IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Remote Starter on Lexus is less than impressive

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-16, 09:50 PM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote Starter on Lexus is less than impressive

As the winter is here in full force I just wanted to share my experience with the Lexus remote start. I am not going to complain about the range ... but the biggest disappointment is when I open my door the car shuts down! So I have been searching around for others who are not so impressed with this feature and there seems to be a general consensus that Lexus dropped the ball. I get the whole security feature, but it wouldn't be too hard to disable the vehicle if the brake pedal is pressed or the car is put into gear without the fob in range. Has anyone successfully installed a bypass or a work around to fix this "security" feature that Lexus and Toyota is copping as a feature?
Old 12-08-16, 10:15 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

The remote start straight up sucks. Won't change until Lexus decides to update their app software.
Old 12-09-16, 12:59 AM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought that i can still remote start my car with my key fob remote even though my lexus enform subscription expired. sadly, it doesn't what a bummer.
Old 12-09-16, 01:10 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

The app is meant to start the engine to warm up for people in colder climates. It is suppose to turn off by itself in 10 mins, or when you open the door.

I know its misleading, but its used to just warm up the car. You still need a key fob to drive it.
Old 12-09-16, 04:50 AM
jlopez3983
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
As the winter is here in full force I just wanted to share my experience with the Lexus remote start. I am not going to complain about the range ... but the biggest disappointment is when I open my door the car shuts down! So I have been searching around for others who are not so impressed with this feature and there seems to be a general consensus that Lexus dropped the ball. I get the whole security feature, but it wouldn't be too hard to disable the vehicle if the brake pedal is pressed or the car is put into gear without the fob in range. Has anyone successfully installed a bypass or a work around to fix this "security" feature that Lexus and Toyota is copping as a feature?
A lot of remote starts on Push to start vehicles shut off when you open the vehicle. Not only OEM equipment, but even with aftermarked equipment. There are certain features the aftermarket cannot access in our CAN network in the vehicles because Lexus locks down the computers.
Old 12-09-16, 05:15 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by jlopez3983
A lot of remote starts on Push to start vehicles shut off when you open the vehicle. Not only OEM equipment, but even with aftermarked equipment. There are certain features the aftermarket cannot access in our CAN network in the vehicles because Lexus locks down the computers.
I've experienced the exact opposite. Most remote start (OEM and aftermarket) allow you to get in the car while it's still running. With a foot on the brake and tap of the start button, everything else is up and running. It is beyond stupid (and quite frankly no safer than other setups) for the car to shut off when you open the door, only to start it up again.
Old 12-09-16, 06:17 AM
SnakeGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I've experienced the exact opposite. Most remote start (OEM and aftermarket) allow you to get in the car while it's still running. With a foot on the brake and tap of the start button, everything else is up and running. It is beyond stupid (and quite frankly no safer than other setups) for the car to shut off when you open the door, only to start it up again.
Agreed most OEM and aftermarket I'm used to only turn off if you press the brake peddle.
Old 12-09-16, 08:23 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is basically the most stupid remote start system I know about. The system is available in my country and the dealer can install it in any car if it didn't come equiped with it, but its a waste of money.
Old 12-09-16, 09:55 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

It's just a safety feature so no one can drive away with your car while it's warming up, I hate it to but we are stuck with it. I plan on getting the Compustar installed after Christmas.
Old 12-09-16, 10:24 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ToDesi
It's just a safety feature so no one can drive away with your car while it's warming up, I hate it to but we are stuck with it. I plan on getting the Compustar installed after Christmas.
But the other systems achieve this same level of security without shutting the engine down. If you press the brakes without the fob in the car, the engine stops.
Old 12-09-16, 01:43 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by UngBuck
i thought that i can still remote start my car with my key fob remote even though my lexus enform subscription expired. sadly, it doesn't what a bummer.
Exactly! Mine stop working about after a year so i guessed it had to be end of the trial lexus enform subscription.
It sucked anyways so i might be looking at an aftermarket solution.
Old 12-09-16, 09:51 PM
BluVengnce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really a big deal in my book. Its really not hard to get in and put foot on brake and hit the start button. I mean are we seriously being that critical? I LOVE the fact that I don't need the key physically to even start the car like my old Lexus. Its like complaining about your TV remote when a few decades ago you had to physically get up to change the TV ****.