Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bushing options and part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 08:46 AM
Project300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Part Numbers

Originally Posted by omarkamal
So Lexus has discontinued selling the bushings seperately as they were selling the front LCA bushing up to April 05? 48654-24040 part #

I am getting Supra LCA's - Do I need to get the front UCA done now or can I wait.

Part # on Front UCA?
Part # on Lexus Front Upper Control Arm : (Right) 48610-29046, (Left) 48630-29046

The upper arm usually doesn't wear out nearly as fast as the lower ones, so I would just start by replacing the lower ones and then see if you still think you need the upper ones after driving around some. I think you'll be satisfied with just the lowers.

Some people have claimed that their local dealer sold LCA bushings separately, but nobody can give any info on how to get them so draw your own conclusions about that. It's not a problem now that you can buy aftermarket bushings from multiple sources. A few years ago they were almost impossible to find anywhere, including the dealer.

Maybe the moderators can explain why this thread isn't a sticky yet?
Old 01-05-07, 02:44 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I warned folks to stay away from loose bushings and just save up for completely new Supra front lca's.. You'll be sorry in 10 months that you didn't just replace the control arms completely. In less than a year the clunking will return greater than ever thanks to your ball joints being shot. If you have money to waste on doing the same labor twice within a year go for it
Old 02-22-07, 01:33 PM
WDoherty
Pole Position

so, i replaced my orginal bushings with daizen's, they are a little firm for my taste, especially since i have no other suspension mods (except daizen steering rack bushings). So, i just ordered new bushings and insulators (as i don't know what i did with old ones) from Carson toyota, but now i think i remember there were some steel sleeves like two plates or something when i did the Daizen's. Can anyone remember this or has gone from Daizen's to the 97+ bushings and remember needing sleeves, if so can i even get the sleeves?
Old 03-02-07, 07:08 PM
stonewis
Pole Position

I've searched and searched and can't find the answer to my simple question. What year Supra LCA will fit my '92 SC400?
Old 03-02-07, 08:08 PM
TeCKis300
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Any year MKIV Supra (93-98) LCA's will fit.
Old 03-03-07, 02:59 AM
stonewis
Pole Position

Thanks for the info, TeCKis300! I'm gonna get mine ordered right away.
Old 03-18-07, 09:36 PM
omarkamal
Driver

I have a set of Supra LCA new in box, check out SC classifieds, only $440.00 for the set- New they are $286.00 each
Old 03-23-07, 01:17 PM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

www.lpdauto.com i use there bushing track tested STIFFER THAN THE DAIZEN bushings great for auto-x and drifting
Old 03-26-07, 05:28 PM
LesMan
Driver School Candidate

Just purchased a 95 SC400 w/ 130k miles on it. It's Pearl White in unbelievably good shape, with the exception of the suspension. It looks like the car is bottomed out, and if I hit a bump in the road I hear a distinct clunk from the left rear. It also likes to "wander" when I'm on the freeway and hit any kind of bump or pothole.

I'm taking it to the local Lexus Dealership on Tuesday for their opinion... and I'm preparing myself for some serious sticker shock.

That being said... I'm a relatively handy guy, but I know NOTHING when it comes to suspensions. I've read this entire posting (as well as some others) and I'm wondering... is this a project I can undertake myself with a few common tools?? Or - do these suspension modifications require a lift, welder, torch, impact wrenches, and other specialized tools?

What do you guys think I "should" try myself, and what "should I leave to the professionals??"

Thanks... this is a great resource!!

LesMan@Hotmail.com
Old 04-13-07, 01:30 AM
9teens
Banned SCAMMER

Originally Posted by LesMan
That being said... I'm a relatively handy guy, but I know NOTHING when it comes to suspensions. I've read this entire posting (as well as some others) and I'm wondering... is this a project I can undertake myself with a few common tools?? Or - do these suspension modifications require a lift, welder, torch, impact wrenches, and other specialized tools?

What do you guys think I "should" try myself, and what "should I leave to the professionals??"

LesMan@Hotmail.com
im wondering the same thing
Old 04-13-07, 09:16 PM
olgearhead
Driver School Candidate

Just purchased a 95 SC400 w/ 130k miles on it. It's Pearl White in unbelievably good shape, with the exception of the suspension. It looks like the car is bottomed out, and if I hit a bump in the road I hear a distinct clunk from the left rear. It also likes to "wander" when I'm on the freeway and hit any kind of bump or pothole.

I'm taking it to the local Lexus Dealership on Tuesday for their opinion... and I'm preparing myself for some serious sticker shock.

LesMan@Hotmail.com
Ummm if ya gotta ask I say don't try it. Front end work is just that- work. Proper tools and lifts are really a nice touch- for ANY major job. That being said I have repaired broken cars (busted strut on a POS Plymouth Omni!!) on the side of the road with hand tools and made it work- but by need not by choice. So have at it and have fun. And to you that have made this a valuable resource- THANKS!!!!! Dennis

92 Lexus SC400- my first one! 207k and ready for complete suspension/brake replacement- it still has OEM struts-YEEOUCH
Old 04-14-07, 06:11 AM
Project300
Driver

LesMan@Hotmail.com
LesMan, I sent you a PM with some info. You can do it yourself and you don't need anything more than a big breaker bar and a spring compressor. Plus time and sweat.

