RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX350 Audio Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-16, 07:48 PM
RX270
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio died and volume function loss.

Hi, i had a rx270 year 2010. I have a problem with my audio system (factory audio system). all the audio just died while I driving. totally no audio except click sound whenever the door self locking. is it because of amp failure or the wiring?
Old 10-23-16, 04:18 PM
ndcampbell
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy 2010 RX350 Audio Issues

I have a 2010 RX350 and this morning the power button on my audio will not turn on. The screen is working; but defaults to the
navigation map. Power button won't turn on; cannot turn on from steering wheel and voice recognition not
working. Checked all fuses under hood and disconnected battery to reboot system. Same thing still defaults to map. Any idea what this could be? I thought I read that there is fuse box on passenger side inside car? Can't imagine the radio just died? I can adjust temperature but no radio; nav, Sat ; Bluetooth. No audio at all
Old 10-24-16, 06:35 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,196 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Welcome to CL. There is a fuse box on the driver side inside the car, far left sort of on the bottom of the dash. Look at your owners manual as it will advise which fuses in which location cover which function. Of course, you just may be SOL on the radio.
I would do some further searching here and on other model forums as the Nav/Audio system is the same on all models. There is also an audio forum that you should look at, you will find it on the forum jump list.
Old 10-27-16, 05:39 PM
ndcampbell
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply. Had all the fuses checked and they are good. Going on 5 days no radio power. Took car to dealership and they tried to sell me a car rather than resolve my issue. Have appointment with audio place tomorrow morning and praying that it's a loose connection and not dead. I've owned Toyota for years. Never any issues with my celica; highlander or 4 runner .. first lexus and all these issues .. not happy and really liked this car when I first purchased.
Old 10-27-16, 06:00 PM
ndcampbell
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever get resolution to this? My 2010 RX audio died as well. ;(
Old 10-28-16, 11:38 AM
ndcampbell
Driver School Candidate

Took car to audio place today. They pulled out the unit and confirmed there is power going to the unit however power button will not turn on. Had to leave it with them and they will ship to United Radio in NY. Problem is that united has never seen this issue before. It could be a week before I get estimate on repair (if it can be repaired at all) so I'm without heat, defrost; basically everything because of the hole in my dashboard. No other choice except purchase another radio at this point. ��
Old 10-28-16, 01:08 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Probably some used ones available on eBay or at Rancho Cordova Used Lexus Parts online.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-2011-Lexus-RX450H-RX350-OEM-NAVIGATION-Radio-Changer-CD-Player-86120-48L70/331983293903?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40147%26meid%3Db2097422bbac42b8bb1df36d08a1d8c5%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252582288638
Old 10-28-16, 01:41 PM
ndcampbell
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Clutchless. I'm praying united can fix it and get me a price soon. No defrost in New England stinks. I'm bummed this happened. I'll check out the ones on eBay and if worst comes to worst I'll just replace it. I wonder if anyone else has had this issue ?? United said they never seen this before ?? I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing 🤔
Old 10-31-16, 12:21 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ndcampbell
Thanks Clutchless. I'm praying united can fix it and get me a price soon. No defrost in New England stinks. I'm bummed this happened. I'll check out the ones on eBay and if worst comes to worst I'll just replace it. I wonder if anyone else has had this issue ?? United said they never seen this before ?? I don't know if that is a good thing or bad thing 🤔
I'm in Australia so probably different components, same model 2010 RX350, Sports Luxury

Similar situation, radio would decide to change stations whenever it wanted to.

Apparently there was a service bulletin about this, they replaced the radio "head" for free under warranty
Old 11-02-16, 06:24 PM
ndcampbell
Driver School Candidate

Update on my radio saga �� ...

audio place sent unit to united radio and they are sending back unit as we speak to audio place to reinstall (still broken) unit. United says they cannot repair unit as they don't know what is wrong with it? Audio place will reinstall once unit is returned back to them; hopefully this week. Keep in mind I have no defrost; heat, AC, etc because the unit controls all of this. I know it's not a tragedy but no no defrost in early November in New England is rough.

Audio place tells me my only option now is to reinstall broken unit and purchase another used unit from online or local equipment place. Um ok? So I'm lucky I can even figure out 1/2 the controls in this vehicle and now I'm supposed to know how to shop for a new unit??? Your kidding right??? I wouldn't know the first thing about purchasing the correct unit for my car. I'm sure I can figure it out but seriously?

