SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Window Auto-up problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 11:42 AM
socalturbo
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Auto-up problem

Hi guys! I replaced the driver window of my 2002 sc430. The auto-up on the switch works and the window goes all the way up but it goes down half way afterwards. I looked at the factory service manual and it says to roll down the window manually, push the reset switch with a round bar, roll up the window manually, then release the round bar. I tried this several times and it didn't work. I removed the window motor to inspect the reset switch but it's a white plastic gear in the hole. anyone here know how these things work? the windows rolls up and down just fine, i'm trying to fix the auto-up and keep the window closed.

I appreciate the help in advance!
Old 03-28-17, 02:03 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

When you say manually "roll" the window up and down, do you mean that you just hold the switch down (or up) until it is finished?
When you say auto-up, do you mean pulling up on the window switch in such a fashion as it should continue on its own to completion?
Old 03-28-17, 02:25 PM
socalturbo
Driver

reading the factory service manual and when they say manually roll up the window, i assumed they mean using the switch to roll it up but not use the auto-up feature. when i say auto-up, it means that i'm using the window switch pulling it all the way up then let it go to automatically roll the window up.

in essence, the answer is yes to both of your question. Please feel free to let me know if i misunderstood the instruction.
Old 03-28-17, 02:29 PM
socalturbo
Driver

anyone here familiar with the window reset switch? since i bought the car used, i'm not 100% sure if the window motor is OEM because i definitely don't see a reset button on the motor, i only see a white plastic gear in the hole where they say to use a 2mm round bar to press the reset switch. i do have a picture if it helps.
Old 03-28-17, 02:43 PM
socalturbo
Driver

Name:  window3_zpskhckslyw.jpg
Views: 8461
Size:  74.0 KB
I think the window reset switch is supposed to be in that hole where you can see a white plastic gear.

Last edited by socalturbo; 03-28-17 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-28-17, 05:45 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

I am basing this GUESS on a garage door opener. I wonder if the window closes, hits the rubber and then opens half way up because it thinks it is crushing a kids head/your hand/an elbow?

Maybe you need to teach the limits to the motor by opening it all the way down and holding the down button a few seconds longer. Then do the same thing with the up.

That is how you program the seats, so maybe it will work for the window too
Old 03-28-17, 06:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by socalturbo
Hi guys! I replaced the driver window of my 2002 sc430. The auto-up on the switch works and the window goes all the way up but it goes down half way afterwards. I looked at the factory service manual and it says to roll down the window manually, push the reset switch with a round bar, roll up the window manually, then release the round bar. I tried this several times and it didn't work. I removed the window motor to inspect the reset switch but it's a white plastic gear in the hole. anyone here know how these things work? the windows rolls up and down just fine, i'm trying to fix the auto-up and keep the window closed.

I appreciate the help in advance!
i read the procedure in section 75 and I would agree it is not very clear but it does say to use a rod or something similar that is 2mm in diameter to push in the hole when the window is all the way down. They do say manually move the window and it does refer to using the switch to electrically raise and lower the window. I think the reset is a mechanical process, not an actual reset switch...my two cents.

i found another picture of the motor assembly on eBay for you to compare.

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-31-17 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-29-17, 09:55 AM
socalturbo
Driver

DashingDar - I think you are correct. maybe the window has a pinch protection and instead of it stopping when fully closed, it thinks it's pinching an arm then opens again. I will try your suggestion.
Bgw70 - Thanks for the info. that is the same window motor i have and after removing the rubber grommet, i saw the white plastic gear. I'll take it apart again and inspect the hole when moving the window up and down, maybe it'll give me a hint if it's a mechanical process.

Has anyone experienced this issue? it happened when i replaced the driver side window.
Old 03-29-17, 11:25 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

If the window was ever replaced there is a good chance that it is not perfectly aligned and pinch protection stops it as it senses resistance going up. To test if that is the case simply have the door open and auto the window up. If it can go all the way without stopping then you know there is a resistance at the quarter window joint that is greater than allowed. The way to fix it is to spray the rail/strip at the quarter window with silicone lubricant (the one you can find at home depot for $8). You can do that once every six months. Hope it helps.
Old 03-29-17, 02:45 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

There are stops for the window to know when it has reached its limits. I did a DYI for replacing the triangle weatherstripping where window adjustment is mentioned. See post # 37 in the first link and # 72 in the second link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...d-noise-3.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...d-noise-5.html

(There's other good info in that thread also, if you want to read it all.)
Old 03-30-17, 08:59 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you unplug the battery? Try it.
Old 03-31-17, 08:23 AM
socalturbo
Driver

@DashingDar - I held the window switch down for a few seconds after it opens, then i held the switch up a few seconds after closing but nothing happened.
@jzdulexus - I had the door open and the window open, after using the auto up, it still bounced down halfway.
@mandyfig - Haven't tried unplugging the battery and I will try that route.

I did try holding the switch down for 20 seconds and up 20 seconds then it stopped working, had to restart the car a few times to get it working again. That had me worried and thought i wouldn't be able to close my window.
Old 03-31-17, 08:41 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by socalturbo
@DashingDar - I held the window switch down for a few seconds after it opens, then i held the switch up a few seconds after closing but nothing happened.
@jzdulexus - I had the door open and the window open, after using the auto up, it still bounced down halfway.
@mandyfig - Haven't tried unplugging the battery and I will try that route.

I did try holding the switch down for 20 seconds and up 20 seconds then it stopped working, had to restart the car a few times to get it working again. That had me worried and thought i wouldn't be able to close my window.
i think you overheated the motor by holding the switch so long.

you really should go back and perform the procedure from the maintenance manual.
Old 03-31-17, 08:50 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Let's review the steps...
23d. Close the window
23e. Push the Rod in the hole
23f. While pushing the reset switch, open the window.

have you performed these steps?
if not, try it please.

keep the rubber plug in the hole because 2mm is about the size of the hole in the rubber.

you could use a small punch, flattened nail, Allen wrench etc.

dont push to hard the first time, try it multiple times if required, applying a little more pressure each time.

Old 03-31-17, 09:26 AM
socalturbo
Driver

@BGW70 - I'll open up the door again this weekend, just wanted to try the easy solutions first.

Keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Window Auto-up problem