Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Comfort vs. Style Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-07, 07:31 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comfort vs. Style Question

Well my GS came with 16" stock chrome wheels which looks okay but somewhat small for me. I love the ride comfort that I have now which I missed in my previous GS. I'm trying to acheive the best of both worlds. I wouldn't mind so much driving dropped on the 16's ONLY if the there isn't a large gap. My other option is to get 18's, drop the car but keep the stock tires and NOT install low-profile tires at least to maintain ride comfort. If I do decide go with this, will rubbing occur? Keep in mind that I'm using Tanabe DF10's and Bilstein HD shocks for this mod. I want to keep as much ride comfort as I possible can. Pics of any the two setups will be VERY, VERY appreciated.
Old 08-10-07, 08:07 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Are the Bilstein HDs and DF210's already installed? How do you find the ride?
Old 08-10-07, 09:59 PM
KRGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also long for my plush ride back.

The best of both worlds was actualy when I ran:

Stock 16 Chrome Rims 16X8
245/50/16 PZero Nero M+S
H&R 25 mm Spacers in the rears
Great Stance, Fat/Wide Tire look, Lower Overall Diameter kept me very snappy quick off the line, 245/50 series absorbed every bump on the road.

Tried 235/45/17s, 245/45/17s, currently running 245/40/19s Pilot Sport A/S
Bilstein Sports/Eibach/Tein/Daizen suspension mods

Sweet looking with 18s or higher... but seriously the ride is not plush at all.
Old 08-10-07, 10:17 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrG4Life
Well my GS came with 16" stock chrome wheels which looks okay but somewhat small for me. I love the ride comfort that I have now which I missed in my previous GS. I'm trying to acheive the best of both worlds. I wouldn't mind so much driving dropped on the 16's ONLY if the there isn't a large gap. My other option is to get 18's, drop the car but keep the stock tires and NOT install low-profile tires at least to maintain ride comfort. If I do decide go with this, will rubbing occur? Keep in mind that I'm using Tanabe DF10's and Bilstein HD shocks for this mod. I want to keep as much ride comfort as I possible can. Pics of any the two setups will be VERY, VERY appreciated.
i don't know what you are trying to ask in the other option part, but i will try to cover on the topic

the only way you can make those 16s look decent, is by adding large spacers. However; 18s with the DFs should look good and the tire would still have plenty of side wall to keep a comfortable ride. just because you are going with a larger wheel, it does not mean you have to take away from the tire. get the bigger side wall tire and try to fill as much of that fender without going over the top. if i were you i would get nitto555 245/45/18, that should look the best on a 18x8.5 wheel. the rubbing issue will all depend on the offset of the wheels you get.
Old 08-11-07, 03:47 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My other option is to get 18's, drop the car but keep the stock tires and NOT install low-profile tires at least to maintain ride comfort.
Not sure what you mean. You cannot put OEM (or any) tires for 16" rims on 18" rims.
Old 08-11-07, 06:42 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Sorry for the confusion as I was rushing post the thread before picking up a relative. For option #2, well I was thinking of keeping the larger sidewall tires that I have on their now (225/55/16) and putting on them on a set of 18's. So I was wondering if this will cause rubbing when installed with the springs and shocks I mentioned earlier. Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-07, 06:49 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by natnut
Are the Bilstein HDs and DF210's already installed? How do you find the ride?
Bilstein HD's and DF210's. Both are sitting brand new in the box. They were originally for my previous GS but had an accident. Trying to get the the best option for me so that I can have the wheels, tires, springs, shocks, and spacers installed in one shop visit.

Originally Posted by KRGS4
I also long for my plush ride back.

The best of both worlds was actualy when I ran:

Stock 16 Chrome Rims 16X8
245/50/16 PZero Nero M+S
H&R 25 mm Spacers in the rears
Great Stance, Fat/Wide Tire look, Lower Overall Diameter kept me very snappy quick off the line, 245/50 series absorbed every bump on the road.

