Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lower ball joint failure/Tein Flex issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 06:05 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower ball joint failure/Tein Flex issue?

What's up everyone,

I know this is suspension related, but that section simply doesn't get viewed as often as this section.

I installed my Tein Flex's the other day and noticed that I hear a clunk when going over speed bumps or pulling into driveways. Is there a chance that a lower ball joint failure could cause this clunk? The clunk comes from the driver's side.
I also noticed that I have to thread my drivers side coilover higher to achieve the same height as the passenger side. If both coils are adjusted the same the driver's side sits about a half to three quarters of an inch lower as the passenger side. Could this drooping on the driver's side be caused by a bad ball joint, or what else could cause it? Could it be a bad coilover?

I've searched previous threads on clunking and tein's, but simply haven't found an answer.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.
Old 10-05-07, 06:19 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Only way to find out is to check the balljoint itself. But if it's making noise going over speed bumps and onto your driveway, then chances are, your balljoint is almost gone.
Old 10-05-07, 06:25 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Only way to find out is to check the balljoint itself. But if it's making noise going over speed bumps and onto your driveway, then chances are, your balljoint is almost gone.

Thanks for the reply,

Could an almost gone ball joint also cause a drooping in the suspension? The reason I ask is because I plan on going to the dealership tomorrow and buying ball joints and tie rod ends and I want to know what else I should pick up if anything.
Old 10-05-07, 06:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

It could possibly be why your driver side is lower, But I highly doubt it would lower your car that much. There is only so much play before the joint snaps. 3/4th inch is beyond what the balljoints could do.

You can check out the joint yourself if you wish to. Actually, since you're changing out the balljoints and tie-rods anyways, it wouldn't matter
Old 10-05-07, 07:02 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
It could possibly be why your driver side is lower, But I highly doubt it would lower your car that much. There is only so much play before the joint snaps. 3/4th inch is beyond what the balljoints could do.

You can check out the joint yourself if you wish to. Actually, since you're changing out the balljoints and tie-rods anyways, it wouldn't matter

Hmm, ok thanks. Still trying to figure out why my coilovers have to be set uneven in order to have my car level.
Old 10-05-07, 08:18 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i had the exact same thing happened to me, with teincs2, and 20" wheels i was too worried if my ball joints were bad or the coilovers , have a gs400, 2000 but they werent i guess i just adjusted my ,my teins to make it even now its seems ok,
i was told by members here that our car naturaly is lower on one side...anyways
i already bought the ball joints and just waiting to be changed. which i suggest to anyone with over90k on gs
Old 10-06-07, 04:31 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

your balljoints are fine if you did not have the noise before

the noise you are hearing is the pillow ball mounts .. they make random noises especially as they wear in.. if you bought these used be aware that the mounts get loose and need to be disassembled by teins and tighten from underneath the mount and reassembled .. it happen to me on my pass side within 9 months of having them and teins had to freshen it up for me free of cost

the uneven is natural.. the gas sits different from side to side .. your alignment settings also contributes to this if camber on one side is more + or - and if toe is more or less dont worry about that thats the beauty of coilover you can adjust to even out
Old 10-06-07, 08:30 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexforlife
your balljoints are fine if you did not have the noise before

the noise you are hearing is the pillow ball mounts .. they make random noises especially as they wear in.. if you bought these used be aware that the mounts get loose and need to be disassembled by teins and tighten from underneath the mount and reassembled .. it happen to me on my pass side within 9 months of having them and teins had to freshen it up for me free of cost

the uneven is natural.. the gas sits different from side to side .. your alignment settings also contributes to this if camber on one side is more + or - and if toe is more or less dont worry about that thats the beauty of coilover you can adjust to even out
You are right on the money on narrowing down the source of the noise. I had a buddy of mine check my complete suspension over and everything is fine aside from the driver's side front coilover. He put the car on a lift and raised it just enough to be able to but a crow bar under the tire and lift up on it. Sure enough you can hear and see the part where you adjust the dampening raising up and clicking. So apparently that pillow ball mount dissapeared.

Any chance of Tein sending me the parts needed to replace that mount??? I don't have another car to drive and I'm sure the turnaround time on getting my coilover back is a couple of weeks.

Thanks for everyones input.