Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

I finally began my HID project...here's what happenning (results and photos)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-03, 09:45 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb I finally began my HID project...here's what's happenning (results and photos)

Before I begin with what I consider a lengthy post...let me be the first to inform you that attempting to do a first generation ES300 retrofit (regardless of which brand projector used) without any consideration for an allowance of time (several hours) and care is not good for you. This project...when done right does take time to do. Each lamp could be anywhere from 3 to 6+ hours (if never done before) and could possibly go even longer if the person has never done this type of work before (like myself). OK....With that said...please allow me a few minutes to draft up a written version of what took place for me this past Thursday night.

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-09-03 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-09-03, 10:39 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Ok...I finally did the dew on my ES300 Thursday night. I officially began that day around 6PM. After removing the left headlamp and beginning the oven heating process to separate the silicon sealant that holds it, we were ready to separate the front portion from the black plastic.

You guys are right taking these things apart takes brute strength but can be done. Lexus did an awesome job on weather proofing these things but never the less, they came apart with some patience. **Now the first test involved removing the metal projector holding assembly from the back plastic mount of the headlamp. This was one of the main problems we ran into that took some time. After a call to Amrit and some patience, we prevailed. Initially, it took me and a couple friends over an hour figuring out how to separate this thing while preserving the aiming screws on the back of the black plastic.

For some reason or another, the silver steel screw on the center of the black plastic didn’t want to let go…even after screwing as far as it would go and pulling as hard as two humans would.

After toiling and some more force were applied, we finally got the thing separated. The next step was to remove both high beam and low beam projectors and begin the cutting necessary to insert the Audi A6 ones into the low-beam portion of the steel holder. With some powerful cutting of the Black and Decker Rotary saw and like 11 wheels, I was able to finally hollow out the cylinder to the point we could insert the A6 projector into the assembly. Now it was time to do some preliminary aiming to see how these things should be wire-tied and secured into position. At this point it was really getting late but it was no turning back now. After having to explain that NO my lights aren’t stolen and prove I’m not insane 1000 times to some girls that came over, I was finally able to take these shots. (**Check repsonses below)
Now its about 4 AM and its time to put everything back together. Here’s where it gets interesting….let’s see…I began around 6, ran into some roadblocks… overcame them and now….was about to face the biggest problem of all. Guys…imagine you got the perfect aim, the perfect beam pattern and everything. Your stuff is tied so tight with the cable ties that it would take a hurricane flipping your car over in order for the beam to become incorrectly aimed and everything. On top of this...it’s now 5 AM. BUT….the black plastic part does not have enough room to take the round bowl of the A6 projector assembly. You try numerous methods to install the thing but it just won’t fit….What do you do? You maintain your dignity, reassemble your headlamp, and get you hands on some projectors that fit. Egainer was right…the bowl is way too big for the ES assembly. You would have to like saw the plastic and do many mods thus rendering your light a candidate for severe moisture and THAT I cannot have. So now here I am. In need of some progs that will fit my head lamps. DOES ANYONE and I repeat…ANYONE have a set of Audi TT or BMW 3 series projectors that have smaller bowls willing to trade? I have a set of excellent working condition Audi A6 projectors with pics to prove it. Please let me know…as I’m stuck in a bind and cannot drive that much longer with my highbeams on because my left lowbeams are out. Thanks for reading all this and more importantly, if you can help in any way.
Mike T.

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-10-03 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-09-03, 10:40 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

one more aiming shot...taken with the camera's flash on...

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-10-03 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-09-03, 11:38 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Where there's a will there's a way. Cut the back just enough to clear the cylinder and seal it up real good with some silicon when it's together. That's what I would do and will do if I have problems with mine. (crosses fingers ) I figure it's too late to turn back now, I'll do what it takes to make it work.

BTW, your pics didn't work for me, but maybe it's just me.
Old 03-10-03, 09:55 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Here's the problem...I wanted to do this too, but the main reason why this is not going to be the case is because when the back is cut out, there still isn't enough clearance to push the whole projector into the space to close the enitre headlamp. The only way this method would work is to somehow expand the plastic in the black plastic part wide enough for the bowl to fit in. However, this would greatly destort the black plastic part to the point it wouldn't even fit with the front part anymore. Guys, the bowl is too big. I would have to seperate and cut out that entire section of the black plastic part, create a new mount, and grab loads of silicone to seal up the exposed area that would be created just trying to shove this thing in. I would rather find some HID progs that are good enough with the same of better quality ( cuttoff colors, ect)
that would fit into the hole..like Amrit's or themasta3's ES300s.