Let us know what the Lex dealer has to $ay.
Old 04-17-07, 01:49 AM
ant1k
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Project300
Part # on Lexus Front Upper Control Arm : (Right) 48610-29046, (Left) 48630-29046

The upper arm usually doesn't wear out nearly as fast as the lower ones, so I would just start by replacing the lower ones and then see if you still think you need the upper ones after driving around some. I think you'll be satisfied with just the lowers.

Some people have claimed that their local dealer sold LCA bushings separately, but nobody can give any info on how to get them so draw your own conclusions about that. It's not a problem now that you can buy aftermarket bushings from multiple sources. A few years ago they were almost impossible to find anywhere, including the dealer.

Maybe the moderators can explain why this thread isn't a sticky yet?
so how much are the UCAs? my ball joints are totally shot!. might as well replace it all at once than have things sequentially fail on me.
Old 07-16-07, 07:51 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Default Replace bushings or entire lower control arms?

Great thread! Please sticky, it's the best info on bushings and LCA's I've found using search.

Me and my mechanic are a bit at odds about the bushing replacement vs. just replacing the entire LCA's. He said get a bushing kit and I am thinking I'd rather replace the entire lower control arm if the ball joint is old and will need to be replaced sooner than later anyway.

I would go with him just because the cost. LCA's are outrageous! The bushings are definitely cheaper, but if the suspension is rough after replacing the bushings, the arms would be replaced anyway.

Has anyone on CL replaced the bushings and lived to regret it?

There seems to be a bit of confusion in this thread about using Supra LCA's. Are they compatible with SC's? How are they superior to Lexus OEM LCA's?

Is anyone using after market bushings that they love? Daizen's sound like they are a bit stiff. Ebay is crawling with polyurethane kits, but they may very well be garbage.

If I was going to go ahead and replace the LCA's, would you recommend getting them new from a dealer so that the ball joints are completely fresh? I realize it depends on driving habits, but what is the norm for replacing bushings / lower control arms (miles on car)? Is there a clear cut way to estimate wear on the ball joint?

I know this post is long, but I want to quote some of the contradicting info ebay vender's are giving about this repair. I know they want to push their product, but......

Lower control arm vendor

"IF YOUR CAR "PULLS" TO EITHER SIDE, OR YOU HAVE SUSPENSION NOISE, OR YOUR WHEEL ALIGNMENT IS OFF......THEN YOUR LOWER CONTROL ARM BUSHINGS AND/OR BALL JOINT IS PROBABLY WORN AWAY. HOWEVER DUE TO THE DESIGN, YOU MUST REPLACE THE COMPLETE ARM.......

TAKE MY ADVICE, WE SPECIALIZE IN LEXUS PARTS AND REPAIRS AND ITS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED BY LEXUS TO REPLACE THE COMPLETE ARM FOR MECHANICAL REASONS. THATS WHY THEY DON'T SELL THE BUSHINGS SEPARATELY NOR DO THEY RECOMMEND BUYING AFTERMARKET BUSHING KITS.

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURE AND OUR EXPERTISE, REPLACE THE COMPLETE ARM WHICH INCLUDES THE BALL JOINT. IT WILL SAVE YOU A LOT OF TIME, MONEY AND HEADACHE IN THE LONG RUN. TRUST ME......WE GET MANY CUSTOMERS WHO HAD THE BUSHINGS REPLACED, AND THEY STILL END UP BRINGING THEIR CARS TO US, TO INSTALL THE ARM BECAUSE THOSE AFTERMARKET KITS SQUEEK, WEAR AWAY AND DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. .... DONT LET THIS BE YOU! SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED ONCE! NOT TWO AND THREE TIMES!" - Pretty convincing, huh?

bushing vendor
"Urethane Front left & right LOWER & UPPER Control Arm Bushing Kit

No more changing the whole control arm!!! This new kit can be used to replace those control arm bushings that always wear out on your Lexus. Made from polyurethane so it'll last a lot longer than the factory rubber bushings. These bushings will also increase suspension performance making your car handle better around turns.

You can imagine how difficult it is to maintain proper front suspension caster and camber when the control arms are wobbling on mushy rubber bushings. Prothane's design provides superior handling through optimum compliance resistance. Furthermore, you can be assured that your alignment settings will be accurately maintained."

Sorry for the LONG post.
Old 12-09-15, 01:05 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Supra LCA's DO NOT FIT 97-00 SC's

I contacted Carson Toyota, great source. I was informed that the Supra LCA"s do not fit 1997-2000 SC's

Fortunately the Parts guy at Carson gave me a contact, Armstrong distributors offers polyurethane bushings...