Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-04, 03:44 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New brake rotors

I'm thinking of getting a set of drilled only brake rotors. I heard that the slotted ones eat up your pads like crazy. Is this correct? Also, is the SR brand a good one?
Old 12-28-04, 04:17 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the myth about slotted rotors eating pads is just a myth .. crossdrilled are best for autocrossing where extreme heat is generated but not best used in street applications and are very prone to cracking and more prone to warpage

slotted are best for for street applications to wipe the pads clean in every sweep and for degassing so you will always have a hard bite with the pads

i have used powerslots before and will use them again they cracked and warped within 6 months of use and the cad plating was garbage

i have since found the real brembo sport rotors , did some research and found thses sport rotors are made from the same in house foundary used in the 6 and pot applications.. they are abit pricy but imo man are they worth it .. slotting is done by brembo the metal used is better then oem from the research i have done

just remember , you get what you pay for
Old 12-28-04, 04:51 PM
asci01
Pole Position

So you're saying get slotted-only rotors for everyday driving situations?
Old 12-28-04, 05:27 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asci01
So you're saying get slotted-only rotors for everyday driving situations?

bingo

look on the tirerack under brake rotors .. they sell the real brembo but notice on the crossdrill brembo sports , read the disclaimer about warpage and damage , you will notice no diclaimer for their brembo sport slotted version
Old 12-28-04, 05:38 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

heres a pic of my brembo sport in crossdrilled for a supra tt fit

notice the slots are going opposite of the spin pattern .. that was intentional on the part of brembo. they wanted to sweep the outer most part of pad first seeing heat generated is more towards the center so you are in effect sweeping outward working in conjuction with the internal cooling vanes which makes for a cooler running rotor surface

Old 12-28-04, 05:44 PM
SC400-V8
Racer

Yes, I wanted to ask about rotors. I'm going to need new rotors and pads in about a year or less, I will use toyota OEM pads, no question, but the cost for OEM rotors is almost 600. Now that is expensive, but I found tirerack has basic brembo non-drilled, non-slot rotors for much cheaper, like 300 a set. I have had one person say I may experience squeeling with the brembos, because the toyota OEMs are made of a softer metal, and they might also be smoother.

Has anyone used basic brembos and would consider them to be smooth and quiet, just like OEMs?
Old 12-28-04, 06:18 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default rotors

Hey Lexforlife are these any good.

Rotora's slotted performance rotors are double disc ground and milled balance to ensure all OE specifications and provide maximum stopping power.
Features:

Dissipate heat away from the rotors which reduces warping
"E-coated" (black) to prevent corrosion and increase life
Mill balanced (within 150 g/cm) to prevent vibration

3dog
Old 12-29-04, 04:11 AM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default rotors

Originally Posted by lexforlife
bingo

look on the tirerack under brake rotors .. they sell the real brembo but notice on the crossdrill brembo sports , read the disclaimer about warpage and damage , you will notice no diclaimer for their brembo sport slotted version

REAL BREMBO SPORT 13.25 in slotted rotors front //Powerslot slotted rears/

Lexforlife, I see you use the powerslot on the rears. don't they make the SPORT SLOTTED for the rear also? Is there some other reason you have SPORT in frony and POWERSLOT in rear?

3dog
Old 12-29-04, 05:36 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3dog
REAL BREMBO SPORT 13.25 in slotted rotors front //Powerslot slotted rears/

Lexforlife, I see you use the powerslot on the rears. don't they make the SPORT SLOTTED for the rear also? Is there some other reason you have SPORT in frony and POWERSLOT in rear?

3dog
the reason is i buy things ususally in pairs so everything matches.. i bought the rears to match the fronts when i did have powerslots garbage in the front .. i am going to change out the rears to match the fronts this coming month , it just hasnt bothered me enough yet to make the order and seeing that its in the rear no real chance of warpage or cracking
Old 12-29-04, 07:34 AM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

DetMich1 and I .. had a convo over PM he has crossed drill rotors for about 5months now and he tells me there is nothing wrong with his rotors... but he told me the most noticable difference was the installation of SS brake lines.
Old 12-29-04, 09:05 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

ANy opinion on the basic brembo rotors?
Old 12-29-04, 06:29 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Default rear rotors

Originally Posted by lexforlife
the reason is i buy things ususally in pairs so everything matches.. i bought the rears to match the fronts when i did have powerslots garbage in the front .. i am going to change out the rears to match the fronts this coming month , it just hasnt bothered me enough yet to make the order and seeing that its in the rear no real chance of warpage or cracking

Lexforlife, according to the web page for tirerack the Sport Slotted only come for the fronts.

Do you know where to get them for the rear?
thanks
3dog