Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

First impressions with Daizen sways

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-05, 05:55 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First impressions with Daizen sways

Quick feedback on the Daizen sways that I've been running for a couple of weeks. My GS 400 has Apex'i World Sport coilovers with stock 16" wheels. Contrary to some other threads I've read, there is a difference in ride smoothness with the sways installed. It is not harsh at all, but it did make the ride slightly firmer. I noticed it immediately after the installation but have already forgotten how the old ride felt.

There is definitely less body lean during cornering, but my car does not "corner on rails" like some others have experienced. I have the rear sway set in the middle setting. The Daizen sways have really brought out the weakest link in my setup - my all season tires. I'm much more comfortable tossing the GS around corners but the tires are not able to keep up. There is still more support needed in the rear end, which I'll address with Tom's braces next year, and hopefully a nice set of staggered wheels are in my future.

These sways are worth their price, especially when you compare performance vs. dollar. In stock form, the GS4 does not have a suspension that matches its engine output. My current setup, which costs about $1500, is much much better and is still smooth. I wish Lexus had just done this from the beginning - it would've cost them half of what I paid. Ok, enough complaining. For anyone considering getting these, get off the fence and do it!
Old 10-11-05, 09:39 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Glad to here they are working for you... I've heard and read nothing but good things about this setup... Hope fully in the near future I'll have these and can compare ride qualities

Tony
Old 10-11-05, 10:01 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerLex
Quick feedback on the Daizen sways that I've been running for a couple of weeks. My GS 400 has Apex'i World Sport coilovers with stock 16" wheels. Contrary to some other threads I've read, there is a difference in ride smoothness with the sways installed. It is not harsh at all, but it did make the ride slightly firmer. I noticed it immediately after the installation but have already forgotten how the old ride felt.

There is definitely less body lean during cornering, but my car does not "corner on rails" like some others have experienced. I have the rear sway set in the middle setting. The Daizen sways have really brought out the weakest link in my setup - my all season tires. I'm much more comfortable tossing the GS around corners but the tires are not able to keep up. There is still more support needed in the rear end, which I'll address with Tom's braces next year, and hopefully a nice set of staggered wheels are in my future.

These sways are worth their price, especially when you compare performance vs. dollar. In stock form, the GS4 does not have a suspension that matches its engine output. My current setup, which costs about $1500, is much much better and is still smooth. I wish Lexus had just done this from the beginning - it would've cost them half of what I paid. Ok, enough complaining. For anyone considering getting these, get off the fence and do it!

congrats on your purchase and install

just to add something here if i may

you have the world sport coils , great setup but a soft setup, you have 16in wheels .. not made for perf handling by a long shot..

sways have a job to do , but one cannot expect miracles out of them either.. a tuned susp works in harmony , together.. all pieces in the puzzle have to work in concert or you will be off balance..

riding on 16in is great for comfort but terrible for handling, your sidewalls of your tires will roll over and distort your susp badly..if the coils are not up to the task of damping the road surface fast enough , again your susp will not respond..

change wheels to min 18in , add the toms 6 piece links and toms front and rear lower brace and tell me how big your smile will grow when you are sitting on the bumper of a m3 on the freeway
Old 10-11-05, 10:54 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Lexforlife: Yup, I fully agree with what you're saying about the different suspension components working together. The WS coils do have a softer damping rate in the rear compared to the front. My GS is still a work in progress but I've got plans to do the items you've mentioned. No doubt it will transform the car to another level. Can't wait!
Old 10-11-05, 12:18 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Nice review RacerLex but you really need bigger rims. The huge sidewalls on the 16s squash like fresh donuts.
Old 10-11-05, 01:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you have softer settings for the coilover in the back already, maybe you can put it in the most aggressive sway settings in the back to kinda "stiffen" it up
Old 10-13-05, 06:10 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Bit: Stop teasing me about my stock rims . I'm gonna upgrade one day, but I don't want to drop all that cash until I finish the rest of the suspension. It's really hard not to just upgrade everything at once, but I want to enjoy each upgrade so I don't get bored.

Rominl: I remember reading a post by TM Engineering not to set the sways to oversteer unless you have a staggered wheel setup.
Old 10-13-05, 11:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerLex
Bit: Stop teasing me about my stock rims . I'm gonna upgrade one day, but I don't want to drop all that cash until I finish the rest of the suspension. It's really hard not to just upgrade everything at once, but I want to enjoy each upgrade so I don't get bored.

Rominl: I remember reading a post by TM Engineering not to set the sways to oversteer unless you have a staggered wheel setup.
yeah that's true, but you can always adjust it if you can handle what's there

it's your call though
Old 10-15-05, 05:36 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont worry man.. hahaha i did everything before i got my rims.. LOL!!! everyone was buggin me too about stocks but it was all worth it..