GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

12.3" Default Screen / Audio Mute "Button"

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-17, 07:27 AM
Handi
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 12.3" Default Screen / Audio Mute "Button"

On the 12.3 display, is there a way to either set a default screen or to prevent the screen from changing?
My always goes back to the Nav. screen.
Even when I am moving the cursor around trying to select an song/artist it will switch to the Nav. screen and it is getting frustrating.

Also am I missing something, I find it hard to believe that the audio system (non-ML) doesn't have a "MUTE" button.
Is it so obvious I am over looking it or is it we don't have one?

Regards
Randy
Old 01-18-17, 07:33 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The mute is the play/pause button.
Old 01-18-17, 07:33 AM
bjnzzzle
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Handi
On the 12.3 display, is there a way to either set a default screen or to prevent the screen from changing?
My always goes back to the Nav. screen.
Even when I am moving the cursor around trying to select an song/artist it will switch to the Nav. screen and it is getting frustrating.

Also am I missing something, I find it hard to believe that the audio system (non-ML) doesn't have a "MUTE" button.
Is it so obvious I am over looking it or is it we don't have one?

Regards
Randy
First, you can turn that feature off by going to Menu/Settings/Nav/Nav Details and turn off the Auto change screen.
Second, you can hold the MODE button on the steering wheel to mute the music or there is a mute button on the right side of the cd slot
Old 01-18-17, 09:22 AM
Handi
Rookie

Thanks, both of those worked. BUT, there are conditions with the mute depending on the source.
I will test it at lunch.
Also my menu path for the popup window isn't what your showing. Im not sure if it a model year difference.
I will log my path and post it after lunch.

Thanks for your assistance. Much faster and better than stopping by the dealer on the way home to let them figure it out.
Thanks again
Old 01-18-17, 09:29 AM
bjnzzzle
Rookie

Thanks, both of those worked. BUT, there are conditions with the mute depending on the source.
I will test it at lunch.
Also my menu path for the popup window isn't what your showing. Im not sure if it a model year difference.
I will log my path and post it after lunch.

Thanks for your assistance. Much faster and better than stopping by the dealer on the way home to let them figure it out.
Thanks again
My bad, the menu path is Menu/Setup/Nav/Nav Details
Old 01-18-17, 11:24 AM
Handi
Rookie

The path to turn off the Automatic Window Changing, MENU "Button" / SETUP / GENERAL (then scroll down once) / "AUTO SCREEN CHANGE" Turn OFF
I drove a couple of miles in 10+ minutes and the screen did not change.

To mute the Sound

SOURCE "MODE BUTTON" (Hold for 2 seconds +) / Play/Pause (Button at Right of Disc Slot)
AM/FM - - - - - - - - Pause Sound (No longer LIVE Radio) - - - - - Pause Sound (No longer LIVE Radio)
USB - - - - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause
SAT - - - - - - - - - - - Mute - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Mute
DISC - - - - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause
BlueTooth - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause
Pandora - - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause

For whatever the reason you can not Pause the SAT source, too bad it doesn't capture the audio and let you build up like you can on the AM/FM.
Oh well, this has giving me a better understanding of it.

Last edited by Handi; 01-18-17 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-18-17, 11:57 AM
bjnzzzle
Rookie

The path to turn off the Automatic Window Changing, MENU "Button" / SETUP / GENERAL (then scroll down once) / "AUTO SCREEN CHANGE" Turn OFF
I drove a couple of miles in 10+ minutes and the screen did not change.

To mute the Sound

SOURCE "MODE BUTTON" (Hold for 2 seconds +) / Play/Pause (Button at Right of Disc Slot)
AM/FM - - - - - - - - Pause Sound (No longer LIVE Radio) - - - - - Pause Sound (No longer LIVE Radio)
USB - - - - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause
SAT - - - - - - - - - - - Mute - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Mute
DISC - - - - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause
BlueTooth - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause
Pandora - - - - - - - - Pause - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Pause

For whatever the reason you can not Pause the SAT source, too bad it doesn't capture the audio and let you build up like you can on the AM/FM.
Oh well, this has giving me a better understanding of it.
You're right, I was at work and could not remember clearly lol
Old 01-18-17, 12:11 PM
Handi
Rookie

Originally Posted by bjnzzzle
You're right, I was at work and could not remember clearly lol
Hey, not a problem. That's why I had to wait and write it down. Trying to memorize all of the Menu's this car has is impossible for me.
When I was much younger and lived this stuff I might of been able to recall it but now no way.
My brain is still at the DOS 6.0 level, and the memory is bad and can no longer be purchased. :^)