IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

A little bit about Winmax Brake Pads -

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 03:16 PM
Sameer89
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A little bit about Winmax Brake Pads -

This review was taken from FT-86Club.com, from user Moto-P. Thank you for this contribution! I enjoyed reading this so much, that I wanted to share this with the Club Lexus community. If you have any experience with Winmax Brake Pads on the ISF, please feel free to chime in.

I noticed that RR Racing has Winmax Brake Pad offerings, so I decided to try them out as I have an HPDE scheduled on October 1st at Florida International Rally and Motorsports Park, otherwise known as 'The FIRM'. I bought a full-set of Winmax W3's for my ISF and had them installed this week. They bed in VERY nicely & easily, and have very good initial bite and modulation under street driving scenarios and did experienced no fading what-so-ever during the bed-in process. I look forward to providing a more in-depth review during my HPDE this weekend. Thanks all!

Originally Posted by Moto-P
As a Winmax USA technical representative and testing engineer as well, I'll pitch in some honest advice (which is what I do regardless as I don't tarnish my own Club4AG history on account of any product)
I'm a technical rep and less a sales figure for any consulting work I do for respective manufacturer, so I will be honest in my product explanation. My smile comes from happy satisfied people who spent money with proper knowledge and got what they wanted and sought when they contemplated.
So I will post cons as well as pro's on matters, so that every product purchased does meet the needs of buyers.

Honestly here is what Winmax USA's W-Series line of brake pads provides for FRS/BRZ owners and respective application.

W1 - It is the closest application to stock braking feel, it has least amount of dust, and are silent. The braking performance is on par with stock pads, which are already very good in terms of general feel and braking power as far as OEM grade pads are concerned. What the OEM pad lacks is integrity after abuse however. The OEM pads fall apart after cooking them hard on a raceway, and while the performance was there initially, the materials that hold the brake pad friction materials tend to cook, and surface that mates the disk rotors tend to disintegrate, and feels like it is fading from heat, when it really is the integrity of the pads that are at fault. (If you haven't had this happen, you aren't braking long and hard enough in your use cycles and that's fine by parameters of OEM pad design.)

What the W1 will do for you is prevent this type of fade and while slight fading can be expected for street application brakes from high temps, the fade rate is much more consistent, predictable, and will not fall apart like the OEM brake pads. The W1 is therefore, made for those who like to abuse the car a bit further than an average consumer of generic cars, and is intended to make the car feel not too much different in day to day use. Compatible with autocrossing on stock or summer radial tires.

___

THe W2 is a step up from the W1. It still provides a very consistent feel of the stock pads, use parameters are the same, where it is mainly designed for street use, but with a lot more overhead and the most sporting of the pads that are still non-metallic. Because it is non-metallic like the W1, it has no significant dust issue or noise levels to be concerned. W2 increases driver control feel, a bit more bite, and higher temperature ranges and predictable fall off for when it does fade eventually. You get a slightly better sporting use characters, and endurance, but still without the concerns associated with racing brakes. Perhaps the best I can recommend if you are a typical casual Sunday low speed track folk, or auto-crosser, and still predominantly daily driven car, on summer radials. It is also a good economical upgrade. It's minimal requirement too, if you are a down-hill canyon enthusiast.

___

W3 is the most economical grade of so called, "metallic pads" which introduce a ton more braking control, very different bite characters that are more intended for track conditions, and use of race compound tires. If you are an avid track driver, or semi-professional autocrosser, this is where you'd start to see very positive and racing use braking forces. Of course, as with any metallic compound mix brake pads, you will encounter increased rotor wear, noises, and black dusting, and daily driven role becomes more a secondary use. It's still perfectly safe for street, as long as you can deal with dust and slight noises. Some can, others abhor it... That's just a choice for what people place as priority. W3 is VERY capable on the Sunday race scene, totally fir for those who use the brakes to 100% capacity, and driving skills to take it there. Autocrossers and canyon runners will feel a new level of control and bite, that extended consistently into very high temperature ranges. It does strike an exceleent balance for those that need a daily driven brake pad, and are not willing to forgo any performance, at cost of a bit of noise, dust, and slightly higher wear rate.

___

W4 is similar to the W3, but adds yet a bit more braking bite, and prove a bit more endurance in longer sessions.
The W4 will lap consistently, longer than W3 with similar feel.
This is also a brake pad that starts to need a bit of caution for daily drivers, as very cold braking does feel slightly looser than at proper temps that is 50~100'c that it needs to be at before it is working as designed. Not an issue once accustomed to it however, even for daily driving. It does however, wear both rotors and pads at slightly higher rate, in exchange for all that super precise braking control and constant bite at all temperatures. While application for other cars with tiny calipers like S2000 or heavier cars like Impreza the W4 is made to feel like the W3. For the FRS however, it does tend to feel a bit leaning towards being track dedicated in use, and cost-performance.

