RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Brake Pedal Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 01:40 PM
foot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pedal Noise

We have a 2004 330. Since day one, we have experienced a rather loud thunk every time the brake pedal is released. After MANY exasperating phone calls and dealer experiences, we have been flatly told by Lexus customer service that this is entirely normal. This is quite troubling due to the cost of the vehicle, and the fact that I have never owned another vehicle with this defect. I couldn't even persuade the National Lexus Customer Service to perform an independant assessment, they just sided with the dealer.
QUESTIONS - Is this noise really normal for all of you other owners? Does Lexus treat customers this way?
Old 03-09-05, 01:50 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think that's normal. Ask to test drive another RX330 with their tech to see if you can hear the noise.

Could be just another assembly issue.
Old 03-09-05, 02:31 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

On my RX300, I usually hear a sound like a clunk after 1) wet weather and 2) inside my garage when I move forward and backward. However, this is so normal that Lexus said nothing about it when I asked. Yet, brakes work like a charm down here.

A few years ago I switch brake fluids from Toyota to Valvoline Powersyn. I recently tried Castrol SRF (expensive stuff). Was good fluid when I did autocross, but not good for street driving, so I switched back to Valvoline.

Last edited by Lexmex; 03-10-05 at 05:56 AM.
Old 03-09-05, 07:17 PM
foot
Driver School Candidate

More info on the noise - when I took the car in and got a loaner vehicle................ no noise. The service coordinator rode in the vehicle with me. I have explained both of these facts to the dealer and to Lexus Customer Service and it is like I am speaking a foreign language, they just ignore it. I know that Toyota's culture is averse to variablility, so I don't understand.
I am interested in your's and other owner's views.
Old 03-09-05, 08:23 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Apparently this dealer don't give a hoot. Take it to another Lexus dealer.

Some Lexus dealer service dept. are scum. I had bad experience with mine back in NY. The one near me in Colorado is outstanding.
Old 03-11-05, 02:06 AM
NeverSatisfied
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by foot
We have a 2004 330. Since day one, we have experienced a rather loud thunk every time the brake pedal is released.
Is this happening while cruising or accelerating from a stop?
Old 03-11-05, 05:19 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is not normal. Off the top of my head I don't recall hearing any thunk or noise when pressing/depressing the brake pedal. Other people on this forum hate to hear it but Lexus really is living on its past when it comes to customer service. Yes, they did a wonderful job building its reputation and many are still quite good, and better than most dealers out there, but more often they are more willing to give you the run around or simply say it is normal. They are all nice to you when you are at the dealer, but the actual serive being done is no better than most other dealerships now days.

If I were you I would just tell them to make your car sound like the loaner you test drove with no problems. Or ask them to explain why yours makes noise but the others don't.

I'm just ranting here, but this "Normal" talk has beeing going around lately with dealers, Think about it, if the new GS headlight condensation problem is normal, and the thunking brake pedal is normal, and all the other little things that pop up is normal, is this really the perception that Lexus wants? Who the heck would want to buy a car like that. They should make it their new ad campaign.

Last edited by CK6Speed; 03-11-05 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-11-05, 08:38 AM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
This is not normal. Off the top of my head I don't recall hearing any thunk or noise when pressing/depressing the brake pedal. Other people on this forum hate to hear it but Lexus really is living on its past when it comes to customer service.
From my personal experience, Lexus service quality varies drastically from one dealership to another. If you don't like the service, chances are you'll find better elsewhere.

Here are the good : Kuni Lexus (CO) Burt Toyota (CO)
The bad : Stevinson Lexus (CO)
The ugly : Rallye Lexus (NY)
Old 03-11-05, 09:31 AM
RXGOLD
Rookie

We have a 2004 330. Since day one, we have experienced a rather loud thunk every time the brake pedal is released. After MANY exasperating phone calls and dealer experiences, we have been flatly told by Lexus customer service that this is entirely normal. This is quite troubling due to the cost of the vehicle, and the fact that I have never owned another vehicle with this defect. I couldn't even persuade the National Lexus Customer Service to perform an independant assessment, they just sided with the dealer.
QUESTIONS - Is this noise really normal for all of you other owners? Does Lexus treat customers this way?
I have the same problem on my 2005 RX330 with 2k miles on it. When I release the brake pedal immediately, at a stop sign for instance, I hear this thunk noise. Now, if I release it slowly with my foot on the brake pedal I don't hear it. But, that doesn't make any sense,.....I don't think this is normal. I will mention it to the dealer when I hit 5k for my complimentary oil change.
Old 03-11-05, 09:53 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HarrierAWD
From my personal experience, Lexus service quality varies drastically from one dealership to another. If you don't like the service, chances are you'll find better elsewhere.

Here are the good : Kuni Lexus (CO) Burt Toyota (CO)
The bad : Stevinson Lexus (CO)
The ugly : Rallye Lexus (NY)
I hear exactly what you are saying. In my case though there is only one dealer in my state. I have nowhere else to go. It itsn't bad, just not the mythical Lexus great.
Old 03-11-05, 10:18 AM
jcg
Rookie

Default Brake pedal noise

I have the same problem on my 2004. It makes a clunking noise when the brake pedal is released. Seems to me that they left out some sort of noise deadener from whatever stops the release travel of the pedal. I did not have this noise on my 2000 RX. I believe this to be the result of "save a dime here & there". Another example is the rear wiper. It doesn't clean the upper half of the glass and doesn't flip out anymore as the RX300's did. Another dime saved but a bucks worth of customer satisfaction lost. Lexus isn't making any friends when they do this.
Old 03-11-05, 08:01 PM
foot
Driver School Candidate

Thanks to all who cared to offer comments.
Well, some encouraging news, I took it to a different dealer and talked to the service manager. He indeed heard the noise, and could replicate it at will (as I can do). He is ordering a new master cylinder and will try replacing that to eliminate the problem. I hope he is successful.

At the end of this dilemma, I will run this up the flagpole with Lexus again, and encourage them to fix the problem with the vehicles, tune up their deaf dealer, and rethink their customer service strategy.

I'll keep this thread up to date as it develops.
Old 03-12-05, 08:41 AM
mooresinar
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake noise

I also have noticed the noise in my brake pedal...RX 330 2004. I haven't asked about it but it is irritating. I'll ask a local dealer and ask what they think about it.
Old 03-16-05, 01:24 PM
smoss
Driver School Candidate

My wife and I have 2 rx330's, both make the pedal thunk noise described when the pedal is released, although it is clearly more noticable at some times verses others, perhaps temperature dependant or something. I think it is just the way it was designed.
Old 03-16-05, 02:08 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Stuff like vibration, noise, drive-train whine, rattles, flimsy controls, etc. are OK for economy cars, but not for luxury cars. Definitely have it checked if you want to get what you pay for.

Quick Reply: Brake Pedal Noise