Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brakes not responsive

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-04, 10:37 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes not responsive

How does all your GS4 brakes pedal feel? perhaps I'm not used to driving my GS4 yet but it is kind of annoying. My gas pedal is very responsive, just a quick tap and the car would move, however when braking I would have to depress about 1" (at least) before I can sense any kind of braking kicking in. Is there a way to adjust this? I know it's not bad pads or rotors, the car would stop as it should once I get to the point, not really mushy like bad master cylinder, What else might I need to look at?

on a side notes my brake laps doesn't come on till this point either.
Old 07-12-04, 10:51 AM
gserep1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PEDAL FEEL

The pedal is not firm like a "non-abs" systems' pedal would feel. My GS4's pedal is softer than I would like, BUT the cars stops as it should.

The ABS system does a "check" when the car is first started. The pedal is firm, and as you drive, it softens up in my experience. There is a little pump that runs as needed to maintain accumulator pressure as you drive.

Of interesting note: I had to make a panic stop at a 4 way intersection today. I got to the intersection first, and was driving off after my stop. The other driver did not stop at all, ran through the stop sign, and I had to panic brake going 5 to 10 mph. The brake pedal went nearly to the floor, but the car stopped. The ABS controls could be heard clicking and modulating wheel speed and brake pedal travel. During a slow speed panic stop, the pedal will go close to the floor, but that is normal.

Bottom line ie: if the car is stopping nomally, it is probably alright. I have no idea what the condition of your components (brake pads, rotor thickness, fluid condition / leakage, and ABS system operation.

Brakes are your life, so I would suggest that if there is any question about your safety, a trip ro the dealer should be considered an option.

Last edited by gserep1; 07-12-04 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07-12-04, 11:09 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Dannie,

It's a pretty common problem that has been well discussed here on CL. The GS brakes are world-class and stop you fast, but they don't have a very good 'pedal feel'. They're kind of mushy and when mine were stock I'd come to a stoplight and think I'd slow down when I pushed but as I realized I was about to slam into the minivan in front of me I'd have to mash down on them to stop. I'd always stop, but the feel just wasn't linear and gave me no confidence.

Step 1 what I did was install better pads and stainless steel brake lines. That helped some - not perfect but better.

Please try the search tool for 'stainless brake' on this forum and you'll find a lot of discussion about this issue and what members experiences are.
Old 07-12-04, 11:12 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

cool, that was a relieve, just wanted to makek sure I didn't have a malfunction brake or anything. After a take care of all these minor problen, (check engine lights, VSC off light and I assume a bad ignition coil somewhere) I plan on slapping on some cross drilled/slotted rotors and better pads anyways,
Old 07-12-04, 11:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Do the stainless lines at the same time, you'll save yourself some labor. Goodrich makes some good ones.
Old 07-12-04, 11:15 AM
dannieboiz
Pole Position

yah I found some SS lines for like 100 bucks on ebay.
Old 07-12-04, 12:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yes, the ss line will give you some very solid feel right the way
Old 07-12-04, 01:21 PM
BatKing
Rookie

also do a brake fluid flush. that will help too. I recently just had my 60K service and the brake fluid was flushed. the brake does feel a lot firmer. I got SS brake line but stock brake pad and rotor. I was using TRD brake pads but that cause my rotors needed to be re-surfaced.
Old 07-13-04, 07:14 AM
Fisher503
Lead Lap

Or just put In AP RACING brakes did on mine Oh My God the first time you floor the brakes from like 80mph Holy ***** Better have you seat belt on. And no mushy feeling or thinking your not gonna stop.