Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is it possible to resurface slotted rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-03, 09:17 AM
theanimala
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to resurface slotted rotors?

My GS with TRD slotted rotors vibrates like mad when I brake at highway speeds. I just had new tires put on and they told me my brake pads are full of life. They said they could not resurface my rotors because they are slotted.

I really do not want to spend the money on new rotors, especially since these only have like 20K miles on them. Not only that, but then I would need to get new pads at the same time (recommended I believe). Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Old 12-22-03, 09:26 AM
Lexis11
Lexus Champion

I am not sure the answer to this question but I can tell you that I bought a set of cross drilled AND slotted rotors adn they came warped so my buddie at his shop resurfaced the rotors. I never put them on because the company sent me new ones but my buddie said they were shaved and they would be like new. Hope this helps?
Old 12-22-03, 09:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I've also had my slotted & drilled rotors resurfaced... I'd assume that they can do just slotted with the right equipment.
Old 12-24-03, 12:27 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

I had the same problem as well. I inspected the rotors and they were not warped. In fact in order to warp the rotors you gotta try really hard. You could have a rotor that has an unusually hot spot (and therefore grips really hard there). I did notice that after I changed my brake lines, the shimmy/shake resolved. I did not have the rotors resurfaced, just the brake line changed (I used the SS lines). Maybe the flexion/expansion of the brake fluid in the lines is causing weird braking pressures. If you are thinking about getting the SS lines, I would try this first. Then possibly get rotors if the problem is not resolved.
Old 12-31-03, 10:03 AM
nudderGS400
Pole Position

Default Yes, you can resuface.

Most shops won't attempt to resurface slotted or drilled rotors because it requires a stronger 'bit' for cutting on the lathe. (At least that is my understanding.) You will need to find a performance shop to do them.

You may also want to check with some dealers, like Nissan, that offer Brembo brake packages as stock options. Maybe a Porsche shop? Pricey!?

I had to try three different cobminations of rotors and pads before mine settled down. I was going through them every 6 months. Good luck.
Old 12-31-03, 11:45 AM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have resurfaced 3 sets of x-drilled/slotted rotors. Any machine shops with carbide bits can do the job.
It costs me $35 for both SupraTT front rotors.
Old 12-31-03, 12:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts
Default Re: Yes, you can resuface.

Originally posted by nudderGS400
Most shops won't attempt to resurface slotted or drilled rotors because it requires a stronger 'bit' for cutting on the lathe. (At least that is my understanding.) You will need to find a performance shop to do them.

You may also want to check with some dealers, like Nissan, that offer Brembo brake packages as stock options. Maybe a Porsche shop? Pricey!?

I had to try three different cobminations of rotors and pads before mine settled down. I was going through them every 6 months. Good luck.
Depends... My local Lexus dealer (recently went through a shop upgrade) had the correct equipment to resurface my cross-drilled / slotted rotors. Also pricey, but I prefer they work on it.
Old 12-31-03, 03:35 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Any shop that can properly surface standard rotors can easily surface slotted/ drilled rotors. Had a lathe myself till I sold it last year
Always turned them myself. No special bits needed. No premature wear on the bits over the ordinary usage.