IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

1/4 Mile Race HELP Needed Please (Gernby spitting shift point knowledge, use Normal)!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-07, 08:53 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1/4 Mile Race HELP Needed Please (Gernby spitting shift point knowledge, use Normal)!

If this is already in the forums, I apologize in advance. I searched using "Launch", "Drag Racing", "Fast Start", etc and did not really find anything other than someone explaining how to brake launch. I hope everyone knows how to do that. . .

Here are the questions I have for you all:

1. When you want to race someone, do you have the PWR ECT on or off?
2. Do you turn Traction Control Off?
3. Do you use the paddle shifters or leave it in Automoatic?
4. If your brake launching, what RPM has yielded you the best results?
5. Basically, what have you all learned to make this car as quick as possible from a racing standpoint and not a mod standpoint. I understand that mods will only help.

Thank you for your help and input in advance.
Old 09-17-07, 12:27 AM
hapaboy
Lexus Champion

dunno about the 1-4 q's but you could take out the spare tire to save 30lbs.!
Old 09-17-07, 01:04 AM
Ramon
Lexus Champion

1) On
2) Off for best results
3) Leave it in auto from a dig, sport mode from a roll, but only to make sure i'm in the right gear when the race starts, then drop it back into full auto.
4) I don't brake torque
Old 09-26-07, 10:21 PM
DRIVEN1
Driver

Thank you RAMON!

Anyone else racing their IS350's that have found the best way to launch and then run through the gears? There has to be more than just Ramon racing
Old 09-26-07, 11:15 PM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

1. ECT Power ON
2. Don't take traction controll off,, unless you want to stay and spin for a couple of seconds.
3. Leave in Automatic peddle shifters slow you down
4. I've found out brake launching makes you spin with stock wheels maybe if you have a set of drag radials or slicks it might help.
5. Hope this helps!!
Old 09-26-07, 11:27 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony59blue is right, follow his advise. Theres alot more 'tips' for brackets/best times *battery relocation/lower tire pressure...ect*. Course since you only asked those questions, tony's are the answers.
Old 09-26-07, 11:39 PM
time4lexus
Pole Position

Hmm, that's interesting.
Old 09-27-07, 03:56 AM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought people were turning traction control off.
Old 09-27-07, 04:07 AM
weesped
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oblivionis
I thought people were turning traction control off.
same here, i thought traction control limited the power to the wheels? but i guess if what your saying is true it'd make sense if the tires span
Old 09-27-07, 04:27 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, leave traction control off. Wheel spin or not you don't want the car automatically throttling back when you're trying to race.
Old 09-27-07, 04:39 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

<insert smart comment here>
Old 09-27-07, 05:10 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

At WOT it doesn't matter weather the PWR ECT is on or off but it does help if you are playing on the street.

You will get your best launch if the trac control is off and the tires hook up. Any time the traction control kicks in you are losing time. The sooner you get into the power curve (above 3500 rpm) the better your times.

Get as much weight out of the vehicle as possible. Empty the trunk, try to have less then 1/4 tank of gas, etc.

Keep the trans in full auto, if you are running from the dig (from a stop). Don't use the paddle unless you are running from a roll. From a roll you want the PWR ECT on and use the manual trans option to keep the engine in the power curve for the start. Use the lowest gear that will keep you in the power curve and still leave enough time to up-shift. As soon as you go WOT, from a roll, you should select 4/5 gear and let the trans auto up-shift (this will produce the fastest shifts and allow you to concentrate on driving). You can bounce the speed limiter in 5th gear, so selecting 6th is not necessary. If you are only running a 1/4 mile, 4th gear is fine.

Brake launching can help sometimes. I don’t see any better launches doing it so why put extra stress on the drive-train.

High air pressure in the front tires and lower pressure in the rear, works best. You want to lower the rear air pressure until you get the least wheel spin. Sometimes you don’t need to lower it at all.

Keep all your your windows up.

Many races are won and lost in the first 60 feet so practice your launch!

Koz

Last edited by Koz; 11-06-07 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 07:00 AM
tt061880
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

according to all the results i've seen on the internet, I have the fastest stock Luxury Package IS350 in the country. I did that with 1/8 tank of gas, spare and jack removed, 28PSI on the rear tires. Traction control off, ECT PWR on, left it in Auto mode and no brake torque(I don't think it helps at all). That usually get me in between 13.5-13.7 depending on weather, except for one time it got down to 55F in south florida and I hit a 13.49 .
Old 09-27-07, 09:59 AM
Tony59blue
Lead Lap

One question for the guys that took the traction control off... Did you push in the traction control button or did you do the peddle dance and disabled the whole traction control system. The reason i ask is that when i took my car to the track and disabled the traction control system with the peddle dance i spun half way down the track... I haven't made a pass with just pushing in the traction control button.
Old 09-27-07, 10:28 AM
KingOfCorn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tt061880
according to all the results i've seen on the internet, I have the fastest stock Luxury Package IS350 in the country. I did that with 1/8 tank of gas, spare and jack removed, 28PSI on the rear tires. Traction control off, ECT PWR on, left it in Auto mode and no brake torque(I don't think it helps at all). That usually get me in between 13.5-13.7 depending on weather, except for one time it got down to 55F in south florida and I hit a 13.49 .
Thats pretty quick for a 4dr luxury sedan. I cant wait to see what the IS-F can do. Did you have any mods to your car or is it completely stock?

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Race HELP Needed Please (Gernby spitting shift point knowledge, use Normal)!