GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

XM Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-04, 08:59 AM
mchippo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question XM Radio

Looking for information......

Has anyone done a "custom" installation of XM Radio on their GX470? I am scheduled to have this done next week and would like to know if I am at risk of voiding my warrenty.

Here is the scoop....

In order to get a clean installation (one that does not look like an after-market add on where the radio is stuck via velcro to the dashboard), the sound shop I am using (Sound Solutions, Chantilly VA) is going to add the XM radio control (Commander Model) in the location where the Seat Heater controls, differential lock and extra 12V plug-in are located (very front of the center floor console). The sound shop will be doing the following custom work...

1) Relocating the 12v plug-in to the oversized square dummy button located on the lower right dash next to the steering column.
2) Relocating the differential lock to the rectagular, regular size dummy button located on the lower left dash next to the steering column.
3) Relocate the Left and Right Seat Heater controls into a custom face plate along with the XM Commander Radio that will be installed in place of the current heaters, 12 Volt plug in and differential lock control center. The face plate will tilt the XM radio at a more upright angle and will be colored to match the plastic greyish trim on the console.

Do you think I will void any warrenty by doing this? I plan to ask my Lexus dealer but would be interested in your opinions....

Should this work not void the warrenty....I would be happy to post pictures of the before and after results if anyone is interested.

Let me know....

Dave
Old 05-22-04, 08:46 AM
dfeldmanmt
Driver School Candidate

I had Innovative Audio (Seattle) put in the Alpine XM in the same place. The head unit is so small (4" x 1.5" or so) that nothing had to be moved, they just drillled a hole in a Lexus cover plate above the seat heater control. The XM display tiilts up for easy reading by driver or pax, control it with the remote so you do not have to reach down to the head unit with fat fingers.

Results are great, never go back to terrestial radio after cruising the empty plains or crowded cities with satellite radio. Coverage in Canadian Rockies was fine too except in the deepest valleys where the look-angle to the satellite was far less than the mountainside.

DON
Old 05-23-04, 04:48 AM
mchippo
Driver School Candidate

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and had my XM installed as described above. I will post pictures when I have a chance. And you are right....no going back to terrestrial radio.

Dave
Old 05-24-04, 08:41 AM
cab2u
Driver School Candidate

How is it wired? Did you use the FM Modulator or something better?
Old 05-24-04, 11:00 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had CarSpa of Springfield, VA install it in the same spot. We used to smaller head unit and did not have to do any drilling.

Unfortunately we had to use the FM Modulator, which I think doesn't sound great.
Old 05-24-04, 02:02 PM
dfeldmanmt
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I also used the modulator. I was not about to touch the complex interconnections they use to supply back seat and so on. Modulator is good enough for my old ears, but the range of music styles and lack of commercials more than makes up for some fidelity loss. I like jazz and classics, and neither are available --especially classics-- even in major cities.

DON
Old 05-24-04, 02:23 PM
lyxxsx1
Driver

Originally posted by dfeldmanmt
I had Innovative Audio (Seattle) put in the Alpine XM in the same place. The head unit is so small (4" x 1.5" or so) that nothing had to be moved, they just drillled a hole in a Lexus cover plate above the seat heater control. The XM display tiilts up for easy reading by driver or pax, control it with the remote so you do not have to reach down to the head unit with fat fingers.

Results are great, never go back to terrestial radio after cruising the empty plains or crowded cities with satellite radio. Coverage in Canadian Rockies was fine too except in the deepest valleys where the look-angle to the satellite was far less than the mountainside.

DON
I am thinking about doing the same. Mind if I ask you how much Innovative Audio charged you? I am also in the Seattle area. Care to share a pic or two?

Thanks!
Old 05-24-04, 05:34 PM
rkrzyston
Driver School Candidate

Default XM n SD

I heard that La Jolla audio in San Diego has figured out how to "tap" into the system .. no modulator..

Hey LJ Audio.. is that true?
Old 05-25-04, 02:32 PM
dfeldmanmt
Driver School Candidate

Innovative charges around $1000 for equipment and install. They are a class act, after spending 50K on the machine I felt they were good value for money.

I cannot find the handle to insert a couple of pics, so trying to atttach them. The antenna lead goes under the headliner and down the door post. Control head has a small hole drilled in the plastic pannel behind it for the cable bundle. Restoring the car to as built only requires this panel to be replaced.

DON
Old 05-26-04, 12:56 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by dfeldmanmt

I cannot find the handle to insert a couple of pics

DON
Don.....

Scroll down to where it says, Browse, then click......

~ Cap
Old 05-26-04, 08:55 AM
dfeldmanmt
Driver School Candidate

Lets see if this works and stays within the limit
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
lexuus_radio head.bmp (87.9 KB, 660 views)
Old 05-26-04, 09:38 AM
rkrzyston
Driver School Candidate

Default picture

Yeah it works, but is pretty small . Can you make it a jpg?

anyway... the install looks clean
Old 05-26-04, 11:14 AM
Black2003
Driver School Candidate

how does it sound through fm modulation?? do u lose a lot of quality because it is not digital??
Old 05-26-04, 04:41 PM
dfeldmanmt
Driver School Candidate

It sounds fine, as good as any FM station and hard to distinguish from CD sources.

All digital signals are converted to analog before being selected and amplified. So that is not a factor.

An FM modulator has somewhat less dynamic range than the analog signal from the CD player, audio bandwidth s about the same , you have to have experienced audio ears to hear the difference.

DON
Old 05-29-04, 10:18 AM
mchippo
Driver School Candidate

Default Installation Pictures

Here are some of my XM Radio installation pictures...
Attached Thumbnails XM Radio-1_img_sm.jpg  

Quick Reply: XM Radio