IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

I LOVE MY LEXUS!!!.........But.....(thread)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-06, 04:06 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I LOVE MY LEXUS!!!.........But.....(thread)

Ok,
I love this car, really! However, I started to notice things that's buging the hell out of me.....Like

1. The rear view mirror bouncng around while playing music....hell I can only take so much bass out of the sound ya know. (is there a fix for that?)

2. Brake dust! You figure they would at leat put a good pair of bake pads on a Lexus named car!

3. Side mirrors seem kinda big...(could be just me)

Anyone else have little thingy's that they noticed?
Old 05-30-06, 04:12 PM
casey225
Pole Position

I know this will sound girly, but, I have cashmere interior and I think the silver door handles are god awful with this interior. Couldn't they have made them black or wood grain to match lux pkg.
Old 05-30-06, 04:17 PM
WhoDat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by casey225
I know this will sound girly, but, I have cashmere interior and I think the silver door handles are god awful with this interior. Couldn't they have made them black or wood grain to match lux pkg.
I almost went with the cashmere interior .....it's so clean looking! But thought about it and went black........I feel ya!
Old 05-30-06, 05:01 PM
IS250HuNnY
Lead Lap

my rear view mirror bounces like theres no tomorrow too!!! even when my volumes kinda low (or it seems low to me) hahaha
Old 05-30-06, 05:33 PM
casey225
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS250HuNnY
my rear view mirror bounces like theres no tomorrow too!!! even when my volumes kinda low (or it seems low to me) hahaha
I've seen alot of you guys who are unhappy with this, but, I like it 'cause it means we have a kick *ss stereo. Since the cars in my rearview are getting further away, who needs it!
Old 05-30-06, 05:40 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhoDat
1. The rear view mirror bouncng around while playing music....hell I can only take so much bass out of the sound ya know. (is there a fix for that?)
This is strange but I had a 99 GS400 and noticed that the rear view mirror was REALLY solid... if I moved it, it did not make creaking noises and such in my hands, and it didn't bounce around at all no matter what pot holes I hit or what kind of bass played on the nakamichi stereo.
But when I drove the Lexus ES, RX, and IS as well as my wife's Toyota 4Runner, the rear view mirrors all sort of 'creaked' a bit when I moved them around and seemed to be susceptible to shaking a bit from bass.

It's just odd if they could make a nice quality mirror for a 50k dollar car in 1999, you'd figure they could 'trickle down' that ability over the next 8 years to slightly less expensive vehicles. I mean, the IS is only one class below the GS, as is the ES.

2. Brake dust! You figure they would at leat put a good pair of bake pads on a Lexus named car!
Welcome to the wild world of semi-metallic brake pads. It's just the name of the game. It's just a tradeoff - you get better performance, feel, and heat resistance from them, but you get brake dust too. Doesn't matter how nice or how cheap they are. My '06 Audi A4's front wheels almost look like they came painted black from the factory within 500 miles of normal driving.
Old 05-30-06, 05:41 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can see black door handles - but of course you know black door handles are associated by most with super cheap cars, these days.

But wood? Wow, that would be super gaudy. I already hate wood grain interiors, but wooden door handles (because you know Lexus would have to make them out of real wood veneer to match the rest of the interior) would not only look strange and tacky IMO, but I have to question how durable they'd be over time.
Old 05-30-06, 06:07 PM
ISMaximus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by WhoDat
I almost went with the cashmere interior .....it's so clean looking! But thought about it and went black........I feel ya!
I would have preferred black but my wife liked the cashmere. I swore after her 3-series I vowed no more tan interiors but ultimately she won.
Old 05-30-06, 06:19 PM
dana_daen
Driver

[QUOTE=WhoDat]Ok,
I love this car, really! However, I started to notice things that's buging the hell out of me.....Like

Which stereo system do you have the standard 194-watt 13 speaker, or the ML (300-watt I think....) 14 speaker. If the 14, is the woofer the same as in the standard........anybody??
Old 05-30-06, 07:26 PM
uschardcor
Lexus Test Driver

I've seen alot of you guys who are unhappy with this, but, I like it 'cause it means we have a kick *ss stereo. Since the cars in my rearview are getting further away, who needs it!
it has nothing to do with the stereo. the rear view mirror isn't mounted to the glass, but to the roof panel. as speed increase air passing over the roof panel increases its vibration which travels to the rear view.

drive around the interstate at 60,70 w/ no music and it will still shake a good bit
Old 05-30-06, 08:09 PM
nighthawk
Pole Position

I don't like the clicking noise that comes from the engine when you are idling....
Old 05-30-06, 08:15 PM
conekiller
Lead Lap

I'm less than thrilled about the same three items...unfortunately the barn-door-sized mirrors are pretty much necessary due to the relatively poor rear visibility that inevitably comes from cars with high beltlines/small windows in the back. The vibrating mirror is also something I'll be complaining about until a fix is devised.

I can't believe I haven't seen ONE complaint yet since I joined CL about the CHEAP *** CLOCK. It's right out of a freakin Tercel for crying out loud.
Old 05-30-06, 10:18 PM
larsdenner
Driver School Candidate

Well I'm coming from a 4Runner so the mirrors seem tiny and hard to use to me. Yea the mirror vibrates from the road but it doesn't bother me too much. I may take a bushing and cram it up there but it's lo po.

What bugs me is the VSC and Trac. I HATE it! I'm ready to start gutting sensors. I can kill everything including the ABS by yanking the brake sensor; but actually the ABS is pretty good on this car so I may kill the steering angle or the yaw sensor instead.

HAAA vent over and I feel better. It's an awesome car though.
Old 05-31-06, 07:21 AM
Turkoman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by conekiller
I can't believe I haven't seen ONE complaint yet since I joined CL about the CHEAP *** CLOCK. It's right out of a freakin Tercel for crying out loud.
I am with you on that one. That clock looks so out of place for this car. It says 80s and 90s. Plus, they have the clock set buttons so out there, collectively they are larger than the time display (or so it seems). I also hate the fact that you have to look down all the way to the bottom to even see the time. That is one major complaint I have. As for the others:

Cashmere interior: I love it. I think Lexus has gotten the tone right. No comparison to the BMW one which looks ultra cheap.

Brake dust: goes with having better brakes

Mirror: I can live with it. It is a result of the powerful stereo.
Old 05-31-06, 11:08 AM
Sexi_Lexi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's only a minor complaint but i agree that the cheap looking clock is out of place in such a luxurious car as the IS. Plus, when the sun hits it, you can't see anything at all unless you shield the clock. How retarded.

My other serious complaint is how little leg room there is in the back for my passengers. I don't have super long legs or anything but in order for me to sit comfortably to drive, the passenger in back of me would either have no legs or very short/small ones as there're no leg room left.

Quick Reply: I LOVE MY LEXUS!!!.........But.....(thread)