IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New Member / Owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 05:25 AM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New Member / Owner

Hello everyone! Thrilled to be joining the community, as I picked up my 2011 USB F in Dallas Tuesday. Popped up for sale that day, and came home with me that night. Can't think of a better way to get to know the car than taking a nice four hour drive. I got really lucky with this one as it already has a Joe Z exhaust, an intake (Takeda, I believe). It's also been lowered, I'll pull the wheels this weekend and see whats what. If anyone wants to sell their stock suspension - I'm interested.

That said - anyone want to buy a 2006 Cayman S in speed yellow? Need to make room in the garage.
Old 10-27-16, 05:37 AM
Minh93
Driver

Congrats and welcome to CL!!!
Old 10-27-16, 05:43 AM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ATXChris
Hello everyone! Thrilled to be joining the community, as I picked up my 2011 USB F in Dallas Tuesday. Popped up for sale that day, and came home with me that night. Can't think of a better way to get to know the car than taking a nice four hour drive. I got really lucky with this one as it already has a Joe Z exhaust, an intake (Takeda, I believe). It's also been lowered, I'll pull the wheels this weekend and see whats what. If anyone wants to sell their stock suspension - I'm interested.

That said - anyone want to buy a 2006 Cayman S in speed yellow? Need to make room in the garage.
That's Great! Where did you find the listing? Mind if I ask price and mileage?
Old 10-27-16, 05:50 AM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThisOldNSX
That's Great! Where did you find the listing? Mind if I ask price and mileage?
Found it via Cars.com at a Cadillac dealership. by the time I completed the paperwork, there were three backup buyers, and the car had just been listed on Monday. 46k miles, 38k price. snapped it right up.
Old 10-27-16, 05:53 AM
ThisOldNSX
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Found it via Cars.com at a Cadillac dealership. by the time I completed the paperwork, there were three backup buyers, and the car had just been listed on Monday. 46k miles, 38k price. snapped it right up.
Cool. Thanks. I am also in the market for an IS-F. I also live in Dallas. Congrats on the purchase and cya at cars and coffee some time!
Old 10-27-16, 05:58 AM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ThisOldNSX
Cool. Thanks. I am also in the market for an IS-F. I also live in Dallas. Congrats on the purchase and cya at cars and coffee some time!
Carmax in Austin has an 11 in silver for about the same price, and an 08 in red (paint is rough) for 31k right now, was about to purchase one of them and did one last check. My morning regime was Cars.com, Carmax, Autotrader.

Excited to finally be part of the club, can't wait to get to know some other local owners.
Old 10-27-16, 07:22 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Congrats! Excellent model year, excellent color, and excellent price, especially considering the mods!
Why do you want stock suspension?
And where are your pics?!

V.
Old 10-27-16, 07:28 AM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

Pics this weekend, need to give her a proper wash first. I'm leaning towards the stock suspension because whatever is on it now it way too harsh at speed. I love a firm, aggressive suspension, but this is lacking enough damping under load to keep handling predictable enough for my comfort level. Also, it gets pretty annoying on a road trip to have your head consistently bouncing off the headrest.
Old 10-27-16, 07:48 AM
GAISF
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics this weekend, need to give her a proper wash first. I'm leaning towards the stock suspension because whatever is on it now it way too harsh at speed. I love a firm, aggressive suspension, but this is lacking enough damping under load to keep handling predictable enough for my comfort level. Also, it gets pretty annoying on a road trip to have your head consistently bouncing off the headrest.
Just purchased my 08 IS F about 2 weeks ago. I agree about the suspension. Stock is supposedly kinda harsh though. I have stock rear and '14 shocks with swift springs on the front. I went over train tracks a little faster than I will in the future and my head hit the ceiling, haha.
Old 10-27-16, 08:10 AM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GAISF
Just purchased my 08 IS F about 2 weeks ago. I agree about the suspension. Stock is supposedly kinda harsh though. I have stock rear and '14 shocks with swift springs on the front. I went over train tracks a little faster than I will in the future and my head hit the ceiling, haha.

**** - on the highway home I went over a dip and hit my head, too. I'm coming off a 2006 Cayman S, which may have ruined me on every other car out there - I don't define firm, aggressive, and harsh as the same thing. I've driven an 08, 09, 11, and 12 ISF in my search for the right one - found the stock suspension to be quite firm and comfortable for me in every case.
Old 10-27-16, 08:57 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

**** - on the highway home I went over a dip and hit my head, too. I'm coming off a 2006 Cayman S, which may have ruined me on every other car out there - I don't define firm, aggressive, and harsh as the same thing. I've driven an 08, 09, 11, and 12 ISF in my search for the right one - found the stock suspension to be quite firm and comfortable for me in every case.
Welcome to CL, I'm actually curious to hear your thoughts on comparing the F and a cayman S, two totally different cars I know but I haven't been able to get one off my mind lately.
Old 10-27-16, 09:12 AM
ATXChris
Driver School Candidate

I absolutely love both cars. The Cayman may just be the best drivers car I'll ever own. Easy to work on, too. The 06 Cayman S could do with about 50 more HP and about the same increase in torque, but even without it it is a little rocket ship. I'm 6'3" and fit, but have gotten tired of cramming myself in. Having the engine located 12" behind my ear got a little old, too. Also, my Rottweiler prefers riding in the backseat

I've wanted to move to an 8-cylinder, luxury sedan with over 400hp. Not a BMW fan, the CTSV is too big of a chassis for me, and the C63 just isn't my style - and I have a rule not to buy "boring" colored cars. After driving the options, the F was the best all-around choice for me.

The F's build quality is almost as good as Porsche's, so I don't have any real complaints there ( a few vibrations in cabin are going to get tracked down and silenced in the next few weeks). The on board technology and comfort levels is definitely higher with Lexus. Both cars are easy and fun to push to the limit, and both give you predictable amounts of rotation when you want some fun.

If you do get a Porsche, join the PCA for 60 bucks. Porsche owners are a great bunch of people, and all love to drive!
Old 10-27-16, 09:33 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks! And yes I rode in a first year boxster a couple weeks ago and was so impressed with how silent and vibration-free the cabin was even at 150k.
Old 10-27-16, 09:40 AM
Tom2769
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Once you get the wheels off and have a look around, please post up your current lowered suspension setup - I have a 2011 as well and am in the process of evaluating suspension options. Would be interested to see what's on there that you feel is too harsh...
Old 10-27-16, 12:19 PM
Jondls33
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! great color too!I also have my stock suspension for sale 2011 with 40k miles on it. Everything is great condition

Last edited by Jondls33; 10-27-16 at 12:20 PM. Reason: ...

Quick Reply: New Member / Owner