Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Something you guys might find interesting! - Supra TT Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 02:29 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile Something you guys might find interesting! - Supra TT Brakes

Ok, I'll let the pix do the talking.

SupraTT Calipers Fully Loaded + Rotora Slotted Rotors

Stock 2GS Caliper Fully Loaded + Stock 2GS Rotor

Results? No weight penalty!

You guys might have to wait a bit longer for the DIY guide. My laptop took a dump so I'm still trying to recover the data off of it!
Old 06-26-06, 02:30 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Just to show the difference after I worked on these calipers

Condition when recieved, used from another member.

Re-built!

Old 06-26-06, 05:26 AM
GSV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work - I have a lot of respect for someone who takes the time and effort to show benefit to a product on any car board. Nothing like the feeling of big binders working for you. It is a little overkill unless one autocrosses but man do they look cool too. Living in New England this mod just doesn't seem practical for our winters since for some it is our daily driver. Does this mod require at least 18 inch wheels AND spacers????
Old 06-26-06, 05:37 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that suprises me. I would not have expected the Supra brakes and rotor to out weigh the stock units. Pretty crazy. I just finished painting mine up this weekend and hope to have my Rod Millen stickers this week. I will shot some pics when I get them done.
Old 06-26-06, 06:07 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up
Old 06-26-06, 08:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Very nice DIY... The calipers came out great.. I don't think i could have done that great of job.. Nice..
Old 06-26-06, 08:49 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

How's the stopping power/feel after the conversion?

I notice my car really sucks at braking. I would have to apply about 50% to the pedal to get some braking power.
Old 06-26-06, 08:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

And also, will that setup clear the OEM 16" rims? I'm guessing not since it looks too beefy for my rims
Old 06-26-06, 08:57 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Good info Jeff, pretty much in line with what we've gathered in the past (one good thread here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/60803-some-good-info-on-brakes-upgrade-spec.html )
Old 06-26-06, 09:14 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great.....although your Rotora's are on backwards.....
Old 06-26-06, 09:22 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

those look awesome!!
Old 06-26-06, 09:26 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

awesome information. very good job on the refinishing of those brake calipers.
Old 06-26-06, 09:42 AM
JyGS430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
You know I was thinking that also. I have Rotora's in front and the instructions did say the slots face forward (can't remember if the inside of the rotors were stamped or had a sticker w/ L and R on them).

Great paint job and logo on the calipers!

Last edited by JyGS430; 06-26-06 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-26-06, 10:06 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JyGS430
You know I was thinking that also. I have Rotora's in front and the instructions did say the slots face forward (can't remember if the inside of the rotors were stamped or had a sticker w/ L and R on them).

Great paint job and logo on the calipers!
Yep....I actually put my Rotora's rears this weekend thats why its fresh in my head. It does say it on the box.
Old 06-26-06, 11:43 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSV8
Nice work - I have a lot of respect for someone who takes the time and effort to show benefit to a product on any car board. Nothing like the feeling of big binders working for you. It is a little overkill unless one autocrosses but man do they look cool too. Living in New England this mod just doesn't seem practical for our winters since for some it is our daily driver. Does this mod require at least 18 inch wheels AND spacers????
First of all, thanks for the comments.
As for the brakes...yeah, I do admit it is overkill for daily use,but it's great to have when it's really necessary
I can safely stop from 100mph with pretty much zero brake fade. I did that repetetively about 5 times in a row. The only cooling period was the acceleration time back up to 100mph. This was just to break in/test the brakes of course

Originally Posted by GSteg
And also, will that setup clear the OEM 16" rims? I'm guessing not since it looks too beefy for my rims
The TT brakes will not fit on the puny 16" rims. Thats the only reason why I got these new G35Coupe rims....well ok, these look cooler too . The brakes fit inside the wheels my 18's with no spacers needed. These brakes will also fit inside the stock 17" rims, but will require 15mm spacers.

Originally Posted by TexasGS
Man, that suprises me. I would not have expected the Supra brakes and rotor to out weigh the stock units. Pretty crazy. I just finished painting mine up this weekend and hope to have my Rod Millen stickers this week. I will shot some pics when I get them done.
Bill, the brakes are actually the same weight. Check the weight of the corresponding parts. Rotor+Calipers. I think you were looking at a pic with only a caliper. Don't worry my friend made the same mistake too ....I guess its the reflection of the flash or something. Anyways, they do weigh the exact same. I think it's because the stock caliper is fully cast iron, whereas the TT calipers have a aluminum back piece and cast iron outer piece.

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Ok Ok....I know....I'm swapping it over this weekend

Originally Posted by GSteg
How's the stopping power/feel after the conversion?
I notice my car really sucks at braking. I would have to apply about 50% to the pedal to get some braking power.
The stopping power is incredible compared to the stock brakes. As I posted earlier, I can stop over and over from 100mph with no noticable brake fade. I know the stock brakes will fade after about 2 stops from 100mph....yes I've tried before

As for your brakes not engaging till 50% pedal. Here are a few possible things it could be. Sorted from most likely to least.

1. There are air bubbles in your brake system. Bleed them out and your pedal should engage much sooner and will be much firmer. I drove someone elses GS with some serious air bubbles in the system. It felt like sinking my foot into a bucket of mud when I hit his pedal! Yes, I recommended him to get his brake system bled.

2. Rubber hoses giving out. Might be possible that the hoses are getting a little old and might be expanding a little too much. I mean it is rubber, so you will have the baloon effect when pressure is applied. Fix: Get some stainless steel brake lines. I have the Goodridge ones. Right now, if my pedal is pressed about 60-70% in....thats pretty much full braking force. I have to really push it hard for the pedal to bottom out the pedal. On the other guys GS I drove, I could bottom out the brake pedal and the brakes weren't even close to full force.

3. Brake pads are low/worn out. Get the pads checked. Usually if they are low, it will require the caliper piston to push out further before the brake will engage. If your car is engaging firm after 50% then its probably the pads. If its mushy even after 50%, then check #1 and #2.

Quick Reply: Something you guys might find interesting! - Supra TT Brakes