New 2005 owner - Figs engineering experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-17, 06:54 PM
hoye0017
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2005 owner - Figs engineering experience

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this forum since I bought my blue onyx 2005 ML a few weeks ago.

I haven't felt compelled to post anything until today. Based on recommendations I found here, I ordered 2 Figs engineering trunk support struts from Figs' website.

Today, I received a call from them, informing me they were about to pack the order but they wanted to make sure I ordered correctly. I had accidentally ordered 4 total (They come in a set of 2 when you order 1 qty.)

I told them that I really only needed 2 total and they gladly corrected the order and refunded the 2nd set and packed the order to ship.

I think this level of service is exceptional in today's online world. I think most places would just pack 2 sets and hope you keep the other just to save the hassle of shipping back. It was great to get a phone call from a person who seemed to care about my experience.

Anyway, I hope to contribute more in the future and I will add to this thread when I actually install the struts.
Old 03-21-17, 07:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Sounds like a good company and excellent "on the ball" customer service department. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-21-17, 08:06 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hoye0017
Hi everyone,
I've been lurking on this forum since I bought my blue onyx 2005 ML a few weeks ago.

I haven't felt compelled to post anything until today. Based on recommendations I found here, I ordered 2 Figs engineering trunk support struts from Figs' website.

Today, I received a call from them, informing me they were about to pack the order but they wanted to make sure I ordered correctly. I had accidentally ordered 4 total (They come in a set of 2 when you order 1 qty.)

I told them that I really only needed 2 total and they gladly corrected the order and refunded the 2nd set and packed the order to ship.

I think this level of service is exceptional in today's online world. I think most places would just pack 2 sets and hope you keep the other just to save the hassle of shipping back. It was great to get a phone call from a person who seemed to care about my experience.

Anyway, I hope to contribute more in the future and I will add to this thread when I actually install the struts.

Would love to hear how these are! I've been eyeballing them for awhile.
Old 03-21-17, 10:36 PM
lorenr
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Fig's is a stand up company and I would not hesitate doing business with them.

I don't think they sell anything that isn't a superior product. If they sell it, it just flat works. Bought trunk lifts from them seven or so years ago.
Old 03-21-17, 11:48 PM
tkblazer
Rookie

I've purchased a few items from them and I'm always amazed at the quality.
Old 03-22-17, 04:00 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

My policy is that when a company is exceptional, I look them up on Yelp and make sure I give them an outstanding review. Other people, including the business, often do read them. Surprisingly, the car wash that knocked my door caps off (not their fault), saw my review and gave me a $50 gift card to make up for it. I wasn't going to say it's $10 short as Lexus door caps are no joke lol

There are still stand out companies, one of them is the co. who repairs ABS modules, pumps, instruments, blah blah blah. I think there are 60+ pages of testimonials on their website. They turn a $4,200 dealer repair, into a $250 DIY, and likely the place your indie garage would use. They blew me away with telephone response, emails, chats, etc. Sounds like Figs is this type of co. in the Toyota world.

Again, why not take the time to let more than the people on this forum know? Put it on Yelp!

edit I probably got this from my dad, he's old school. Rather than email, he typed a letter to the credit union, to thank the phone rep for his help. My mom is like yeah he just sent a letter to Merrifield VA, I'm not sure what it was. Also, he got slapped with 2 parking tix in Boston, and said he was writing them a letter to explain what happened. I told him, whatever dad, get ready to pay some serious $$$$ you should have read the sign. The tix were dismissed!! Pay it forward...

Last edited by Johnhav430; 03-22-17 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-22-17, 09:15 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow how have i not heard of these guys? Thanks for the tip! Going to go ahead and order their LS430 trunk-struts and see how it goes. Cheers!
Old 03-23-17, 04:24 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

What is the name of the company that repairs ABS modules, pumps, etc.? Sounds like a good place to know about. thanks.
Old 03-23-17, 04:55 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sgretchko
What is the name of the company that repairs ABS modules, pumps, etc.? Sounds like a good place to know about. thanks.
You'll find my testimonial here along with hundreds of others. I've told my indie BMW garage about them and they were like thanks, the place we're using now is hit/miss.....they even guarantee the turnaround, basically 5 working days, and they were accurate and came through. Too bad this service doesn't exist for every aspect of our lives, they're that good.

c'mon now, 5 yr warranty on the repair (when a new part has a design flaw and will fail again), $250 when the dealer charges $4,200, it's just nuts how many people they're helping with their service....

https://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/testimonials/
Old 03-23-17, 06:48 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

So much for that...

Step 3: Click the picture of your module...

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS

Don't see your module? Try a category search or submit a Repair Request.

Showing all 0 results

We're sorry, we do not currently repair modules for your vehicle.
Submit a repair request if you'd like us to consider your module.
Old 03-23-17, 07:06 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daspyda
So much for that...Step 3: Click the picture of your module...

Vehicle: 2004 Lexus LS

Don't see your module? Try a category search or submit a Repair Request.

Showing all 0 results

We're sorry, we do not currently repair modules for your vehicle.
Submit a repair request if you'd like us to consider your module.
The failure is very common on BMWs, so they have the process down on Bosch units, and there is a steady market. I think the failure is less common on the Japanese cars, there may be no market. If you check out their FB page, they are no joke, they have researched the best way to repair the units such that the design flaw is gone. Hacks on eBay sometimes saw or pry open the units, damaging them even further. I mean my Maxima never needed ABS work in 18+ years. Though, I did see 2006'ish Maximas had this expensive failure. These folks have custom blow molded packaging for the Bosch units, that's how many they do. I've often wondered why they only charge $250, people would pay $1500 to save $4200.
Old 03-27-17, 09:05 PM
hoye0017
Driver School Candidate

So I received the figs trunk struts and installed them. It was easy to do and the trunk lifts and closes great now. I'd love to be able to say that it's as good as New but I wouldn't know what new feels like.

I suppose time will tell but the design makes sense. The larger piece goes on top with the rod on the bottom. This, in theory, keeps lubrication at the seal so the struts should last a lot longer. If they fail in the next year or so, I'll update this thread

I would definitely recommend trying these if you need to replace your trunk struts.
Old 03-28-17, 01:09 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 201 Likes on 150 Posts

I bought FIGS trunk struts in Feb.2009, the month after I bought my 2002 UL, and it was very easy to remove and replace the old struts.

Opened and closed the trunk tons of times in the past 8 years, FIGS struts still work perfectly fine. So they have outlasted the OEM struts which died in under 7 years (car in-service date April 2002, and the trunk struts were dead when I bought the car in January 2009).
Old 03-28-17, 02:34 PM
Mobius1
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Just got mine in today and installed them as well! Was a 10 minute job, probably the easiest mechanical item to replace.

Before i would have to lift it all the way up for it to stay in place. And when i nudge it back down it would slam loudly into the trunk/latch.

Now i lift it by about a foot and the new struts take care of the rest. And when i close it now more gently arrives at the bottom. It does make it so that closing it requires a bit more effort but definitely worth the price regardless. A+ on these things.