Do a search for their ES300 Audi TT retrofits. Those progs fit the bill and are the ones I'm going after next. I hear the E39s are too big for our cyliders. Is this true? I only ask this because I've come across two different kinds of E39 progs...one with a wide bowl and one that appears to have a smaller one as the Audi TT variaty. Any ideas....
Old 03-10-03, 10:41 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

The E39 projectors will fit in the cylinders, they just won't slip right in once you remove the cutoffs like the Audi TT's. I'm kinda working in uncharted territory, but I know it'll work if I persevere, nothing's as easy as you think it'll be. I'm gonna take pics of the process when I do the second light, I'm still working on the first one at the moment.
Old 03-10-03, 12:00 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

here's some pics so you guys could see what I'm working with:

1. Showing how pathetic our Factory halogens are in contrast to the superior HID projectors

2. Showing what spectators would see when their eyes catch the color of the cuttoff portion of the beam like the camera did...

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-10-03 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-10-03, 07:05 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Well, the pics looked great, too bad it's not working; best of luck finding something that will be better. I'm going to start working on mine again in a few minutes, hoping to have the first projector in place tonight but I'm not rushing it.

Just for reference, the reflector bowl on my E39's is real close in size to stock, I don't think it'll be a problem.
Old 03-10-03, 08:24 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Yeah keep us posted. If it fits for you, I'll grab a set. It sux driving with one lamp out OR having to ride with the high beams because the cuttoff for the low beam is officially gone. Now I have two high beams on one side? LOL Either way it goes, at least I was able to clean out the glass for the progs on that side. GOD those things were grimy and brown looking. Nothing a little Windex couldn't fix
GOOD LUCK!!!

POST PICS!!!!

BTW I have my items listed on the "bay" with the E in front. You cannot find it through a search yet but they should be accessable in a few hours. The item number for my progs is: 2406953959
l8tr
Old 03-10-03, 10:45 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Spent about 2 hours cutting and grinding at the cylinders earlier, still not quite there. The lens of the projector fit through the cylinder, but the 3 legs connecting it to the reflector bowl didn't. I've cut three slots most of the way through the cylinder to accomodate those legs, it'll work that way; just have to cut a little more to get it positioned correctly. The second one will go alot easier since I know what I'm doing now, I'll take pics of that whole process.

I'm almost 100% sure the E39's are gonna work for me, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It's gonna be alot more tedious and labor intensive than some smaller projectors. You could go with the 3 series or Audi TT units and cut a ring off the back of the cylinder so that they sit in the right position, they'll still be smaller but I think they'd look alot better if they're not set back in the cylinder. I guess my main motivation with the E39's was that they'd be a closer match to the high beams when the lights are off, the lens is a little closer in size. Don't know if I can say I'd still go this route knowing what a pain it's ending up being.
Old 03-10-03, 10:57 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Welcome to the club brother. Lets just try and wrap things up before its too late. Especially if you have to be at work in the morning. Post pics of how you cut to get the legs to fit. Did you unscrew them from the bowl portion to make the fit work? I ended up posting mine for sale on the bay with the E in front. I guess we're not supposed to mention that word. I hear its banned! LOL
L8tr

BTW....Do your progs look life this:

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/506/3898i-1.jpg

or this

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/506/3898i-3.jpg

Last edited by tiguy99; 03-10-03 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-11-03, 10:11 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Mine are the one in the second pic. I don't have a digital camera so it'll be a little while before pics could be up, have to use a roll of film and have it developed. On the cutting, if you see those three legs between the lens and reflector bowl in the Hella projector, I cut slots from the back of the factory cylinder toward the front most of the way through where each of those legs need to go through. This way the projector slid in from the back until it fit right. I didn't have to take the Hella projector apart, I'd be scared to mess with that and screw up any of the optic properties. I'll have pics eventually if it's hard to picture from that description. I'm not in a huge rush to get this done since I'm driving another car anyway, but I'd like to have the first side done within a day or two, but it all depends on how much time I get to work on it.
Old 03-11-03, 01:17 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Let me ask you this...with the modifications done right now, is it possible for you to to close the unit with the cylinder mounted onto the black plastic? Also, is it possible for you to close up the front clear plastic part and make everything fit with the modifications you have made? This is a good discovery. How difficult was it for you to shave those spaces in the cylinder for you to squeeze that projector into the hold long enough for it fit? Keep us posted and ohh yeah..pics wouldn't hurt either.
Mike
Old 03-11-03, 06:23 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

I know this subject has been discussed before, but why don't we use our stock projectors?? All I've heard is that the stock ones don't work too well with hid.

-c
Old 03-11-03, 06:50 PM
cheapsk8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 'my stupidness'

please ignore my previous post, I've found the answer.......that's what happens when you post a reply before reading the new threads....

-c

Quick Reply: I finally began my HID project...here's what happenning (results and photos)