IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Coilover install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 01:42 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Coilover install

Just curious what people have payed to get coils installed, getting some weird numbers from the places around here, Lexus wants ~1k, a shop that supposedly is decent near here is asking 200 which seems too low to be a good job. Seems to be a serious lack of reputable shops around here so if anybody has recommendations for northern AZ area (prescott) they would be really appreciated.
Old 10-25-16, 02:26 PM
Vervish
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts

$400 is probably reasonable - it is a very straight forward job, any decent tuning shop could do it.
Old 10-25-16, 02:30 PM
Piston1047
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I dunno man, I would say this is one of the most simple jobs you can do yourself. You might not have the space,tools, time or skills, which is understandable, in that case I would say 350 tops (3.5hr @ $100/hr) for a shop to do. The dealer is going to be expensive since that is not really their thing. But the general principle of installing coils is basic enough, finding a Lexus specific technician is not really necessary. It really is plug and play, way easier than replacing shocks, the hardest part is probably removing rusty bolts (if you live in a crappy area) or messing with the trunk liner ( I cut little flap doors to access the rebound adjustment screws)
Old 10-25-16, 04:47 PM
nks979
Lead Lap

Yeah no place to do it and no tools at the moment, definitely would do it myself if i had a place to, seems like an easy job to learn on. Ill try someplace besides the dealer for sure then, just remembered PPE is here too!
Old 10-25-16, 04:59 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I agree with Piston.. It shouldn't take more than 3.5 hrs for a competent mechanic to install these, especially in shop with a lift. My buddy & I did two in one day on jack stands. The first one took us awhile, but we did the second car in under 3.5 hrs. Neither one of us had done work like this before.

-Mike
Old 10-26-16, 08:20 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Thanks guys, I figured somewhere around ~400-450 would be the normal price so these quotes threw me off a bit. Might call up the local toyota and see what they say since they are the only place within an hour of me.
Old 10-26-16, 08:29 AM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

You can lessen the labor time/quote by telling them the interior in the trunk is already removed, that takes a while so you can do that your self and bring it in stripped and the labor should be 3 hours tops
Old 10-26-16, 08:34 AM
Bevansbc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is pretty easy, I just did mine this weekend. If you were closer to the valley I'd say come on over, the second time would go a whole lot faster. Seriously if you'd want to make the drive down I'd be happy to help.
Old 10-26-16, 08:41 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Piece of cake... if you already have the trunk disassembled ahead of time, it is a 3 hour job. Even at dealer rates you should be under $400 for the install, but an independent mechanic should knock it out for cheaper.
Old 10-26-16, 08:50 AM
nks979
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bevansbc
It is pretty easy, I just did mine this weekend. If you were closer to the valley I'd say come on over, the second time would go a whole lot faster. Seriously if you'd want to make the drive down I'd be happy to help.
Wow thats a hell of an offer, I definitely don't mind a drive if you're really up for it, it would be fun to learn how to do it. Ill send you a PM!
Old 10-26-16, 09:02 AM
eddyisf
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Coil overs are real simple to install I charge 300-350 I would charge more for spring install much more work
Old 10-26-16, 09:37 AM
flawless
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bevansbc
I'm in the ISF and 4runner club too! I see you have a sway bar installed. I'm installing the F-sport version this Friday. Anything I should know in advance? On that note, I'm also doing the USRS, any tips?

Friday is upgrade day for me!
Old 10-26-16, 10:33 AM
Bevansbc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flawless
I'm in the ISF and 4runner club too! I see you have a sway bar installed. I'm installing the F-sport version this Friday. Anything I should know in advance? On that note, I'm also doing the USRS, any tips?

Friday is upgrade day for me!
Great combo, best of both worlds!

For the rear sway, be prepared to replace the endlinks. My car was a Vegas and AZ car and still they were pretty rough, so I put on new ones. Liquid wrench and a breaker bar are your friend. You can do this one on ramps or stands.

The USRS was really easy following the write up here on the forum, see link below. I echo using stands rather than ramps for this job. I just followed the instructions in this thread and it went perfect.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rr-racing.html
Old 10-26-16, 10:49 AM
Jondls33
Driver

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

if you lived close by id say come over and we can do it, id charge you beer and pizza lol I did mine took about 3 hours.
Old 10-26-16, 04:01 PM
Keo
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed Springs my first time then change to Coil overs before, I can say that the coil-overs is easier to install due to not having to compress springs and repeating etc. But the things about coil-overs is that you must know your measurements and correct way of lowering/raising the valve area, you don't want to mess up your preset rate.

Cheapest alternative if you decide not to DIY. is to have someone with experience at a discount price. Shops around in SoCal here charges $200+ to me is still high.

You should also have a helping hand to get the job done quicker. Google helps a lot and i believe the isx50 section has a lot of DIY threads. hope this helps good luck.