___

And your question must now be, what is W5~W7? Well they are strictly designed for track dedicated use. These are very highly specialized high-metal content pads that are made for race tire operation, and rally and endurance conditions where grueling braking forces are applied for hours on end. W5~W7 exists in 3 grades for users to balance a preferred character, and also to tailor it exactly to the needs of a particular track, and stage. AS with any brakes, it can be used for the street, but the design intention being very far from this, it will not be a very good candidate for street spec with high levels of wear, and noise, as well as inconsistent performance when they are very cold. These are all about ultimate racing environment, and there in the right elements, they are one of the best, most economical and competitive choices for serious racing teams.

______

Overall though, the Winmax brake pads are typical in feel to other Japanese made pads. Japanese brake pads have a character of its own, and use very exotic materials that are different in some ways than pads made in other regions. Each region/nation has brake pads made from whatever makes business sense due to local availabiltity and costs on the ingredients for friction materials.

In the case of Japan, most brake manufacturers including Winmax (parent firm MK Kashiyama) as welll as Project Mu, and Endless are all based in the locale of Nagano Prefecture. They have always been a center for manufacturing of exotic materials, compounds, and ceramic/ metallurgy experts from centuries ago, from pottery, to founding, blending, casting, and forging of various military tools.

This reflects on very careful approach is the character of the people who keep up the research on how to blend things for a specific use. They have a deep knowledge of what goes into a brake pad at at higher price point, and different, from other large firms elsewhere, and do have the craft of making certain pads work across a wider range of uses than would be possible with more a generic singular approach to making brake pads. The Japanese craftsmen, as well as Japan's larger consumer base, is very particular and fussy about how thing are made and how they work. And this usually has an effect on design and approach, and character of the final product to be very well thought out, and without sparing expenses where reasonable...

AS such, the Winmax Brake pads compare closely to those of more established names like Endless or Project Mu, and do feel a bit different than Hawk, Carbotech, Ferodo and similar brands from more mass-marketed European and American pads.

While at the peak performance specs, all competing and competent brake pads from various firms can show highest rated-use specs numerically, it is the range of uses below those figures, and how it feels on your feet as driver in controlling that. So while specs may seem very similar just by looking at the catalogs, what should be carefully viewed is the intrinsic of how drivers interact with the brakes is rather non-numerical.
And with Winmax W-Series, I think they hit the right balance of product choices, and price-point while giving enthusiasts a chance at getting the feel of sophisticated blends that Japanese brake pads are known for.

Bottom line, basically is that while cheaper or more expensive pads will perform to expectations on what is stated on catalogs, but how they feel getting there, is something that is an art of the manufacturers and their craftsmen. For the Japanese made pads like Winmax, there is that character that is unique, and this is really the element where people might pay a premium over less costly ones, or forgo more expensive ones in the same breath.

Any good brake pads from any reputable makers is a good choice, as long as you bought what you needed for the intended role, and the choice suffices or exceeds the expectations. Winmax is just one of them among many.

Last edited by Sameer89; 09-29-16 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-29-16, 05:20 PM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I love the w4's. I agree with the bit about initial bite during colder weather, but easy to adapt to. The only reason why I switched to regular textar pads is due to the super aggressive wear on my rotors. I really do miss the initial bite of the w4's compared to the textars.
Old 09-29-16, 06:37 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

OP you beat me to the punch! I was actually going to start a thread on the Winmax pads. I had mine installed this past Sunday. So far I can tell they're really good. My tech told me not to push the car for the next 200 miles. As the new rotors mate to the pads.

What bedding process did you utilize? My passenger fronts are starting to squeal like a school bus...lol. I already over exceeded the 200 miles. I haven't had the need to slam the brakes but I can tell they're biting really good. I also utilized the same information you posted above as resource.
Old 09-29-16, 06:56 PM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

@SoulFreak which type did you go with, W4's??
Old 09-30-16, 03:57 AM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5280ISF
@SoulFreak which type did you go with, W4's??
I knew someone would ask...lol. I wanted the W1 as they compete with Project Mu NC400. They bite a little better than OEM and are known for street driving and low dust. The problem was they didn't have a full set. So I paid for a full set of W2's. Prior to install, the tech brings to my attention I have W3 pads front and W4 pads for rears I was a bit confused at first but, I soon realized someone made a mistake. It was crunch time, so they went on.
Old 10-01-16, 07:57 AM
5280ISF
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
I knew someone would ask...lol. I wanted the W1 as they compete with Project Mu NC400. They bite a little better than OEM and are known for street driving and low dust. The problem was they didn't have a full set. So I paid for a full set of W2's. Prior to install, the tech brings to my attention I have W3 pads front and W4 pads for rears I was a bit confused at first but, I soon realized someone made a mistake. It was crunch time, so they went on.
Thanks, how's it driving with the mismatched pads? Could the higher friction material in the back help at all with the braking bias? Where did you get the pads from? RR? Were the boxes mislabeled?

