Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Those w/ Apexi WS Coilovers: settings

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-04, 11:04 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Those w/ Apexi WS Coilovers: Their ON :UPDATE

Tried a search but no one seems to go into detail on installation and settings. I'm probably going to have a friend at a shop help me out on these but I'd like to minimize much wasted time by getting these coils close to the right height adjustment in the first few shots.

How many millimeters or how many threads from the bottom did you guys have the spindle sit at?

My Goal is to have these sitting approx 1 finger gap on 19" wheels.My fingers aren't too fat

Last edited by UptownGS; 06-25-04 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 12:19 PM
koreanpers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im gonna get mine installed soon too any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-24-04, 12:37 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

damn man I just found a shop that will do the coilovers for $90.....hahahaha took me some asian bargaining to get him down but i was like I wasn't even going to go w/ them but at this price I think its worth it.... he told me he has never installed Coilovers for the GS but has done a few springs/shocks installs. At $90 I can fine tune it myself.... lol

also Robotek in Garden Grove wanted $120 but they've never even worked on a Lexus..... only Honda's and Acuras..... but then again its just coils... can't be too much different. I was amazed at the price gap.... although I believe in you get what you pay for.... but this is just wayyy too cheap... .plus how can you really ***** up that bad w/ Coilovers?
Old 06-25-04, 12:21 AM
zenki300
Driver

I'll chime in as much as I can since I didn't install the coilovers entirely myself. Unlike other coilovers (Tein, HKS, etc.), make sure you have those spring compressors ready because the Apexi's require you to REUSE your stock rubber uppermounts as they are not an entirely self-contained unit like the others which have built-in proprietary aluminum or rubber uppermounts. Installation will be just like installing springs and shocks because of the lack of a built-in uppermount, which means they won't be as easy as sliding them into place like the Teins because you have to use spring compressors to stuff these coilovers into place.

As for the settings of the threads themselves, I have mine set with about 4in. of thread still left on the bottom of the front shock towers and about 1.5in. of threads left for the rear threaded shocks. That should give you that desired 1 finger gap in the front and 1.5 finger gap in the back. I'm sorry my measurements are not completely specific, but that should give you a rough idea of where to start. Keep in mind that with those settings, with you sitting in the car, that 1finger gap will disappear into a nice tuck. By the way, that will get you about a 2.5in. drop in the front and a 2in. drop in the back if you measure from the top of the wheel well to the rim's centercap. If you think about it, with 4in. of thread still left on the front shocks for a 1finger gap... it's up to you as to how low you want to go, just remember the ride will remain as soft as stock if not a tad bit stiffer. I hope this helps. I installed mine last november and yes, my car is dirty most of the time... sorry about that.

Old 06-25-04, 08:08 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the help..... I dropped off my car to the AutoShop in Westminster today..... the place looks dead and the tech looks kinda ghetto... either way I had to leave it there b/c I had a lunch date w/ a friend I had to keep. Well I was gone for not maybe 45 minutes and the owner of the shop calls me to ask me how low I wanted it..... I told him 1 finger up top and whatever looks good in the back.

He tells me to come back in 2 hrs.... Well I come back and omg he actually finished. Came out to inspect and I'm pretty amazed that they evened out the car and tweeked it for me. I was expecting them to just throw the coils on it and then I would just tweek it myself when I get home. I mean.... i only payed $90 for the install..... I looked under and everything looks CLEAN!!! like he actually WIPED it down to make it look eye pleasing .... doesn't look like they were banging away at it or any broken wires... so I feel everything is Good....

well I cruise along home and i dont want to drive too aggressively b/c I dont know what i'm expecting... but i Can't help but feel that the ride really feels GREAT!!! ...i pull in to grab some gas.... and there is a dip... WOW its surprisingly got more clearance then my old IS lowered. No scrape.... not bad at all.....

the review... well exactly what everyone else that has reviewed them... these things feel almost stock but a noticeable tighter feel, but not so tight enough to take corners confidently... I still feel body roll... i suspect some underbraces would fix this....but then I'm not hardly an aggressive driver so this is cool for me. There's just not enough power for me to work much on it's suspension. Overall I am very happy w/ the purchase and the fact that I can drop it way more whenever I want to is fantastic.

I tipped the guy at the shop $20 and he just told me to bring in some customers.... so I told him I would definitely pass the word.

btw I just wanted to Thank everyone on this board... .once again you guys were right and I was wrong.... After dropping the car I LOVE the tuck.... the car looks 10x's better!!! I even noticed a handful of cars turning their heads as I passed on by!!! hahahahah I lOVE it.... my girl saw it and she was like ....and now she's all tellin me that she would consider modeling for it now.... muahahahahaha before she wouldn't even consider it.... but yea... i'll post it when I get a chance to take *** .....gotta go make her workout first!!!
Old 06-26-04, 09:06 AM
kola
Driver

now pop in a trd blue sway bar and your corner handling will be much better but the car will feel firmer at high speed and rough road. call me if you know what i mean.
Old 07-01-04, 10:58 PM
HighOctane
Rookie

Glad u like them!