenders just barely. we're talking a 1/4 of an inch or so. I don't have any rubbing on the front but I do on the rear and this is with the stock suspension. I would prefer to keep the rims but I definately need to roll the fenders and drop. !
Would love to see a picture of the finish product.

Quick Reply: Will this work?