Tried 235/45/17s, 245/45/17s, currently running 245/40/19s Pilot Sport A/S
Bilstein Sports/Eibach/Tein/Daizen suspension mods

Sweet looking with 18s or higher... but seriously the ride is not plush at all.
Do u have a pic or two???
Old 08-11-07, 08:14 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry for the confusion as I was rushing post the thread before picking up a relative. For option #2, well I was thinking of keeping the larger sidewall tires that I have on their now (225/55/16) and putting on them on a set of 18's.
As stated before that's not possible.
Old 08-11-07, 08:26 AM
gdot
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't put 16" tires on 18" wheels.

I recommend getting some stock 17's with 245/45's and a 25mm spacer on the rears if you want comfort and style.
Old 08-11-07, 11:53 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Ok, ok my fault. I was reading my post again and I see where I messed up at. Of course I don't plan on putting the existing 16" tires on 18" wheels. Let me say this then, if I buy 18" size tires, how big of a sidewall you think I can achieve with the drop. So what I meant to say earlier was I want to have tires like the stock ones (225/55/16) but size 18's and no rubbing after the car is dropped. The low-profile tires I had on my other car were very nice looking but I felt the bumps and the rest of the road more.
Old 08-11-07, 01:45 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, ok my fault. I was reading my post again and I see where I messed up at. Of course I don't plan on putting the existing 16" tires on 18" wheels. Let me say this then, if I buy 18" size tires, how big of a sidewall you think I can achieve with the drop. So what I meant to say earlier was I want to have tires like the stock ones (225/55/16) but size 18's and no rubbing after the car is dropped. The low-profile tires I had on my other car were very nice looking but I felt the bumps and the rest of the road more.
hope you read this
Originally Posted by GS FONZy

the only way you can make those 16s look decent, is by adding large spacers. However; 18s with the DFs should look good and the tire would still have plenty of side wall to keep a comfortable ride. just because you are going with a larger wheel, it does not mean you have to take away from the tire. get the bigger side wall tire and try to fill as much of that fender without going over the top. if i were you i would get nitto555 245/45/18, that should look the best on a 18x8.5 wheel. the rubbing issue will all depend on the offset of the wheels you get.
Old 08-11-07, 02:33 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
hope you read this
Yeah thanks Fonzy. I think I needed to clear the air in this thread with the questions I asked cuz it does sound retarded trying to put 16" tires on 18" wheels.
Old 08-11-07, 06:09 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Bilstein HD's and DF210's. Both are sitting brand new in the box. They were originally for my previous GS but had an accident. Trying to get the the best option for me so that I can have the wheels, tires, springs, shocks, and spacers installed in one shop visit.

Do u have a pic or two???
I would advise you NOT to put on the lowering springs as they would impact your ride BADLY--believe me I had the NF210s(which are already softer than your DF210s) and they were a pain in the posterior. The Bilstein HDs however are top notch.

If you want your car to be a practical daily driver with well sorted handling and not a garage queen, slap on lightweight 19inch forged rims, add some of the suspension mods you see in my sig and call it a day.
Old 09-16-07, 10:39 AM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

My espilers ride pretty nice. As far as the tires...if you go with larger sidewalls you're gunna throw your speedo way off.
Old 09-16-07, 10:49 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

if you want the best of both worlds, minimal gap and no harsh ride, here's my suggestion/opinion/2 cents:

springs: espelir, daizen, or tanabe
shocks: l-tuned or kyb

for wheels, my 2 cents, stay with 17" stockies. at most, go 18's with fat setup.

i am on espelir/bilstein hd and the ride is firm, complete opposite of what lexus luxury defines but acceptable (i like the ride cuz it reminds me of a bmw, but hate the impact to the drop). i've ridden/drove in espelir/kyb and its better than stock. not familiar with the other spring co's, but, everyone seems to praise them. i say espelir cuz their spring rate is darn close to oem.

*DO NOT COMBINE ESPELIR/BISLTEIN SHOCKS, as the bilstein shock valve may be higher than oem/others (i'm still investigating this now) AND it prevents the espelir springs from dropping the correct amount.

Last edited by 4ntvings; 09-16-07 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Comfort vs. Style Question