Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

comfortable drop

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-04, 09:02 PM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default comfortable drop

what would be the best drop for a comfortable ride i was plannin on putting 19inch wheels staggered setup wat drop would make this look good without putting it to low. also i have looked in to tien cs coilovers but wanting to see if there is something better. i dont want it to be to low that i would have to use camber kits. is there anyone who can help me
Old 08-25-04, 01:47 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: comfortable drop

Originally posted by Gs430Boi
what would be the best drop for a comfortable ride i was plannin on putting 19inch wheels staggered setup wat drop would make this look good without putting it to low. also i have looked in to tien cs coilovers but wanting to see if there is something better. i dont want it to be to low that i would have to use camber kits. is there anyone who can help me
if you wanna drop it without going out of spec, you will be disappointed coz 'you cant' drop too much before alignment is off. personally as usually i suggest coilovers, coz' that allows you to put the car as high or as low as you want. with the tein CS, you can even have the car at stock height or down to no finger

what's the best height that's really up to you. and "ooked in to tien cs coilovers but wanting to see if there is something better" can you define what's better? imho if you think about best bang for the bucks, i don't see anything else beating the tein cs for what it can do
Old 08-25-04, 07:48 AM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

better as in BMW i been in a bMW and some of them use bilstien shock and it is comforable not to bumpy not to but soft. i love the BMW hieght anyway i can use that hieght and still go over speed humps. i think the gap is about 2 fingers
Old 08-25-04, 07:54 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have eibach pro-kit and bilstein sport shocks, and can say it is better than stock...not too floaty, and not too stiff....

I can only speak from prior-experience, and coilovers suck if you have bumpy roads. I had JIC's best in my maxima slammed, and I DREADED and HATED the ride, everything I got in.

made me feel like my $30k car became a ghetto hooptie...

its your call, but also FYI:

Romini told u u can adjust coilovers, fine....what he didn't tell u was everything u raise and lower, u gotta get a new alighment...thats not only a PITA, but also costly

my $.02
Old 08-25-04, 08:06 AM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

how low does it go like how many fingers and also can you drive over speed bumps with out scratches?
thanks for your info
Old 08-25-04, 08:14 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how low does it go like how many fingers and also can you drive over speed bumps with out scratches?
thanks for your info
im like 2-3 fingers all around

no scrapes anywhere on stock 17's
Old 08-25-04, 09:56 AM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

how many fingers do you think with 19 inch wheels
thanks
Old 08-25-04, 10:21 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks
Man, we have got to stop using this unscientific finger measurement. LOL.

Anyway, with 19s, it should still be the same gap. Remember, you are not chaing the outside diameter of the wheel. Now, if you run the "fat" setup, then you will have almost an inch extra to deal with. This is the same issue for most guys running 20s. But I digress. Basically, if NT2SHBBY has 2-3 fingers with his OEM 17s, you'll have the same with your 19s. The look will be different since you will have more metal and less rubber.

As for coilovers riding bad, it depends on which system you go with. Going with the "best" does not ensure a nice ride. Different coilovers are tuned for different purposes. Riding on Tein CS, Flex, HA, RA, ... all gives a different ride and handling experience.

In terms of BMWs, they are made for a different driving experience than Lexus cars. You can get a lot of the same feel by tuning the car's suspension (braces, bars, ...) but there is always a ride quality compromise as you stiffen the car for a more controlled handling. Everyone's definition of comfort is different so it is hard to say what you think is comfortable. Your best bet is to try to hook up with some locals to see if you can get a ride in their cars to see what you like.
Old 08-25-04, 01:23 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks
gentlemen , if i may , chime in here

with 19 in wheels what neo stated is correct almost to the the tee.. the problem is not the overall diameter but now you shrinking sidewall and increasing wheel diameter so the illusion is a shorter tire hence more fender gap..

i just had the problem with my 19in setup and ltuned springs/bilstein sport shocks.. the gap esp in the rear would go from 3 to 3.5 finger gap depend on how much gas in the tank (really made me sick to look at) and the front was abot 2.5 finger and having a subtle body kit on further elongated the body lines so it made the gap look even worse... handling wise with tha setup would blow the doors off any 540 or 3 ser (of couse making sure at the very least you have sways)

i recently had to have my car reinspected by my insurance co for the aftermarket add ons to have them covered on a sep rider (thanks al for the advice) and when the guy was inspecting it he asks me is the car lowered for he could not really tell , i said to myself , thats it time to do the right thing and after lots of conversation with dave and lee (thanks guys) got a set of bilstein pss coilovers.. now i have 1.5 finger in front and barely 2 in the back ( and they havent even settled yet) and the look is 10 times better. the wheels actually now look like 19in . as far a what NT2SHBBY was saying about ride quality i guess its subjective to ones butt o meter..i have found the pss coilovers i went to firmer then the other setup but not as stiff in other words the ride overall is better balanced better controlled and end result just plain comfortable.. the diff i found out after a 30 min talk with one of the bilstein engineers is the design of the damper and usage of true progressive rated springs vs linear rated..

my advice to you is do some more homework before deciding. although i have gone through at least 3 diff setups on my car , unless you do the work yourself like i do , it can be costly with the labor and repurchasing of new components..as far as camber issues , it is par for the course , part of modding my camber is within .6 or so of spec and by upping tire pressure to around 40-41 lbs it tends to keep yourself for overly riding on the inner edges

best of luck to ya
Old 08-25-04, 06:12 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

do tien cs use progressive springs in their coil over?
Old 08-25-04, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by ILOVEGIRLS
do tien cs use progressive springs in their coil over?
somehow i recall the answer as yes, but i forgot where i read that