Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

how can I get my factory fresh smooth ride again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-04, 01:25 PM
Richie3000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool how can I get my factory fresh smooth ride again?

I've got about 90k on my 98 GS300 and am looking to replace my shocks and/or springs to return my car to it's original smooth ride like when it was new. Lexus told me they could replace just the shocks for almost $700 without installation. Surely there must be better options out there. Any suggestions? I'm not really looking to lower the car, or get real aggressive with the handling, I just want that bump free smooth ride back. Thanks for the suggestions...
Old 08-04-04, 03:19 PM
Freshtoe
Rookie

Default factory fresh? or better

don't go to lexus to replace that; they love your money more than your ride.
instead, order the l-tuned struts and springs which cost about 220 and 250 repectively. Then get them installed at a shop that knows how to do suspension work. That shouldn't be more than 200 if they know what they are doing. At that point, you'll have your car fully done for the same price lexus was going to charge for parts.

and as for factory fresh, this is a little tighter than that, but nothing you'll worry too much about. its similar to
a german car in terms of ride.

Trust me, you'll love it.

oh yeah, get the l-tuned stuff from steve at Carson toyota. he knows his stuff...

website is: www.l-tunedparts.com

enjoy
Old 08-04-04, 06:10 PM
Richie3000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the input. What about another brand of shocks and springs, or mixing and matching? Has anyone any info about what combos of shocks/springs would provide a comfortable ride. My main goal is ride comfort, handling is my second priority.
Old 08-05-04, 02:20 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

I have l tuned shocks with eibach pro springs. Very stock like with great control.
You won't be disappointed. Actually, eibach pro springs are suppose to be L tuned springs I think. So go with l tuned setup and you will be fine. I have 18's with springs and shocks and I love my ride, very comfortable and smooth.
Old 08-05-04, 10:36 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

If your looking to just get that smooth ride back, why not post a WTB in the clublexus classifieds for a slightly used set of OEM spring and shocks ? I know there are lots of members who lowered there cars with very little mileage on there oem spring and shocks. You should be able to buy them for a very good price and finding a mechanic to install shouldn't be hard.
Old 08-05-04, 10:57 PM
Freshtoe
Rookie

Default OEM springs and struts

I am about to install some L-tuned struts and H&R springs or L-Tuned Spring.

If you want my OEM set-up, I might end up selling them...

let me know if you have interest, and then I'll set them aside for you.

they have 65K on them.
Old 08-10-04, 04:22 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: how can I get my factory fresh smooth ride again?

Originally posted by Richie3000
I've got about 90k on my 98 GS300 and am looking to replace my shocks and/or springs to return my car to it's original smooth ride like when it was new. Lexus told me they could replace just the shocks for almost $700 without installation. Surely there must be better options out there. Any suggestions? I'm not really looking to lower the car, or get real aggressive with the handling, I just want that bump free smooth ride back. Thanks for the suggestions...
YOur problem might be in the control arm and steering rack mounting bushings. The rubber ones which Lexus uses can deteriorate after 6 years and 90K mi. They are responsible for dampening out harshness/noise/vibration from the road. Lexus replacement can be pricey as you have to buy the whole control arm assembly, no provision for replacing only the worn bushings. An engineer from Australia has developed aftermarket replacements that mimic OEM specss but I am not sure if he has them for the GS cars. SC for sure and possibly LS. You can contact him through his website and check though:
http://www.vftbushes.com
As these cars age I'm sure there will be a growing demand for this replacement part.
Old 08-11-04, 06:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Richie3000 - I have my stock springs/shocks in the garage here in Atlanta. I put 12K on them. I can give you a really good deal if you're interested. I'll PM you.
Old 08-12-04, 06:40 AM
gewe21
Lead Lap

my bro has esplir springs + l-tuned shocks (part of "lexus sportdesign" kit) combo that is slightly lower than stock at a perfectly stock "lexus sportdesign" ride quality. Nothing harsh especially if you're wearing stock 16" / 17" tires, just a tad sportier. I love the ride. Just suggesting an alternative.