Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen Bushing Install Notes...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-05, 01:19 AM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Daizen Bushing Install Notes...

I had my mechanic install the Daizen kit today along with new outer tie rods. Total time for him was 6 hours working alone. He said he lost at least an hour as both camber adjuster screws were stuck tight to the metal sleeves. Plenty of heat was required to remove them. Otherwise he said he used an air chisel to remove the stubborn old bushings. He said you could save a bit of time if you had a new bolt set for all the arms. That way you could cut off the old bolts to speed things along. He noted the kit was of high quality, and the added grease was a nice touch. He used a hone on an air drill to hone and smooth all bores before pressing in the new bushings. I didn't notice a huge difference in feel, as only one of the bushing was damaged prior to the installation of the Daizens. My car has 160,000 kilometres on it. The only bad thing about a Lexus is since it is so isolated from any vibrations, it's actually a bit tough to tell when things are loose, or sloppy or damaged. But with my mileage so high, and the price of the kit so nice, it was really an easy decision to put the kit in...
Old 10-13-05, 07:25 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats on install. so are you 100% shimmy free?

6hrs labor, wow.......I'll bet that wasn't cheap.
Old 10-13-05, 07:28 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

wow 6hrs labor

i did mine in under 1 hr.. the lower control arm bushings are even easier then the castor arm bushings
Old 10-13-05, 09:37 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
congrats on install. so are you 100% shimmy free?

6hrs labor, wow.......I'll bet that wasn't cheap.
most shop will easily charge you 500 bucks for the labor. it took todd quite some time to do my car
Old 10-13-05, 12:41 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
i did mine in under 1 hr.. the lower control arm bushings are even easier then the castor arm bushings
Wow. Really Ed? What part took an hour? Swapping the bushings? Everything? Just curious.
Old 10-13-05, 01:09 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

\

\ ]
Originally Posted by Neo
Wow. Really Ed? What part took an hour? Swapping the bushings? Everything? Just curious.

removing the bushings took 30min , removing and replacing castor arms another 30mins

doing the control arms bushing removal should be about the same changing lower control arms takes about 30mins each side
Old 10-14-05, 01:54 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

6 hours labour @ $50 an hour. Not bad. I was going to do it myself, but decided against it in case I needed a torch..which I don't have. 1 hour is very fast.....do all of your bolts unfasten themselves? I mean...just doing the upper control arms wouyld take an hour all by themselves! Alot of my bolts were absolutely welded on from rust. Perhaps if you car is more garage queen, or if you live in warmer, drier climates your results will be different. I drive my car all year, and in the winter too. Despite the age and mileage on my car, only one bushing was bad. Lexus quality is amazing..
Old 10-14-05, 02:17 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6hrs at $50 an hour is not too bad. I'm about to pay dealer $100 an hour for 3hrs to install coilovers.
Old 10-15-05, 04:06 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RRocket
6 hours labour @ $50 an hour. Not bad. I was going to do it myself, but decided against it in case I needed a torch..which I don't have. 1 hour is very fast.....do all of your bolts unfasten themselves? I mean...just doing the upper control arms wouyld take an hour all by themselves! Alot of my bolts were absolutely welded on from rust. Perhaps if you car is more garage queen, or if you live in warmer, drier climates your results will be different. I drive my car all year, and in the winter too. Despite the age and mileage on my car, only one bushing was bad. Lexus quality is amazing..

gargage queen my car is not.. this car is daily driven.. i do these things fast because i use a high power air compressor and a 230 ft lb impact gun to crack bolts open with ease...

i study the project and tackle it with a objective in mind..

i have extracted one of my lower ball joints in under 15 mins once when i busted it on the way to work

once you have the method down on extracting the bushing out of the arm , removing and reinstalling on the car is like butter
Old 11-11-05, 02:40 AM
WillieGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a mechanic installed my Daizen bushing kit, I have this alarm light on my dashboard that they can't reset. ABS light is on, VCS light is on and VCS OFF light is on. Did any of this happen on your installation?
Old 11-11-05, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieGS3
After a mechanic installed my Daizen bushing kit, I have this alarm light on my dashboard that they can't reset. ABS light is on, VCS light is on and VCS OFF light is on. Did any of this happen on your installation?
it should not happen. answered in your other thread the installer did some very bad mistake
Old 11-11-05, 12:02 PM
StasGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieGS3
Your ABS sensor is most likely damaged and the real bad news is that it is very expensive. Do search on some of the suspension installs; some people had similar problems after a suspension swap.
Old 11-11-05, 01:12 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I would have to guess ABS sensor also... Especially when changing coilovers etc.... not to pull on the abs sensors.....and when doing brakes.... Unfortunately the ABS sensor is right in the general area where we need to work..... be careful.....

Answering a post about labor on coilovers i paid about 200.00 for less than two hrs to install my Teins...I don't think thats to bad

Tony