Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replacing stock brake lines with SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-06, 01:49 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacing stock brake lines with SS

There is a previous write-up for replacing the lines on a 99 LS400. Will this apply to my GS430? I've read a lot of threads that start with people saying that they're going to DIY this job, but very few post DIY install threads. Any help is appreciated.

Seems like bleeding is the tough part.
Old 01-10-06, 11:00 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

curious to see what difference you feel. I've thought about this mod too.

good luck on the diy
Old 01-10-06, 11:15 AM
Lvangundy

The job is relatively easy, but remember to bleed and pump the brakes before driving off.

The brake pad contact point is where you'll feel a slight difference. Basically this is a pedal 'feel' mod more than anything.

The brake and rotor still have the same characteristics, but for the price I guess it's not a bad mod.

The Gstop lines are slightly longer than stock (1-2" maybe?) so on a lower car you may have too much cable and end up rubbing the lines on something. If possible, I'd recommend going with a custom brake line with a length close to stock.
Old 01-10-06, 01:12 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Chuck,
thanks for the best wishes. I'll need it.

I am going to be swapping the rotors for Rotora slotted/drilled so I'm hoping for a bit of an improvement. Probably going to wait and get new pads though too. If I'm going to break it down, I might as well change it all out.

Can anybody confirm that the DIY from this link is applicable?
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/brake/SSbrakelines.html
Old 01-10-06, 01:29 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STONER
I am going to be swapping the rotors for Rotora slotted/drilled so I'm hoping for a bit of an improvement. Probably going to wait and get new pads though too. If I'm going to break it down, I might as well change it all out.
After your done, let me know on a scale of 1 to 10 how much better your brakes are vs oem.
I'm considering the same thing, new front rotors, pads, ss lines. Cost to do about 700 vs
285 for std brake job by dealer
Old 01-10-06, 01:41 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
After your done, let me know on a scale of 1 to 10 how much better your brakes are vs oem.
I'm considering the same thing, new front rotors, pads, ss lines. Cost to do about 700 vs
285 for std brake job by dealer
why $700 Rheiy. that sounds high.
Old 01-10-06, 03:58 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
why $700 Rheiy. that sounds high.
Here's the break down:
Brembo Slotted rotors $200
Pads Axxis Deluxe $50
SS Lines $110
Shipping $30
Tax (yea right...)
Labor and brake fluid $330
Total $710 (give or take a couple of bucks)

A couple of bucks here and there all add up but the dealer labor is the killer. I'm going to check around at a few independent shops to see what they want. Problem is, I don't really know who's good but I can say who's bad.... I'm not giving any names but their initials are "Value Brakes"
Old 01-10-06, 04:25 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rheiy
Here's the break down:
Brembo Slotted rotors $200
Pads Axxis Deluxe $50
SS Lines $110
Shipping $30
Tax (yea right...)
Labor and brake fluid $330
Total $710 (give or take a couple of bucks)

A couple of bucks here and there all add up but the dealer labor is the killer. I'm going to check around at a few independent shops to see what they want. Problem is, I don't really know who's good but I can say who's bad.... I'm not giving any names but their initials are "Value Brakes"
oh, I didn't realize you had dealer hours included in there. that's not too bad, I like having the dealer do things because there's more accountability there. not to mention free loaners.
Old 01-10-06, 04:31 PM
rheiy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by chuckb
oh, I didn't realize you had dealer hours included in there. that's not too bad, I like having the dealer do things because there's more accountability there. not to mention free loaners.
Don't forget about the free cookies and soft drinks too
I agree the dealer has more accountability but one thing I wonder about is if for any chance my brakes start to squeek, will they tell me "sorry...that's what happens when you install non oem parts"
Old 01-19-06, 01:54 PM
StasGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stoner, did you ever get this done? How is the break feel with the new performance equipment? Please share your experience.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-06, 04:01 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

I bought the brake lines and they were missing some pieces (they're on their way). But I ordered some ATE brake fluid for the flush too, so it's looking like next weekend for the redo. I am counting on an improvement, but I think that a simple brake bleed will provide an improvement. My front rotors are warped right now so I'm expecting that to be fixed. I will let you know and if my friend and I do it, I will take pictures and do a how-to. I've learned enough from this place and you guys. I should give some back.
Old 01-19-06, 06:22 PM
joel5150
Lead Lap

This was the very first mod I performed on my GS3 and I could feel quite a difference after the breaking in period. The stainless steel lines do a great job of not flexing and it transfers to a little quicker response from the brakes. I also put on drilled and slotted rotors and Axis pads. All in all, a great investment in my opinion.
Old 01-27-06, 07:07 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I hated the Axxis pads, but I had the Ultimates. I had much better results with EBC Greenstuff with Rotora slotted rotors. Braking is awesome, and I haven't even gone to SS lines yet.
Old 01-28-06, 08:56 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

OK. So I did the lines today. Really not a big deal at all. I took some pictures and will put together a narrative and a DIY on this project. Stay tuned, if you're interested.
Old 01-29-06, 06:08 AM
WillieGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Brake Rotors OEM direct replacement

Here's the site that I found : http://www.racingbrake.com/

They will also develop a 2 piece rotors for better cooling shorty this year. They also have big brake uograde kit for other cars. Who knows they might develop affortable kit for Lexus depends how we respond for a needs GS owners.

I will try the direct OEM replacement rotors from them because, I can't upgrade to BBK due to wheel offset will hit the wheels. There is kit out there for my car but very expensive.

Quick Reply: Replacing stock brake lines with SS