So after i hyperventilate for 30 minutes I called the local Lexus dealer and asked for their parts department. I get this very nice guy on the phone who asks for my VIN number and he begins to tell me about Lexus exchange program. Ok this sounds good but what's this going to cost me?? Well surprise surprise it's not one million dollars plus my first born child.

I was quoted $699.00 for the unit with a $150 install fee and it includes a 12 month warranty.

I wish i called them to begin with and then I would have saved a $100 having it shipped from New England to upstate New York.

Im still curious to know why this even happened in this car??

At least if anyone else has this issue they will know about this exchange program from lexus.

They are going to install a refurbished unit (repaired by the manufacturer) and take mine to eventually repair and sell to someone else who may have this issue (I hope no one else does; the silence is killing me) ��

Ill update after the new unit is installed.

Update 11.10.16

My local Lexus Dealership replaced the unit for $699.00 plus installation. No one can tell me what actually happened to the radio and why it just died. Lexus says that they have never seen this issue either (my dealership anyway)

It took over 3 hours for them to program it to my car and I had to call Sirius XM to cancel my subscription and turn on a new subscription for the new radio unit. They did refund me and offered a 3 month trial for the new radio.

I have a 12 month warranty on the new unit and I am hoping this will never happen again as I plan to keep my car for as long as possible.

Last edited by ndcampbell; 11-10-16 at 07:23 AM.
Old 11-09-16, 11:17 PM
RX270
Driver School Candidate

Did you ever get resolution to this? My 2010 RX audio died as well. ;(
Yes. i replaced my power amp which located below back passenger seat. i order used part from ebay. item quite expansive too. have you fix your audio problem yet?
Old 11-09-16, 11:28 PM
RX270
Driver School Candidate

Your real problem is power amp located below passenger seat at the back. im 100% sure because im having the same exact issues as yours. bought replacement part from ebay $350 refurbished unit too. Good day
Old 11-10-16, 07:09 AM
ndcampbell
Driver School Candidate

Wow! I never bothered to check the power amp that is located in the passengers seat? I searched and searched the threads for someone who may have had a similar issue with their audio and no one seemed to have the issue I was having. One day I got into the car and poof! the audio was off. I took the car to an audio expert and they shipped the entire unit to New York (United Radio) and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either so they shipped it back to me.

My only option (what I thought) was to replace the entire unit. I went back and forth and thought about purchasing the unit on Ebay or from a used parts store but decided that the best option was to go straight to the source which was the Lexus Dealership. They too couldn't figure out what was wrong with the unit so they replaced it for a whopping $699.00 plus $150.00 for installation. They gave me a 12 month warranty for it.

I didn't think there was another option so this is what I ended up doing. So where exactly is this power amp located? And I wonder why the dealership didn't know about looking at this?

I could have saved some cash if I thought this was an option.
Old 11-10-16, 08:50 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

ndcampbell: From your description of what happened it appears there was nothing wrong with your power amp as your problem was solved by replacing the head unit in the dash. If your power amp was bad, the system would not have worked with the new head unit.

Did the dealer do any testing of your old unit or just sell you a new one?
Old 11-11-16, 08:36 AM
RX270
Driver School Candidate

Wow! I never bothered to check the power amp that is located in the passengers seat? I searched and searched the threads for someone who may have had a similar issue with their audio and no one seemed to have the issue I was having. One day I got into the car and poof! the audio was off. I took the car to an audio expert and they shipped the entire unit to New York (United Radio) and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it either so they shipped it back to me.

My only option (what I thought) was to replace the entire unit. I went back and forth and thought about purchasing the unit on Ebay or from a used parts store but decided that the best option was to go straight to the source which was the Lexus Dealership. They too couldn't figure out what was wrong with the unit so they replaced it for a whopping $699.00 plus $150.00 for installation. They gave me a 12 month warranty for it.

I didn't think there was another option so this is what I ended up doing. So where exactly is this power amp located? And I wonder why the dealership didn't know about looking at this?

I could have saved some cash if I thought this was an option.
I did bring my lexus for scanning system check using computer but they fail to identify the faulty. i only able to conclude solution to my problem when i read through all the thread related to audio problem in this CL forum. my entire unit working fine except volume button lost its function either desk unit or at steering wheel. When i decided to purchase the AMP i didnt really know whether my existing amp is faulty until i install the unit i bought from ebay then everything back as good as new.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 Audio Issues