Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Very touchy brakes after Supra upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-04, 09:08 AM
PM Supra
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very touchy brakes after Supra upgrade

Anyone experience a very touchy brakes after a front and rear Supra brake upgrade. I have the same problem with my SC400 with just the front replacement. On my SC300 I decided to replace both thinking it would cure the problem. It was just as bad. I also have a Supra and the brakes feel normal. I hope I do not have to replace the master cylinder.
Old 07-26-04, 09:14 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean by touchy? Sensitive?

When you install new 4 pot brakes they are like that. Just give it time to break in.
Old 07-26-04, 09:17 AM
PM Supra
Driver

Very sensitive. I do notice that the rear rotors are not very shiny, which would indicate not much pressure is applied to the rear brakes.
Old 07-26-04, 09:40 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Mine were super touchy on my old car, and I had stainless lines which I think added to the problem.

-Ethan
Old 07-27-04, 03:26 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dammit! I just send out money for Supra calipers!
What a time to learn that pedal feel sucks on those conversions.... Anybody else with similar expirience after the mod?

Last edited by EUROJulian; 07-27-04 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-28-04, 12:51 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EURO,
be glad that you've got them on order. The Supra TT front brake conversion is by far the best mod dollar for dollar on my SC. I also have the SS lines and they also contribute to the extra touchy-ness, as EBanks stated.
Like One Hot said, after the break in period, it should feel a lot better. Trust us EURO, you'll love these brakes. They STOP!! Period.
Old 07-28-04, 08:00 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

I love the supra tt brakes i have. IMO i don't think they are touchy at all. The brakes on my g35 on the other hand are a bit too sensitive. When I first got the car it was either stop or go, nothing in between.. especially during parking.
Old 07-28-04, 08:52 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Dammit! I just send out money for Supra calipers!
What a time to learn that pedal feel sucks on those conversions.... Anybody else with similar expirience after the mod?

mine are fine, much better than stock

with SS lines
Old 07-29-04, 02:04 PM
JKAG
Driver

What pads? Pads are critical!

EBC Green, not grabby

Carbotech Panther+, grabby on the street

I agree with SC400dude, a great mod, expecially for the track. And, with the correct pads, very streetable.

Jon
Old 04-18-05, 01:56 PM
MoogieBoogie
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the extra sensitive brakes cause the brake rotors to warp prematurely?

I've heard that you need to replace the master brake cylinder with one from a Supra.
-Brian.
Old 04-18-05, 10:16 PM
RjRacing
Driver

Everyone that drives my car says that my brakes are very touchy as is, and mine are still stock with the exception of Axxis pads.
Old 04-19-05, 07:52 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Standard pads, standard rotors and standard lines.

Feels great. For the daily street grind any of the above upgraded might be overkill.

I love my setup and wouldn't change a thing.
Old 04-19-05, 10:03 PM
TRDSupraSE
Intermediate

I thought the same thing after I felt the TT brakes on the SC. It was super sensitive! I'm hoping there's a way to fix this. I must say though, after driving it a while, you kinda get used to it.

Also have TT brakes front and rear
Old 04-20-05, 04:33 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I had that problem with another car, it took awhile for everything to wear in before I could even modulate the brakes at all. It took at least a week of driving to get better.
I need to get my TT calipers on my car, my old stock rotors are all fried from heavy braking, lack of metal.
What's the best deal on TT rotors these days?
Old 04-24-05, 09:16 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default Drivers side TT Brake locking

I recently changed out my SC300 to TT Brakes w/ SS lines. What is normal break-in miles for them in regular driving?

I resurfaced the front rotors and used the existing pads that came with my used TT calipers because they had a lot of meat. I rebuilt the passenger side caliper because of an "O" ring leak. I left the drivers side alone. The drivers side is bitting harder than the passenger side, causing the ABS to pulse on hard braking on that wheel only. Does anyone know what might be going on to cause that and what I can do about it?

Oh, yeah, about deals on TT rotors, I purchased a set of new rears for $78 pair plus $25 shipping, these are not drilled or slotted, though it is available, I think its a waste. The fronts were maybe $90 (that's $45 each!!) plus shipping. Ordered it from a company out of Canada, email them at: etop@rogers.com . I really wish I had done this in the first place because the used one for sale (I bought a total of six off Supra Forums) where all at or very close to the end of there useful life. I would only buy from a seller who can give you an accurately measurement of the thickness of the rotor; (the discard measurement is 28mm on fronts, 15mm on rear). The new ones start at 29mm and 16mm to begin with.

Last edited by SCoupe; 03-29-06 at 10:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Very touchy brakes after Supra upgrade