@Sameer, thanks for the helpful info! I may look into these further for my next set.
Old 10-01-16, 10:02 AM
mindcrime
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the W2 pads, but haven't installed them yet as I still need new rotors.
Old 10-01-16, 06:18 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by 5280ISF
Thanks, how's it driving with the mismatched pads? Could the higher friction material in the back help at all with the braking bias? Where did you get the pads from? RR? Were the boxes mislabeled?

@Sameer, thanks for the helpful info! I may look into these further for my next set.
The car feels fine. I had mismatched pads before this setup, Textars front and OEM rears. I tried my best to hold off on the 200 miles like the tech recommended but couldn't resist. I was in the triple digit mark, in no time. I never slam on the brake pedal. I gradually modulate it and apply pressure depending on the scenario. He was right though, at first my brake pedal felt as if I had no brakes and little by little the pedal felt stronger and stronger. There noisy like school bus brakes.

Im not sure about your second question? If I'm not mistaken the fronts do most of the work. Ideally, you definitely want the same compound on all four corners to ensure even wear and optimal performance. Yes, I got the pads from RR Racing. I honestly can't remember about the boxes being mislabeled. I want to say no, I recall everything being packaged all together. I was overly excited to finally give my business to RR Racing for obvious reasons.

I conducted a lot of research prior to all purchases that day. I had blown a little over 1k in a matter of mins. I had bought all the 60k service supplies, with the addition of rear tires and several other items. You could only imagine the amount of packages that were delivered. I just took a glance at things and set them aside, prior to me having them installed. The tech gave me a call and verified with me the pad compound because I had told him otherwise.
Old 10-01-16, 06:22 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by mindcrime
I bought the W2 pads, but haven't installed them yet as I still need new rotors.
If you want to stick to the OEM brembos. I highly recommend you get all four corners from EBay seller partscontainer. I sent them a private message on lowest price. They replied real quick! they let them go for $390 shipped brand new. It was delivered in less than 48hrs.
Old 10-02-16, 08:41 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SoulFreak
If you want to stick to the OEM brembos. I highly recommend you get all four corners from EBay seller partscontainer. I sent them a private message on lowest price. They replied real quick! they let them go for $390 shipped brand new. It was delivered in less than 48hrs.
I also recommend parts container. Bought front Brembos at a ridiculously low price of $230.
Old 10-02-16, 08:52 AM
kzlflash
Intermediate

I know this isn't even a fair comparison since I'm comparing two pads on opposite sides of the spectrum, but man do I miss the initial bite and overall stopping power of the w4's vs. textar pads I recently put on. I originally decided to go with textar's to save on rotor life and to reduce some noise, but now that I've been driving on the pads for a few hundred miles and comparing it to the w4, I think I might just switch back. The initial bite and overall stopping power with the textars just isn't there. It's been a long time since I've used OEM style pads so it was a bit of a shock getting use to switching back. Plus, the textars still make noise, so it's not like it completely eliminates that problem. If anyone is interested in buying textar pads, keep an eye out in the FS section, I'll probably be posting these pads up in a week or two.
Old 10-02-16, 12:35 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,829 Likes on 1,291 Posts

I'm assuming you folks know that Brembo doesn't make pads, they make Calipers. Have any of you folks considered Ferodo DS2500 or PM +800 (dual purpose pads) or PM NS400 for the street? Check out forum sponsor:

http://speedfreaksusa.com

Lou
Old 10-03-16, 08:43 AM
Dnfwm
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would try the winmax's next time around simply for another experience. Like flowrider mentioned about the other brakes, also awesome choices. I run Project MU HC800+ that I bought from speed freaks and I think they are awesome. When you are driving around the streets they feel like the stockers and are not really noisy, however, build a little heat in them and oh my god, the stopping power is insane! Extremely dusty under track use, but not dusty under normal driving.
Old 10-03-16, 02:14 PM
SoulFreak
Instructor

Originally Posted by flowrider
I'm assuming you folks know that Brembo doesn't make pads, they make Calipers. Have any of you folks considered Ferodo DS2500 or PM +800 (dual purpose pads) or PM NS400 for the street? Check out forum sponsor:

http://speedfreaksusa.com

Lou
Yes Lou, I remember you correcting me on the OEM pads not being made by Brembo. Just to be clear I was referring the $390 to the rotors. Are they not made by Brembo either? My box labeling said otherwise and Made in Italy...I don't want to misinform anyone. I considered Ferodo by your review and others. I canceled them off because at the time of purchase I wanted a complete set. Funny, how I didn't end up with a complete set either way.

I read amazing things on the Project Mu's HC800. I did stick to RR Racing though, I honestly wanted to help support those guys one way or another. It made it convenient for me as well because I purchased several other items from them at the same time. I'm really falling in love with the Winmax pads. I had an abrupt stop in traffic this afternoon. I went from 80 to 0, In no time bumper to bumper. The bite was splendid to say the least and that was just a slight application of the pedal.