GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

JZS161 2JZGTE conversion engine to body harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 01:04 AM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JZS161 2JZGTE conversion engine to body harness

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has any info on wiring a 2JZ into JZS161.

I have 1998 GS and an aristo halfcut and was wondering how much work is involved patching the engine harness to the body.

I have read a bit online but any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-26-16, 07:59 AM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What have you read? The body plugs on the ECU are the same. There is no patching to be done except for the tachometer signal, which is covered in multiple places on this forum.
Old 07-26-16, 09:13 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by iToaster
What have you read? The body plugs on the ECU are the same. There is no patching to be done except for the tachometer signal, which is covered in multiple places on this forum.
lol i dont even know why you responded to that, you know he didnt actually read anything or he would know that info
Old 07-26-16, 06:24 PM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iToaster
Hey mate,

So far I know I have to use the JDM ignitor (Was going to anyway) to get tacho working. Have to add wire from empty slot in ignitor (3rd from left) to plug in ECM box.

Have to use JDM Orange and Grey termination plugs instead of GS Orange and black plugs make shiftlock correctly.

Thats pretty much all I have read so far.

Anything I am missing???

Old 07-26-16, 06:25 PM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
lol i dont even know why you responded to that, you know he didnt actually read anything or he would know that info
Thanks for your help mate.

Got my build on the road heaps quicker.
Old 07-26-16, 08:00 PM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimricard
Hey mate,

So far I know I have to use the JDM ignitor (Was going to anyway) to get tacho working. Have to add wire from empty slot in ignitor (3rd from left) to plug in ECM box.

Have to use JDM Orange and Grey termination plugs instead of GS Orange and black plugs make shiftlock correctly.

Thats pretty much all I have read so far.

Anything I am missing???
The ignitors are the same, it doesn't matter which one you use. The termination caps go on part of the engine harness that clips in the ECU box, so it isn't so much "swapping" them as it is keeping them with the respective harness. The electrical portion of this swap is pretty simple, although in general it is a fairly easy swap.
Old 08-07-16, 04:43 AM
Jimricard
Driver School Candidate

Cheers Toaster,

Have done the transplant now and have had a quick look over the ECM plugs. Firstly the grey plug that mounts at the front of the GS300 ECM has no port on the Aristo (2JZGTE) ECM which I have read is normal and is not required, Almost all colours match on the 2x white body harness plugs behind the grey plug. 3 wires do not match between the 2 cars and the aristo has a lot of empty pins compared to the GS300. Other issue I have come across is the thermos fan wiring is different. I endeavour to do more reading in order to keep sakataj from commenting but thanks for your help so far champ.
Old 08-09-16, 06:18 PM
vijayn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey there

I have done the transplant last year and here is some stuff i gathered while I was doing the swap.
Attached is the list of things I needed to do (but not limited to).

About the radiator
I tried to use the factory GS300 radiator but it wasn't cooling it properly, it would often go right up to 98 degrees C before the fan would turn on and would take a while before it would cool it down. So I decided to install the Aristo radiator, however it required me to do some custom wiring to make it work.
These two sites should help you get going (just use google translate to translate to english):
https://www.drive2.ru/l/7282495/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/7296590/

Let me know if you need any help with the wiring side.

Regarding the grey plug, my swap had that plug which I just plugged in so I didn't have an issue there. That one is for the security of the car. You have an 2jzgte ecu that doesn't have an immobilizer.
Old 08-09-16, 06:23 PM
vijayn
Driver

Sorry here's that file: It contains stuff from other people as well.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
Gs300 to 2jzgte build.docx (273.2 KB, 657 views)
Old 08-11-16, 10:38 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vijayn
Hey there

I have done the transplant last year and here is some stuff i gathered while I was doing the swap.
Attached is the list of things I needed to do (but not limited to).

About the radiator
I tried to use the factory GS300 radiator but it wasn't cooling it properly, it would often go right up to 98 degrees C before the fan would turn on and would take a while before it would cool it down. So I decided to install the Aristo radiator, however it required me to do some custom wiring to make it work.
These two sites should help you get going (just use google translate to translate to english):
https://www.drive2.ru/l/7282495/
https://www.drive2.ru/l/7296590/

Let me know if you need any help with the wiring side.

