Lexus Audio, Video, Security & Electronics
Sponsored by:

Best Sub set up for GS430, tight SQ bass??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-05, 12:39 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Sub set up for GS430, tight SQ bass??

Hey guys, I had my system set up recently. I saw some people on this site have this set up, so I went with that. I had 1 cu ft sealed box built for my Infinity Perfect and I had shop bolt it underneath the rear deck firing 4 inches away from the stock hole through the stock hole. The bass was not bad, but I did not like the sub, so I sold it and gto the new Boston G5-GTR 12" instead, let me tell you, what a great sub!! like night and day. The shop sells both JL and Boston and said that this sub is so great that the only JL that beats it in SPL is the W7!! Anyway, I got that one instead put into my box. Anywhere I went they said that this set up is not correct and the placement of the box is no good due to cancelation of the sound waves. And it would be better to put it firing towards the trunk lid, sealed sitting on the floor. They took it off and I heard it. It was nice. More impectful and not distorted as I thought it would sound. They said they can built a new box and have a the amps mounted flashed on the custom panel along the sides of the box and have the stock sub hole opened to let the bass into the cabin?!I had my previous Acura set up with 2 Rockford 10" sealed firing towards the trunk, and I thought it was too distorted. I see a lot of people on this site having a ported box and using stock sub hole as a port. Any ideas?? What would be the best set up to get SQ and tight bass, not boomy. I never heard ported box sound in the car, how does it sound? Also can you guys show me some pics of your set up if you have them.. I heard SQ comp Audi S4 car in one of the shops in NJ. They had 2 15" new Rockford Power series subs sitting free-air/infinite baffle on the custom fiberglass rear deck completely sealed of from the trunk, I guess thats the hole trick with IF set up, to seal it correctly. And let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever heard. Sounded so powerfull, impectfull, clean, total SQ.. And I thought my ears would pop.. lol.. But a lot of people on forums say SQ is just not correct?!!
Attached Thumbnails Best Sub set up for GS430, tight SQ bass??-1_001.jpg  
Old 08-25-05, 03:42 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

any suggestions are welcome guys, some pics would be great..
Old 08-27-05, 10:49 AM
GSXLEX
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im about to upgrade to these....

http://imagedynamicsusa.com/products...d=idq&type=sub
Old 08-27-05, 04:21 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

those are nice.. I love my new sub.. i was just looking for encolsure type, what is best for SQ, tight bass with utilizing the stock sub hole.. how GS owners with ported boxes use the stock hole as a port? and how does it sound? i was thinking with redoing my box to a sealed box facing the trunk lid sitting on the floor, current box does not fit in the back by the seat, and wanted to built a flush panel covering the box, mounting amps on both sides of the box flushed and an opening on the panel where the stock hole is, so bass could get into the cabin? any suggestions, or go with ported?
Old 08-27-05, 09:12 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A sealed enclosure will give you tight bass. A ported enclosure will sound a little louder but will require a bigger box. Sealed boxes sound good. When you remove your OEM sub you will have a port that will help the bass get into the cabin. Have you ever noticed that SUVs with subwoofer system, you can actually feel the bass when they hit.
Old 08-28-05, 11:34 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

so you saying if i have a sealed box facing the trunk sitting on the floor of the trunk and have a stock sub hole opened, i will get that bass in better then I have now, when me box is bolted to the rear deck shooting straight through the stock hole?!
Old 09-01-05, 05:19 PM
isnot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 JL 10w3's in a sealed box powered off a JL mono amp would do the trick
Old 09-02-05, 02:12 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
Hey guys, I had my system set up recently. I saw some people on this site have this set up, so I went with that. I had 1 cu ft sealed box built for my Infinity Perfect and I had shop bolt it underneath the rear deck firing 4 inches away from the stock hole through the stock hole. The bass was not bad, but I did not like the sub, so I sold it and gto the new Boston G5-GTR 12" instead, let me tell you, what a great sub!! like night and day. The shop sells both JL and Boston and said that this sub is so great that the only JL that beats it in SPL is the W7!! Anyway, I got that one instead put into my box. Anywhere I went they said that this set up is not correct and the placement of the box is no good due to cancelation of the sound waves. And it would be better to put it firing towards the trunk lid, sealed sitting on the floor. They took it off and I heard it. It was nice. More impectful and not distorted as I thought it would sound. They said they can built a new box and have a the amps mounted flashed on the custom panel along the sides of the box and have the stock sub hole opened to let the bass into the cabin?!I had my previous Acura set up with 2 Rockford 10" sealed firing towards the trunk, and I thought it was too distorted. I see a lot of people on this site having a ported box and using stock sub hole as a port. Any ideas?? What would be the best set up to get SQ and tight bass, not boomy. I never heard ported box sound in the car, how does it sound? Also can you guys show me some pics of your set up if you have them.. I heard SQ comp Audi S4 car in one of the shops in NJ. They had 2 15" new Rockford Power series subs sitting free-air/infinite baffle on the custom fiberglass rear deck completely sealed of from the trunk, I guess thats the hole trick with IF set up, to seal it correctly. And let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever heard. Sounded so powerfull, impectfull, clean, total SQ.. And I thought my ears would pop.. lol.. But a lot of people on forums say SQ is just not correct?!!
They were probably complaining about the 4" of space to the deck. But there is NOTHING wrong with mounting the box under the deck. Sealed boxes are better for SQ than ported. Ported will give you more output SPL at the slight expense of SQ, bass will tend to be more peakey, or looser, or both.
Sounds to me like you don't even wnat pure SQ, you want combination of both SQ and SPL. Ported may be better for you. Aiming the woofer into the cabin through the stock hole is best for SQ. Aiming it at the trunk lid or the rear may give you more loudness BUT WILL NOT BE BETTER SQ. It will vibrate other body panels of your car more, giving the perception of more loudness, but you will have some distortion and delay with it. Decide whether you want loud. You may want a second woofer in a 2-woofer box facing the rear if you want loud.
Old 09-02-05, 03:19 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

engin_ear, that is what i thought, i will point it back through the whole, right now it is facing the trunk floor hanging from the rear deck, it is too boomy.. I will flip it back.. since i have 4 inch space between rear deck whole and the woofer hanging and shooting through stock hole, i was thinking to get like a foam place it around the woofer so it closes that gap between box and stock hole?! any idea if that will work well, and will help sound cancelation that escapes through that hole.. or it is a waste?
Old 09-02-05, 11:00 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The foam will help. It will be difficult to do though. Try it.