Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-07, 06:54 PM
supra_trd
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a lot of damage balljoints but no report of accident caused by balljoints. I copy the recall from 97 Lexus GS300 recall on lower balljoints:
1997 LEXUS GS300 Recall ID from NHTSA: 99V125000
Auto Recall Date: 19990519
Vehicle Component: SUSPENSION:FRONT:CONTROL ARM:LOWER BALL JOINT
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 2737
1997 LEXUS GS300 Defect Summary:
VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. DUE TO INADEQUATE LUBRICATION OF THE INSIDE OF THE LOWER BALL JOINTS, EXCESSIVE WEAR CAN OCCUR CAUSING DAMAGE TO THE LOWER BALL JOINTS. SEPARATION OF THE LOWER BALL JOINTS FROM THE STEERING KNUCKLE ARMS COULD OCCUR.
Defect Consequence:
THIS CONDITION COULD LEAD TO A LOSS OF CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE LOWER BALL JOINTS.
Notes: TOYOTA MOTOR CO., LTD.,
Old 10-10-07, 07:00 PM
supra_trd
Driver

The updated ball joints are from 03+. Your GS are from 03 w/ only 44K. You might be the only one reported of bad ball joints.

Originally Posted by Methodical
So ball joints are not covered under warranty? My GS has 44k miles and I'm already starting to hear a creaking sound whenever I pull in and out of driveways or I take a turn.
Old 10-11-07, 10:55 AM
j.tom
Rookie

Can someone DO a DIY (With pic's) on checking the balljoint PLEASEEEEE..
Old 10-11-07, 11:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

There is already a DIY. Use the search button. This topic comes up almost every week
Old 10-11-07, 11:50 AM
TRD911
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin.tran
second picture
I have had several conversations about these failures. There is no doubt that they are occuring BUT what is it that is breaking? Are they truely breaking or are they wearing out I know that seems like an odd statement BUT. If they are breaking then that shows material problems. If they are wearing from being ackwardly binded then that would be a design issue.

The only theory me and my friends can come up with is that the joint is rubbing itself thin and then breaking. Can anyone come up with a mode of failure for these joints?

Kevin I would love to see a close close up picture shot of the broken peice of the ball joint.

I have replaced mine at 78k, I could not tell the difference before / after. I could not feel any slop in the joint I have the old ones and I am actually sorry I wasted my time and more so money replacing them.

I never heard any clunks or squeeks etc. I was just scared my wheel would end up 90 deg out of turn.

Thanks for the DIY who ever that was it helped a great deal++++

B
Old 10-11-07, 11:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This is scary. After reading one of the earlier threads some years back, I changed them in the LS. However, I've not come across any LS's in our section that have had this issue.
Old 10-11-07, 01:31 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good Lord, I'm glad you weren't going any faster than you were going. $900 beans is some serious cash, but you know it could have been easily 3x that amount if not more . Thanks for the reminder. Another CL member sent me this thread, thanks Kevin.
Old 10-11-07, 01:45 PM
JDMToyotas
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

going to look at mines...but my car does not wear heavy *** rims to damage or put stress on them so....yea i will still look at mine
Old 10-11-07, 03:02 PM
G4inRich
Rookie

Thats crazy ! The same thing happened to me in my GS400 going about 30 mph. I was a half a block away from the toll where I was gonna get on the highway because I was late for work...Scary? I had the same damage done to my fender. Does anyone know what else to check after this happens to your car?
Old 10-11-07, 03:04 PM
G4inRich
Rookie

Just be careful...u dont have to have heavy rims for this to happen because I have stock 16's and **** still happened...
Old 10-11-07, 06:50 PM
kevin.tran
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

j.tom:
I posted the link for the DIY ball joint replacement on page 4 please go look for it. It should have pictures on there.

bmpiazzola:
I attached a close up picture of the ball joint for you hope it helps if not let me know and I'll try to enlarge it if I can. Also let me know what you've come up with.

g4inrich:
This happend to you to? Where it accutually gave out like mines did? If so post some pictures and we'll take in acct. what happend because we're trying to bring it up to Lexus's attention.

If anyone know someone that this had happend to refer them to this post. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners-dscn0466.jpg  
Old 10-13-07, 06:13 PM
roller400
Rookie

So how long can you drive while after you start to hear the creaking? I noticed a small creaking a couple weeks ago, and then the loud creaking when I turned the wheal all the way in a direction. I have a appt to get it fixed, but that isn't for about a week and I don't want to be stranded.
Old 10-13-07, 06:46 PM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roller400
So how long can you drive while after you start to hear the creaking? I noticed a small creaking a couple weeks ago, and then the loud creaking when I turned the wheal all the way in a direction. I have a appt to get it fixed, but that isn't for about a week and I don't want to be stranded.
I would be extremely careful and keep the mph down on the hwy! You should be fine but I wouldn't want to take the big chance!
Old 10-13-07, 10:05 PM
roller400
Rookie

Oh yeah, I also got quoted $1400 from the dealership. This must be the upper and lower assy, since I don't think even a dealership would charge that much to replace two lower ball joints that cost $60 each. Can this problem be fixed with just replacing the bottoms?

I am having a mechanic look at it, but I want to have as much info as possible.
Old 10-13-07, 11:49 PM
CoolGuy660
Driver

WOW......

I'm glad I saw this topic, cause my right front wheel is hitting the top of the fender. I just thought 20"s were to big. I need to replace them.

Quick Reply: Warning To All 2nd Gen Gs Owners