Regarding the grey plug, my swap had that plug which I just plugged in so I didn't have an issue there. That one is for the security of the car. You have an 2jzgte ecu that doesn't have an immobilizer.
Great links for others to see the minor wiring change needed to run the aristo fans. But in general the GS cooling system is way more than adequate to cool a GTE swap even with a mild Single turbo upgrade of 500hp..

These are 11-18y/o cars can easily have cooling system problems. Clogged radiator and heater cores are common... Even converting to a used Aristo radiator is the same issue as it will also be 11-19y/o..

I just want to make sure these guys here understand using a different radiator is not required, and the cooling performance of the Aristo Radiator vs the GS radiator is equal, as other than the top hose connection being in a slightly different spot they are essentially identical. And the Aristo radiator itself isn't an upgrade.

The Aristo fans on the other hand are slightly different, and have the additional speed controller, which is why the wiring modification is required. And unfortunately the Aristo fans don't bolt to the GS radiator as the holes don't line up, so to do one you have to do both. And also guys keep in mind the Aristo coolant resivoir in behind the grill/bumper right where you want to mount a front mount intercooler, and the GS coolant tank is integrated into the fan shroud, so that is something you would need to deal with as well if using the aristo setup.

It's not really worth the hassle for minimal gain. A new GS denso radiator, Stock fans, 100% clean heater core, new waterpump, thermostat, cap, and proper ratio of Toyota Red will cool 500hp in hot summers without any concern, it's done all the time.. If the car is still overheating there is another problem, and 'better' fans are just a band-aid to the real underlying problem.

If one is making well over 500hp and a top condition GS cooling system/fans can't keep up, then you would be beyond the capability of the slight upgrade of the Aristo fans at that point as well, and the time and money is more beneficial to be used to upgrading to a proper aftermarket Aluminum radiator, Fans, and Fan Shroud, which would only need to be wired to the two stock fan plugs, nothing to do with wiring the feedback wires to the ecu is needed.

Vijayin, no offense intended to your post, the links are great as that wiring diagram is very valuable to the community for those that would like to see it! Again, I get so many pm's and emails about Aristo stuff already, I want the guys to understand the Aristo Radiator/Fans are not part of a requirement for a GTE, NA-T, or Mild Single Turbo swap. And if someone is having cooling problems under 500hp no matter the outdoor temps there is real hardware issue in the existing setup, and that the Aristo Fans are not the goto 'fix', they need to find the real cause, weather it's failing cooling system parts or a leaky headgasket...

Old 08-11-16, 01:52 PM
vijayn
Driver

Hey 99 GS3, thanks for that info. Your perfectly right about other issues that can affect a radiator not operating efficiently. I had the 2JZGE radiator in my GS300 for as long as I've owned it ( 2 - 3years) with no problems, I serviced it and found no issues with it during that time. This overheating problem only came about when I used it in my 2JZGTE swap.
If you compare the two radiators together, they are not identical and would not have the same cooling abilities. The Aristo version has a thicker core, bigger fans and shroud and two duty controlled motors, with heavier gauge wires and higher rated fuses. And not surprisingly the radiator is heavier too. Depending on how hot the engine gets, the thermister sends a signal to the ECU on the exact temperature, the ECU then sends out a duty cycle to the fan controllers to cool the radiator. Its a much more efficient system than the on / off type in the GS300.
There's absolutely going to be a difference in heat generation from a non turbo to a turbo engine. This is why Toyota have installed a better cooling system for the 2jzgte engine compared to a 2jzge.
I am not saying that you must install the Aristo radiator as part of the swap, but I do highly recommend it over the GS300 radiator.

Another question to ask is the US version GS300 radiator the same as the Jap version GS300 radiator? As I have the Jap version since I'm in NZ.

Last edited by vijayn; 08-11-16 at 02:45 PM.