Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein Flex and EDFC installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-04, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts
Thumbs up Tein Flex and EDFC installed

Got my car back today after getting Tein Flex, EDFC, and the Apexi SAFC-II installed.

First some info others might find useful. I *weighed* the Tein Flex in the box before I put them on. 61lbs.

Today I weighed the L-Tuned springs/shocks in the same box after I got the car back. 81lbs.

Here's how the car looks right after the install:

I like the look!

I haven't played with the EDFC yet - it's at 8/8 (middle setting). The ride was great, not harsh, although slightly more 'feedback noise' on hitting an abrupt road transition. Not a problem though. I didn't push it on the way home, I was just listening for creaks, squeaks, clicks, bumps, rubs(!), etc., but none of those occured.
Old 02-14-04, 01:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I had the EDFC unit mounted right under the ignition key hole - it fit nice in that space and I can easily get to it while driving. I'm pleased. In this pic you can also see the SAFC-II I worked my *** off getting into the ashtray. The ashtray still closes by the way. I've hard wired my radar detector to the power from the lighter that used to be in the ashtray too, which I'm pleased with.

Old 02-14-04, 03:35 PM
3dog
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up mods

congrats
i know you've been thinking about coilovers for a while. i am excited that you took the plunge. i'm anxious to hear your thoughts on the cornering capabilities vs springs and shocks. i think you're gonna notice a hugh increase in stability at speed.

your other mod the SAFC-ll in combo with your K&N intake is very intriguing. i would imagine there will be a horsepower gain with this mod. are you giving any thought to a before and after dyno.

thanks for the update and go out and enjoy your new toys

3dog

ps thanks for listing those weights.

Last edited by 3dog; 02-14-04 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-14-04, 03:40 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats Paul!

I know you're one proud papa!
Old 02-14-04, 03:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks 3dog. I hope to get the car dyno tuned on Monday afternoon and I expect they'll do a baseline before tuning it.

I just took the car for a spin to get take-out for dinner, and I played with the damper settings on the EDFC. I programmed all 3 presents, 12/12, 8/8, and 0/0. I drove the car in all settings and could definitely detect the difference.

In 8/8 I'd say it's a little bit stiffer than the L-Tuned shocks and has less body roll. At 12/12 it's more comfortable still, but still very capable. At 0/0 it's definitely stiffer and you feel every road imperfection. So right now I'm ecstatic that it all works, and works easily. I love having a range of suspension settings at the push of buttons inside the car. Having 3 preset buttons is nice, basically comfy, average, and as hard as possible.

And my car is sitting lower than I expected it would right now, and so far, I like it!!!
Old 02-14-04, 03:56 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lookin good bit!!! i'm totally jealous now!
Old 02-14-04, 04:42 PM
FutureGS400
Lexus Test Driver

I'm very interested in hearing how the S-AFC works out. I am thinking about doing the same thing with my K&N FIPK. Nice job on the installation!
Old 02-14-04, 05:14 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice job Bit.

I have my EDFC setup similar to you. The longer I have it, the more I think that it really should be an interactive tool to adjust to situational driving. I'm not saying you need to change it every couple of minutes but there should be a normal, extreme, and cruising setting like how you have it.
Old 02-14-04, 08:36 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Paul.

We'll talk later.
Old 02-14-04, 08:57 PM
stckyfngz
Lead Lap

looks good
Old 02-14-04, 10:01 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Your "fat" setup looks perfect at that height.
Old 02-14-04, 10:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by pvmike1

Your "fat" setup looks perfect at that height.
Thanks. I just realized I've got to take off the L-Tuned badges... the only thing L-Tuned I have left is the steering ECU.
Old 02-14-04, 11:28 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Congrats Paul!!!!

This suspense is killing me, however write-ups like this alleviate the suspense for me somewhat! The drop on your car is just perfect now (at least from the high angle you took the pic ! ). Take another pic with the camera at the same height as the top of wheels and post that up please. I can't wait to see what it's like. What did you tell your mechanic to set the height to?

Thanks also for letting us know the weight difference between the L-tuned and the Tein Flex!

Please measure the height of the gap between the fender and the top of the tires front and back and let us know what it is. Others on here like TTurbopimp, Rominl have theirs at 1 finger gap all around. Right now my L-tuned drop has the front at 2 fingers (which bugs the hell out of me) and the back at a perfect 1 finger gap. I can't wait to fix this in April. Needless to say, I can't wait to feel how much better it handles!!!!

One last question - have you had the car aligned since the install? Any problems with getting it to align properly?

I will still keep my L-tuned badges as I have the L-tuned side skirts, grille, steering ecu and mufflers!

Last edited by Hameed; 02-14-04 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-15-04, 01:15 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
Right now my L-tuned drop has the front at 2 fingers (which bugs the hell out of me) and the back at a perfect 1 finger gap. I can't wait to fix this in April.
Well, you can fix this with the Flex. BUT, be prepared to scrape the front (lip and front of sideskirt) a little more.
Old 02-15-04, 01:27 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
Well, you can fix this with the Flex. BUT, be prepared to scrape the front (lip and front of sideskirt) a little more.
So far I have not scraped either - knock on wood! So hopefully this will not be an issue in the future coming down 1 finger height in the front.

Quick Reply: Tein Flex and EDFC installed