Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

My replica lip has a crack and I don't know who to blame

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-08, 11:09 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Hate to say it but it's not the installer's fault that the kit fitment is bad and the materials are cracking. You get what you pay for. It's a replica lip. Doesn't matter what shop installs it or how they did it. It's as simple as that.
In my opinion, i feel that EXACT should have at least informed the vehicle owner of the fitment issue immediately once it is discovered. It is their negligent for not doing so.

The next question is the part itself. Is it verifiable that the kit is not defective in terms of fitment or possibly flaws in craftsmanship? Is this part a genuine SEIBON (replica ING+1) kit?

Regardless of which, these type of aftermarket parts should be bought locally for fitment reasons.

Goodluck finding any resolution... If i were to choose who would be at fault, I would say it is EXACT for force fitting a kit without providing any sort of disclaimer before honoring the job.

May i ask how much you paid for this service?
Old 08-26-08, 11:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

here's what i think.

it's true that if exact didn't think the kit would fit, they probably shouldn't have installed it and just let the owner take care of it. forcing it probably wouldn't help much. and sometimes you need to remove the bumper to install the kit (flex the bumper instead of the lip) and then install the bumper back on.

on the other hand, one kit fits on one car doesn't mean crap about fitment on all cars, especially knock offs (give me a break). even kits from reputable companies with far better quality control like wald and so, they have variations on their kits. i have had 2 wald kits on my sc430 and their fitment was different. both fit but different. so if your kits fit fine on your car, good for you, but that's where it ends

and knock offs.... what else can i say....
Old 08-26-08, 11:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by istundra
In my opinion, i feel that EXACT should have at least informed the vehicle owner of the fitment issue immediately once it is discovered. It is their negligent for not doing so.

The next question is the part itself. Is it verifiable that the kit is not defective in terms of fitment or possibly flaws in craftsmanship? Is this part a genuine SEIBON (replica ING+1) kit?

Regardless of which, these type of aftermarket parts should be bought locally for fitment reasons.

Goodluck finding any resolution... If i were to choose who would be at fault, I would say it is EXACT for force fitting a kit without providing any sort of disclaimer before honoring the job.

May i ask how much you paid for this service?
Exact Motorsports is not a body shop, but it was up to the OP to bring it into the shop to have them install it. I'm not trying to defend Exact nor am I defending the OP, but it's usually common sense to bring "body work" to a qualified and trusted body shop. It's just like having a random person do a nav hack on a car, trusting that they know what they are doing, but in reality they have no experience when a problem arises. Caveat emptor.

Secondly, we all know replica kits are what they are...they are not going to have the exact same fitment or quality as the original...no matter what it is. Everyone knows Seibon parts do not have good fitment. Look at the trunks and c/f hoods they offer for the 2IS and even the 3GS. They fit horribly and they turn green after a while. Any good installer even a qualified bodyman knows that you sometimes have to put some force or make adjustments to a part to make it fit properly. If the fit is snug, there are chances the part wasn't manufactured properly. Blame that on the inconsistency of the replica part. Original parts usually have enough margin or give so that the part can be installed properly. It's not rocket science here. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by flipside909; 08-26-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-26-08, 11:24 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True what Flip said. This is why I would rather bring my stuff into a body shop and get it painted, sure the paint wont match 100% but I can always test fit it before and either fix it to make it fit or pay the shop. Lucky for me, my kit fit like a glove, given i paid a nice amount of money for it. BUT then again sometimes the real deal doesnt fit well either, so its a hit or miss depending on the company.
Old 08-26-08, 11:40 PM
istundra
Pole Position

Yes flipside, i agree as well. Come to think about it, sometimes for problem like these can be like a bad draw for the installer.

Assuming the installer has had many success installing this same kit, but considering slightly manufacturing inconsistencies with aftermarket parts, it can really boil down to the installer's badluck for taking the blame.

In this case, I would some how attempt to have this part re-installed to see if there are any variation in fitment.
Old 08-27-08, 12:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by 2slow
Omar told me they fitted the lip before they painted it and before they sent it to me and said that it's the auto body's fault.
Why would you buy a pre-painted fiberglass or c/f kit in the first place without testing the fitment, especially considering it's a replica. Secondly, why would you have something pre-painted when there will be a variance in paint color from the paintshop's mix and the factory paint on your car. You should have had it painted and test fitted locally.
Old 08-27-08, 12:14 AM
LexFather

Wow, how did I miss the "replica" part in the thread.

Well now I am not surprised it didn't fit.

Old 08-27-08, 04:02 AM
JaPaziLLa
Driver School Candidate

i wonder if exact motorsports mentioned their inexperience with body kits to inform the owner that maybe he should take his kit to a "BODY SHOP" or just wanted to learn on his? also i believe the buyer came to clublexus to find a shop to help him with his choice of installation, maybe more research should have been done instead of rolling the dice on clublexus forums to find a shop. people mention common sense, but to beginners its not as clear. (not saying the buyer is a beginner)
Old 08-27-08, 07:25 AM
istundra
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flipside909
Why would you buy a pre-painted fiberglass or c/f kit in the first place without testing the fitment, especially considering it's a replica. Secondly, why would you have something pre-painted when there will be a variance in paint color from the paintshop's mix and the factory paint on your car. You should have had it painted and test fitted locally.
Agreed. I have bought non-OEM prepainted peices and they were horror stories.

Some shops just spray the part without regard how the paint actually looks like on the car. This is especially apparent with 3 stage paint. If the pearl is laid too thin or thick, it will not match.
Old 08-27-08, 03:15 PM
LSCJJ
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by panther28
I took my replica kit to EMC collision. They also cracked my rear lip while they were testing it for fitment before painting. They called me up, showed me what had happened and then fixed it for me. Give them a try, they are located in fremont CA. They did an excellent job.
+ on EMC, aka MUM Sports.
Old 08-27-08, 04:38 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

bottom line is Exact should of inform you regarding the fitment issues and let you decide if you want them to install it with force at your own risk.
Old 08-27-08, 06:50 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well it was the stupid of me for not confronting Exact Motor sports in the beginning when the lip was cracked. I don't have time for paper work since school has started. I'm just going to bring it somewhere to fix it. I'll try EMC collision for sure. Thanks
Old 08-27-08, 07:05 PM
ISooNice
Pole Position

man that sucks! tell em to get you a new one!
Old 08-27-08, 07:15 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

It does suck, but o well. Should of did something about it when it happened.
Old 09-05-08, 08:30 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Default Update!

Exact motor sports truly care about their customers. They have talked it over with me these past weeks and have agreed to fix the crack and paint it. They are one of a kind shop out in Norcal. I'll update you guys on the situtation.