RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Catalytic Converters

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 04:04 PM
ticem90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Converters

How is everybody doing with those magna flow bolt on replacement catalytic converter's going on there 09 RX 350 models ?
Old 03-30-17, 03:28 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Welcome!

Why do you need one? Let me guess... you got a P0420 or P0430 check engine light code, and the auto parts store is telling you it needs a new cat.

While it's possible to have a bad cat, it's not definite going by those codes. There are several factors that come into play regarding those codes, and it often has nothing to do with a bad cat.

Quality/quantity of oil
Rear O2 sensor fault
Quality of gas used - typically the primary culprit
PCV system fault
Small exhaust leak
Dirty air filter
Worn out spark plugs
Throttle body needs cleaned

I got a P0430 on a road trip at the beginning of this month. I added a bottle of CataClean, and filled it up with gas from a different station. So far, the light hasn't returned, though I won't be surprised if it does. These codes can make it a pain to find the true source of the problem. I dealt with it when I had my '01 Outback H6. Once I made sure to use quality, premium gas in it, the light stayed off for months.
Old 03-30-17, 04:07 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by RedGemini
Welcome!

Why do you need one? Let me guess... you got a P0420 or P0430 check engine light code, and the auto parts store is telling you it needs a new cat.

While it's possible to have a bad cat, it's not definite going by those codes. There are several factors that come into play regarding those codes, and it often has nothing to do with a bad cat.

Quality/quantity of oil
Rear O2 sensor fault
Quality of gas used - typically the primary culprit
PCV system fault
Small exhaust leak
Dirty air filter
Worn out spark plugs
Throttle body needs cleaned

I got a P0430 on a road trip at the beginning of this month. I added a bottle of CataClean, and filled it up with gas from a different station. So far, the light hasn't returned, though I won't be surprised if it does. These codes can make it a pain to find the true source of the problem. I dealt with it when I had my '01 Outback H6. Once I made sure to use quality, premium gas in it, the light stayed off for months.
Same here, when I first purchased the RX, although erased the codes & just have been filling up with Premium 91 Octane since then, codes P0420 & P0430 never returned for about 2 months now.
Quite sure the previous owner was filling up with the cheapest fuel available for years before, causing deposits = codes.
My RX seems quite picky for fuel, thus far Esso 91 has proven to the best for performance up here in the Great White North, still need to figure out the poor millage issue.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 03-30-17 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 05:28 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

I'm still fighting the gas mileage issue, as well. It's a little early to tell, but it seems the transfer case and rear diff fluids change might be helping. I'll know better after the next whole tank of gas. I'm also planning to do them again soon, since they were so bad, especially the rear diff.
Old 03-30-17, 08:04 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedGemini
I'm still fighting the gas mileage issue, as well. It's a little early to tell, but it seems the transfer case and rear diff fluids change might be helping. I'll know better after the next whole tank of gas. I'm also planning to do them again soon, since they were so bad, especially the rear diff.
I'm thinking possibly doing a reset, disconnect negative on battery for 30 mins to allow the RX to relearn, although hesitant since this is the only issue for performance
Also unsure if the Trip Info for MPG on the Nav. is accurate or not or still using some info from the previous owner.
Spark Plugs were changed 10,000 miles ago with one Ignition Coil by the previous owner, no idea if the outfit who serviced is reputable or not.
Changed the Air Filter, Differential oil was replaced due to a leak, Air Pressure Tires is fine, Transmission shifts fine but could use a oil change.
Oil was changed by previous owner, unknown for what brand.
Filling up with Octane 91, easy & smooth on the pedal, & no codes....yet at the end of the day I would think I am driving a Corvette.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 03-30-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-30-17, 03:48 PM
ticem90
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Red Gemini and THANK YOU for your quick response and I appreciate everything you said I will try cat cleaner and fill up I always use premium unleaded but I will switch to a different gas probably Exxon or Chevron if you have a suggestion that would be great I live in Texas but I guess I just need to spend the money and take it to the Dealer if your suggestions don't solve the problem and pay for them to put it on the test machine. Thank you again very much for your quick response and your suggestions
Old 03-31-17, 05:08 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

You're welcome. Exxon or Chevron should be fine.

Honestly, IF you would decide to try a dealer, go to Toyota. Lexus will charge you even more just to tell you your cats are bad, even if they truly aren't. Dealers are about quick, expensive "fixes" for everything anymore. None of them want to take the time to properly investigate and diagnose, which a savvy tech should be able to decipher real-time scans to look for something off.

Try to search around for a reputable Toyota mechanic. Maybe someone here might know of one in your area. Some just love the thrill of the chase finding problems, and that's the guy you want working on your car. They're hard to find, but they're out there.
Old 03-31-17, 05:10 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
I'm thinking possibly doing a reset, disconnect negative on battery for 30 mins to allow the RX to relearn, although hesitant since this is the only issue for performance
Also unsure if the Trip Info for MPG on the Nav. is accurate or not or still using some info from the previous owner.
Spark Plugs were changed 10,000 miles ago with one Ignition Coil by the previous owner, no idea if the outfit who serviced is reputable or not.
Changed the Air Filter, Differential oil was replaced due to a leak, Air Pressure Tires is fine, Transmission shifts fine but could use a oil change.
Oil was changed by previous owner, unknown for what brand.
Filling up with Octane 91, easy & smooth on the pedal, & no codes....yet at the end of the day I would think I am driving a Corvette.
Honestly, a reset didn't do squat for mine, except make me waste my time reprogramming all the windows and moonroof. YMMV, though...
Old 04-04-17, 06:59 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

I find ours to be about 1-2 MPG optimistic versus manually calculating.

yet at the end of the day I would think I am driving a Corvette.
That would have to be a terrible Corvette. I mean, our 400h is quick but it's definitely no sports car.
Old 04-04-17, 07:56 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by takeshi74
I find ours to be about 1-2 MPG optimistic versus manually calculating.
I suppose I might as well put away the calculator to avoid a bigger disappointment. 7 MPG would compare to a U-Haul truck.